NO! STOP!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

The rumor was that he pulled that

c'mon waaaaalt

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

c'mon Waaaaaaaalt

Here's an interesting column on this posted just yesterday - http://hazlitt.net/feature/truth-jest

Quote:

His insistence that none of this matters has kept the subject from troubling his public image not because this work/life argument is ironclad, but because most of the people who admire his work really don’t want to think about the rumours at all. If you’re a Louis C.K. fan, his reasoning is attractive for the same reason it’s logically dubious—because an essential part of his act is the assumption that it’s scaffolded by a moral conscience. If the structural integrity of the whole thing starts to give way, then suddenly your favourite comedian might not be your favourite comedian anymore. If these rumours were true, they would suck the life out of a lot of his best jokes, because their humour depends on the idea that they don’t end with a crime. A bit about how men are the number one threat to women doesn’t land quite the same way if the man doing it is guilty of sexual assault. It’s both easier for C.K. and better for his brand if he just keeps his mouth shut.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

Here's an interesting column on this posted just yesterday - http://hazlitt.net/feature/truth-jest

His insistence that none of this matters has kept the subject from troubling his public image not because this work/life argument is ironclad, but because most of the people who admire his work really don’t want to think about the rumours at all. If you’re a Louis C.K. fan, his reasoning is attractive for the same reason it’s logically dubious—because an essential part of his act is the assumption that it’s scaffolded by a moral conscience. If the structural integrity of the whole thing starts to give way, then suddenly your favourite comedian might not be your favourite comedian anymore. If these rumours were true, they would suck the life out of a lot of his best jokes, because their humour depends on the idea that they don’t end with a crime. A bit about how men are the number one threat to women doesn’t land quite the same way if the man doing it is guilty of sexual assault. It’s both easier for C.K. and better for his brand if he just keeps his mouth shut.

Well yes and, like I was saying in the Cosby thread, there seems to be this almost religious thing people have with talented famous people. Some secret belief that god would not reward a person with that amazing gift if they were a bad person.

Even more bizarre that a couple of Louie's bits were being passed around in feminist circles. Specifically the one mentioned above about the dangers of men and the one about how great being a white man is. Not to mention his support for Clinton "Shes a mother!".

Quote:

Louie's bits

ew no

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

ew no

Quote:

Other than Jen Kirkman I don't think there have been any firm hand account accusations. She said that he said something creepy, nothing physical. The rumor was that he pulled that on Garfunkel and Oates but I don't believe either one of them confirmed it.

So we have one person who said nothing happened, and unsubstantiated gossip based in two people who've confirmed nothing.

There's a reason this isn't gaining any traction.  Where's smoke there's fire, but there's not even smoke.

Gotta admit, there is *a little* smoke (the Tig Notaro interview raises a few questions) even if I hope it will amount to nothing (as in "nothing happened, not CK will get away it", of course). And I am not easily shocked, here in France we got a president who used public money to pay the bodyguards in charge of his illegitimate daughter (she's now a respected writer) and another president's nickname was '2 minutes, shower included'. I'm even glad Polanski is not being extraded!

Quote:

Louis C.K. is a credited producer, but you have said he's not involved in the show. You recently gave an interview to the Daily Beast where you said C.K. should "handle" the sexual allegations that have been alleged against him, by anonymous sources and Roseanne Barr. Have you spoken to him? [C.K. did not respond to THR's request for comment. He addressed the allegations in a 2016 interview with Vulture.]

I have not spoken to Louis in probably going on two years now. I will never hear from Louis C.K. again.

Not even after you called him out for the similarities of his SNL sketch?

No. I never heard from him. I will never hear from him.

Why is his name still attached? Is the intention that after this season, he will remove it?

I don’t know. There are so many things I don’t know.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-fe...-2-1037456

Considering the scene in the show they're discussing, and the autobiographical nature of the show itself, it's not difficult to read between the lines.

Apparently Louis CK had a "secret movie" play at Toronto called I LOVE YOU, DADDY. It's basically about a man whose daughter interns/begins working for a director he idolizes, but who has been accused of sexual assault a la Allen and Polanski. The director is played by John Malkovich, the daughter is played by Chloe Grace Moretz, and the man is played by Louis himself. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/movie...r&_r=0

home taping is killing music
AOHHHHHMAN

This clip takes on a different meaning, given recent reports.

Maybe it's because of the Cosby scandal (Or the Gomeshi scandal), but it wouldn't phase me if it was true. Hell, look at Devin. You might have thought he was an asshole, but you probably didn't think he was out groping people. He supported women, took down misogynistic gamers and men's rights advocates, but it obviously was insincere, or at the very least, was him making up for his past misdeeds.

As much as I like Louis CK, I always had a problem with this scene from "Louie", where he forces himself on the Pamela Adlon character

I didn't care for the line "This would be rape, if you weren't so stupid", as if he decides what counts as rape. But it was also the fact the scene was never addressed after that, and the two characters ended up together. All handled on the weak defense that "sometimes love is complicated".

