Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Babylon 5 Reboot in 2016

According to this article http://http://www.blastr.com/2009/11/babylon_5_creator_reboots.php Babylon 5 is going to make its big screen debut next year. He says its a plan to work the older storyline but in a new way - I am not sure how the storyline would work given the original show ran for 5 seasons and 110 episodes.

Lets wait and see what he comes out with.. Meantime he is remaking Forbidden Planet and a netflix show to boot.

AI've lost track of the number of times JMS has told us a B5 movie would be out the following year.

B5 was and still is one of the best sci-fi TV series of all time and hasn't been matched since.  I'll be revisiting B5 this Summer for the first time in ages and I can't wait.

Still a vastly underappreciated series that truly was a science fiction epic.

AYes.

(Until Season 5.)

As I see it.  The pilot movie and Season 1 serve as B5's prologue, Season 2-4 as the main story and Season 5 as the epilogue. Also, the status of B5 getting another season after 4 was up in the air until the last minute so that's why it played out the way it did.

Would rather have a sequel set 500 years after the events of the original show.  It's such an interesting universe I would love to see it revisited again.

AI realize JMS had to wrap everything up in Season 4 -- which is exactly why he ought to have let the show end on a (very) high note rather than peter out the way it did (fuck you, Byron).

Let it go, man. Let it go.

The Psi War could/should have been a highlight of S5 but...we got what we got.

One interesting thing about Babylon 5, the Message Board for that show was off the charts brilliant, in all honestly maybe more highbrow than the show deserved. (I think JMS monitored it and definitely posted there a lot).  You had discussions of ancient Babylonian religion and Zoroastrianism etc.

I contrast that with threads on Game of Thrones (which does sometimes pose some deeper questions about ethics, religion etc.) and even Mad Men, which pretty much amount to speculating on future plot developments and exclamations over one character fucking or fucking other another character.

The Web has not evolved...well.

Like I said before I consider Season 5 an epilogue, which is bookended with the great SLEEPING IN THE LIGHT series finale. As for the board for that show I wasn't on the 'Net regularly until the late 1990s after the show was done.

THE LURKER'S GUIDE TO BABYLON 5 is still up and running. Great resource for people new to the show as well longtime fans.

Sooo...better or worse than Deep Space 9? Is it the kind of thing where you have to know which episodes to skip so you don't get sick of it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

Sooo...better or worse than Deep Space 9? Is it the kind of thing where you have to know which episodes to skip so you don't get sick of it?

Tough. I think both are equally worth your time if you've not seen either although I tend to prefer B5 over DS9. Season one of B5 has some weak spots (O'Hare, for example, doesn't make for a particularly interesting lead and Bruce Boxleitner, who replaces him from season two onward, has twenty times the charisma) but seasons two through to four are really great. If you ever watched Lost and despaired at the way in which mysteries were obviously introduced with little to no forethought as to how they'll be paid off, you won't get that here. Questions posed in season one are answered in the subsequent seasons, and the answers are almost always satisfying. It lives up to its aim at being a novel told on television. Season three's finale, Z'ha'dum, was one of my favorite season finales for a very long time. I remember my initial viewing of it some years back, and being blown away by those final few minutes. The Shadows are one of televisions best villains.

DS9 is also very good, though. It doesn't aim quite as high as B5 but the characters are wonderful and, much like B5, the later seasons are enhanced by the long-running storyline of the background being foregrounded. I used to think that Next Generation was my favorite Star Trek show until I binge-watched DS9 about two years ago. It's probably my favorite Star Trek show now.

Some kind of B5 reboot could be interesting as a second draft kind of thing. It's hard to imagine a movie not feeling heavily watered down, though, and if he plans to keep the characters certain cast members would be hard to replace.

A new series set in the same continuity could also be interesting. But the problem there is always going to be: how do you follow up a story that big? There's a reason Tolkien never tried to top Lord Of The Rings.

To be honest I think I'd rather see the money spent polishing up the original series to HD standards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

Better than DS9 in every conceivable way. It takes a season and a half of great world building as well as character development and some well planted seeds before the story really takes off and does it ever take off. It's well worth sticking it out because you will be rewarded unlike other recent shows.  It's the science fiction version of Lord of the Rings and nothing this epic has been attempted on TV since.

