Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Maybe, Possibly, Impending Destruction of Louis CK
AYeah, it's not the process that fucks them up, they're fucked up before they ever begin. It's why they begin. And why they don't quit.

No sane person is going to go through the shit you have to go through to become a successful artist.
AIt's not even celebrity, but often, I believe, the creative urge. When you have that urge you live inside your head a lot (speaking from experience) and it can get weird up there. You're constantly molding abstract notions like emotion and fantasy and spend a lot of time being your own therapist. That shit can effect your behavior in the real world.

I'm cognizant enough of my own behavior, respectful enough of the space of others and observant enough of social mores to not breach the kind of social contract that CK appears to have done, but I have enough damaged / destroyed romances and friendships in my past to understand that deep residency in my own brain has done me few favors.
AI can't say my creative urges have ever made me want to make people watch me jack off, frankly.
AGive it time Commodore. We all develop at different speeds.
A[quote name="commodorejohn" url="/community/t/153845/the-maybe-possibly-impending-destruction-of-louis-ck#post_3901933"]I can't say my creative urges have ever made me want to make people watch me jack off, frankly.[/quote]

I think a lot of creative people are, to a degree, socially maladjusted, it's just a matter of degrees. There's a soft and sometimes full-blown sociopathy to this. None of that is to say that CK should be excused for this if he's guilty of it, he's a grown man, I'm just entertaining the idea that I may have some sense of why he'd be so dumb about this.

Also, look at Letterman. He could have run through as many hookers as he'd wanted (and probably has), but he was having sex with women on his staff. From that perspective, it doesn't shock me that CK would do this to peers. I bet part of the kick for him, if it's true, is that they don't want to be there.

Just my 2 cents, but there is a Grand Canyon wide gap between needing attention/validation, and needing to forcibly make people watch you jerk off.

*not saying this in opposition to any previous posts here, just that I don't see the link between nonconsensual sexual activity and the overall creative mindset

APersonally, as an artist, I try to find more creative ways to gross people out.
AIs this story going anywhere? I read an interview with Jen Kirkman where she pretty much walked back what she'd said on her podcast.

We need Hannibal Buress to talk about it in his act, I guess.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Pretty much.

A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/153845/the-maybe-possibly-impending-destruction-of-louis-ck/0_50#post_3903265"]Is this story going anywhere? I read an interview with Jen Kirkman where she pretty much walked back what she'd said on her podcast. .[/quote]
Maybe she was just telling her own version of the Aristocrats.
A
Quote:

Is this story going anywhere? I read an interview with Jen Kirkman where she pretty much walked back what she'd said on her podcast.

I read the same thing and listened to the podcast. She seemed to imply that Louis CK knew she was going to talk about it and that he didn't care. I find this difficult to believe, but oh well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

Yeah, it's not the process that fucks them up, they're fucked up before they ever begin. It's why they begin. And why they don't quit.

No sane person is going to go through the shit you have to go through to become a successful artist.

I know plenty of fucked up IT guys, Sales guys, Accountants etc. They're just quieter about it. (except the Salesguys, who just don't have the audience these artists have)

Quote:

Is this story going anywhere? I read an interview with Jen Kirkman where she pretty much walked back what she'd said on her podcast.

Walked back? You mean took back or.....I have never heard that phrase.

AWell, you're missing out on a good phrase there, Waaaaalt.
Quote:

Well, you're missing out on a good phrase there, Waaaaalt.

Well walked sounds like she went over it again took back is more recanted to me....look the world is confusing to me sometimes.

A@_@

Waaaaalt is the Drax of the boards.

"Why would she walk backwards in an interview?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike's Pants View Post

Waaaaalt is the Drax of the boards.

"Why would she walk backwards in an interview?"

Yes! Why?

I use the phrase "back pedal" 'round these here parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Quote:

I read the same thing and listened to the podcast. She seemed to imply that Louis CK knew she was going to talk about it and that he didn't care. I find this difficult to believe, but oh well.

Can you post the link to the Kirkman interview?

AJust Google "jen kirkman."
A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/153845/the-maybe-possibly-impending-destruction-of-louis-ck/50_50#post_3906051"]Just Google "jen kirkman."[/quote]
Can you post the link for Google?
AJust Google "google."

Just Ask Jeeves.

A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/153845/the-maybe-possibly-impending-destruction-of-louis-ck/50_50#post_3906337"]Just Google "google."[/quote]
Sounds NSFW

Seemed like the murmurs against Louis would never transcend the surface, right? Enter Tig Notaro.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-...story.html

Damn, sounds like she really does not like him. Wouldn't be surprised if this ramps up.

Yes I posted about this in the abuse of women and is Joss Whedon a monster thread. And yeah this might get people talking again.

I'm kind of tired of how vague this is, because all I keep hearing is "yeah, I've heard stories", or there was an "incident".  Somebody needs to come forward and confirm that it happened to them and lay it all out there.  I know it can be tough to do that, but until that happens it's little more than gossip mongering, and if he is doing it, it gives him the impression that he can keep doing it to other people.

It was same situation with Cosby. Who was huge in his heyday so of course people are afraid to come out and expose some unpleasant shit about their favorite comedian.

These rumors need to be confirmed or laid to rest once and for all.

Louis CK doesn't have the "godly" status that Bill Cosby held with people. He's famous but not far enough where he can "ruin" somebody like Cosby could have in his heyday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

I'm kind of tired of how vague this is, because all I keep hearing is "yeah, I've heard stories", or there was an "incident".  Somebody needs to come forward and confirm that it happened to them and lay it all out there.  I know it can be tough to do that, but until that happens it's little more than gossip mongering, and if he is doing it, it gives him the impression that he can keep doing it to other people.

Agreed. This needs to be a "Yes, this is what he did to me..." or this story will go around for a few days and be forgotten with "allegations" against countless other stars that did nothing to hurt them.

AI think that's already happened though? I don't recall her name, but a female comic said that after his performance, she visited him in his hotel room along with another female friend, and he proceeded to block the door and masturbate in front of them, despite being asked to stop.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Macken View Post

I think that's already happened though? I don't recall her name, but a female comic said that after his performance, she visited him in his hotel room along with another female friend, and he proceeded to block the door and masturbate in front of them, despite being asked to stop.

Other than Jen Kirkman I don't think there have been any firm hand account accusations. She said that he said something creepy, nothing physical. The rumor was that he pulled that on Garfunkel and Oates but I don't believe either one of them confirmed it.

Still I think this is going to get bigger and we are going to hear more. It's not going away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

...I don't think there have been any firm hand account accusations.

Alrighty then.

ew no!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Alrighty then.

HAH! Ohh my mind is a terrible place.