DS9 is a Star Trek show without any clear direction from season to season. B5 is a science fiction novel with a beginning, middle and end that unfolds over five seasons. It's fantastic stuff.

I can't recommend B5 highly enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post 

DS9 is a Star Trek show without any clear direction from season to season.

Never saw B5 so I won't comment on that show (even though I'll watch it eventually), but I disagree on DS9 not having a clear direction. They do spend time building up the arcs for each character (major and supporting) and the Dominion War storyline is slowly unraveled by each season. DS9's serialized storytelling helped make it my favorite Trek show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi View Post

Never saw B5 so I won't comment on that show (even though I'll watch it eventually), but I disagree on DS9 not having a clear direction. They do spend time building up the arcs for each character (major and supporting) and the Dominion War storyline is slowly unraveled by each season. DS9's serialized storytelling helped make it my favorite Trek show.

I came along to DS9 later as it reran on the sci-fi channel up here in Canada and I admit it was a grittier Trek than we had seen before, it was still Trek to me.  B5 didn't benefit from being in the timeline of a beloved universe or ILM for it's special effects. It was a grown up, original science fiction novel on TV that had may have had a smaller budget but against all odds it succeeded.

The scope of the story and the universe it unfolds in really set the bar high for any show to come after it.  In my opinion none have and probably never will.

Love, love, love B5... Watched it growing up alongside DS9 and B5 definitely wins in my book. The idea of a reboot scares me because as much as I want more Babylon 5 there's the risk of making something terrible like Legend of the Rangers or that direct-to-video thing that came out most recently...

Babylon 5 also wins by default by not having a wedding episode.

I was lucky to have an independent channel here that showed B5 in the 1990s and holy shit was it ever excruciating waiting for a new episode during the Shadow War storyline.  Another thing that I have to give B5 credit for is depicting space combat with real(ish) physics.  B5 was truly ahead of it's time.

WB could care less about B5 outside of DVD sales so the likeliness of a reboot is highly remote and that's fine by me.

A[quote name="Headless Fett" url="/community/t/153813/babylon-5-reboot-in-2016#post_3894116"]Like I said before I consider Season 5 an epilogue, which is bookended with the great SLEEPING IN THE LIGHT series finale.
[/quote]
An epilogue puts the story to bed. It doesn't meander aimlessly and then suddenly launch a hundred new storylines in the last five episodes that it never intends to resolve.
AI was hanging out with Bruce Boxleitner a couple weeks ago. True story.

[Image: 11263054_677276195734098_416187496332995...qlJzf2bXyg]

Sounds cool, I'll jump into B5 soon. I'm getting hyped for the Sense8 premiere next week, so I'd like to see what that creator's style is all about.

Forgot to mention I already finished DS9 a couple years ago, I enjoyed most of it.

AIf you get over the ropey acting at the beginning, the occasional set and effects limitations and the odd flat episode you'll enjoy a very well constructed, fairly sophisticated and exciting space epic, the likes of which only occasionally come along. For my money it's as much of a progenitor of the modern golden age of TV as anything else and has direct lineage to stuff like Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones in trail blazing sci fi and fantasy as viable subjects for "serious" long form story telling on TV. It can be goofy as hell, but a lot of the key cast are consistently top notch and the writing in seasons 2-4 (and sometimes 1 and 5) explore interesting themes as well as bridging the epic and personal very effectively.

Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas pretty much own the thing, though. Their combined storylines are like the Odd Couple played out on a Galactic scale.

I've watched a few episodes of the 1st season,  of course it's easier since this is my third go around so it's pretty easy to get through, and what really strikes me now about B5 is how adult it was in dealing with the characters, the setting and technology.  Of course I appreciate it even more now as I've gotten older.

AThe episode with Brad Dourif as a guest star (like most times) was a gem.
AI was (and am) a huge fan. Back during the original run, I religiously videotaped every episode starting from the beginning (even edited out commercials!). The prospect of the originally-proposed Novel For Television intrigued me during the sci-fi magazine hype surrounding the pilot: JMS promised the opposite of a never-ending, episodic deep space franchise. And he delivered.

Until Season Four. After countless time slot changes and near-cancellation every season, B5 was officially given the axe. So JMS had to collapse the arc in order to wrap it all up. As a result, Season Four is a powerhouse. Not an ounce of fat. I defy anyone to watch it, even now, and not find themselves sucked in.

But then the offer came in from TNT and Season Five was commissioned. The story was over. Claudia Christian left the show amidst a lot of internet scandal. The budget was slashed. So rather than go out with a bang, an extended epilogue was tacked on. This was an opportunity -- such as it was -- to explore events previously hinted at (such as the state of things on Centauri Prime during "War Without End"). Instead, we got that terrible episode with the pointless space battle seen through the eyes of the janitors, or the one where the Minbari ranger-in-training learns to stand up for himself. We get soap opera that never goes anywhere (Lennier loves Delenn, Sheridan was married to Lochley for a week). Even the movies, which were the perfect place to explore matters off the main timeline (as was the case with IN THE BEGINNING), were completely irrelevant.

This is made all the worse by setting up stories -- at the end of the series! -- that are never resolved. Lennier is a traitor! Londo leaves a Keeper for Sheridan's son! The Telepath War is brewing! Garibaldi vs Bester! And then.......it ends.........with the door open for CRUSADE. Wait, what? A spin-off? I thought this was a novel for television rather than a deep space franchise?

Then CRUSADE gets cancelled. Presumably, plot threads were carried over there to be tied up. Nope. Not now. And now on top of that, the whole Earth Has Been Poisoned By The Drahk storyline is unfinished, too. So when JMS gets the go-ahead to do another pilot film for Syfy, what does he do? He just sets up another Ancient Evil MORE POWERFUL THAN THE SHADOWS! plot for LEGEND OF THE RANGERS........which is subsequently left to die on the vine. The DVD series LOST TALES sounded like it might wrap some of this up, but all we got was that "Exorcism on Babylon 5" thing they put out.

It lost its way. When the idea was to tell an epic tale over five seasons with a distinct beginning, middle and end, it was tight and focused. Once the idea of action figures and comic book tie-ins came along, it went off the rails.

Yeah, that network brouhaha really screwed over Season 5.  I wonder what might have been if it hadn't been axed.

A full reboot could be interesting, and would free the franchise from having to invent yet another Ancient Evil Worse Than the Last One. I'd hope for some appearances from the old cast though.

I was just going back through the original cast and was shocked by Jason Carter (Marcus Cole)'s picture. The guy must have gone through a lot over the years because he's aged quite quickly.

Am I right in remembering Jerry Doyle went on to become some kind of ranting right wing shock jock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I was just going back through the original cast and was shocked by Jason Carter (Marcus Cole)'s picture. The guy must have gone through a lot over the years because he's aged quite quickly.

I think it's just the ageing effect of having a grey beard and long grey hair. If you look at his eyes, they are older, but not decrepitly so.

From Jason Carter's IMDB page trivia! section.

"When he first joined the Babylon 5 cast he was afraid he would have to wear a skintight bodysuit. When given his Ranger uniform he was ecstatic, and declared that he could easily play Hamlet while wearing it."

Er...Hm. I don't. Eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

I think it's just the ageing effect of having a grey beard and long grey hair. If you look at his eyes, they are older, but not decrepitly so.

I suppose. It just seems as though he's aged much quicker than the others in the cast. Someone on his IMDb forum (as reliable a source as it may be) commented that the death of Richard Biggs (Dr. Franklin) hit Carter really hard, and that he's supposedly been in a deep depression for several years which stopped him working. Depending on how true that is, it's another possible explanation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

From Jason Carter's IMDB page trivia! section.

"When he first joined the Babylon 5 cast he was afraid he would have to wear a skintight bodysuit. When given his Ranger uniform he was ecstatic, and declared that he could easily play Hamlet while wearing it."

Er...Hm. I don't. Eh?

That is.... bizarre.

I don't see what's bizarre. Everyone else is wearing jumpsuits, and he gets a doublet and a cape. Could work for any time period.

I can't see him wearing it for Hamlet but I'll certainly agree with you about it in the context of the other characters' uniforms.

AConsidering his character is Space Lancelot by way of Space Aragorn, I don't see why the quote is so confusing.
AJust sounds so precious. A no jumpsuit rule but giddy as a school girl to be dressed in a cape in a sci fi show.

Maybe I'm just a misanthrope. Or perhaps it's just a Brit thing.