A[quote name="t3cii" url="/community/t/153845/the-maybe-possibly-impending-destruction-of-louis-ck/50#post_4361019"]or at the very least, was him making up for his past misdeeds.[/quote]
Nah.
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3cii View Post

As much as I like Louis CK, I always had a problem with this scene from "Louie", where he forces himself on the Pamela Adlon character

I didn't care for the line "This would be rape, if you weren't so stupid", as if he decides what counts as rape. But it was also the fact the scene was never addressed after that, and the two characters ended up together. All handled on the weak defense that "sometimes love is complicated".

Yeah I just marathoned this a few months ago and that scene was so fucking.......im not sure why he thought that was a good idea.

Quote:

Yeah I just marathoned this a few months ago and that scene was so fucking.......im not sure why he thought that was a good idea.

Well it's obviously because he locks women in rooms and jerks off in front of them, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

Well it's obviously because he locks women in rooms and jerks off in front of them, right?

No. In general it wasn't a good idea unless you are trying to make your main character a sexual assault champion.

Although if I was getting accused of something like that I wouldn't film some shit like that.

Quote:

In general it wasn't a good idea unless you are trying to make your main character a sexual assault champion.

I would say that films and TV shows are full of awful, reprehensible characters that are even central to those stories.  That's nothing new.  I think the accusations are causing people to retroactively judge CK's work in some sort of 'gotcha' fashion, which is weird to me because so far there have been only the vaguest of rumors and nothing definitive.

I would be a whole lot more open to these critiques if something more substantial came to light, but so far all I'm hearing is stuff I hear about alot of celebrities that get made up for all kinds of reasons.  Its hard to separate the wheat from the chaff in those situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

I would say that films and TV shows are full of awful, reprehensible characters that are even central to those stories.  That's nothing new.  I think the accusations are causing people to retroactively judge CK's work in some sort of 'gotcha' fashion, which is weird to me because so far there have been only the vaguest of rumors and nothing definitive.

I would be a whole lot more open to these critiques if something more substantial came to light, but so far all I'm hearing is stuff I hear about alot of celebrities that get made up for all kinds of reasons.  Its hard to separate the wheat from the chaff in those situations.

No, I just think the scene is creepy and I don't know how im supposed to root for that relationship. I can watch anything by any artist. Polanski, Mel Gibson, Victor Salva. For whatever reason I can detach myself from from what I think about the actor or director.

Quote:

No, I just think the scene is creepy. I can watch anything by any artist. Polanski, Mel Gibson, Victor Salva. For whatever reason I can detach myself from from what I think about the actor or director.

I don't think someone writes and directs a scene like that expecting people to feel good about it.  CK's character on that show is weird in general.  So yeah, it's creepy, but so what?

Again, there's no connective tissue to the rumors since there's not even been a victim that's come forward.  It's Hollywood gossip at this point.

AClownhouse is the single most tainted film ever for me (which doesn't really wind me up that much because it's not very good).That one is nigh impossible to separate what happened behind the scenes from the experience of actually viewing it..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Clownhouse is the single most tainted film ever for me (which doesn't really wind me up that much because it's not very good).That one is nigh impossible to separate what happened behind the scenes from the experience of actually viewing it..

I can but that ass shot does remind you.

I've always thought a lot of CK's stuff was him thinking "What's the worst, most horrible thing I can think of.  Okay.  Now how do I make people laugh at that?"  Sometimes it works.  Other times, like the case of this scene, it doesn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

I've always thought a lot of CK's stuff was him thinking "What's the worst, most horrible thing I can think of.  Okay.  Now how do I make people laugh at that?"  Sometimes it works.  Other times, like the case of this scene, it doesn't.

Pretty much.

You can also add most comedians to that list.

In case anyone's interested, Jen Kirkman's confirmed this week that whoever she was talking about, it's not Louis CK.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

Huh. So, rumors and provocative innuendo that amounts to nothing?

Guys, is it okay to laugh at Louis CK's comedy or not?!?!?!

I'm sure Boone will issue an official edict any minute now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

I'm sure Boone will issue an official edict any minute now.

Oh, go fuck yourself. There's my edict.

Testy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Testy...

This is no "ugh" as a single word response, for what it's worth. 

For the record, and the cheap seats, I've made it abundantly clear, multiple times, that I treat discussions here like a boxing match, with no hard feelings once a discussion resolves or peters out, but you seem to insist that I go actively looking for cornflakes to piss in and it is unbelievably frustrating.

I'm not a fan, overall, of Louis C.K.'s work - his comedy or his show - so I haven't really had to develop an opinion on his personal life, but it does seem like the complaints/concerns about him go beyond a single comedian.

Are there any named accusers at this point? I'm not exactly up to speed here.

The Tig Notaro thing sounded very ambiguous.

AOr maybe it's cause most people don't like it when someone treats a conversation like a fist fight and see that as approaching an issue with bad faith, even if unintentionally.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

For the record, and the cheap seats, I've made it abundantly clear, multiple times, that I treat discussions here like a boxing match, with no hard feelings once a discussion resolves or peters out, but you seem to insist that I go actively looking for cornflakes to piss in and it is unbelievably frustrating.

I treat discussions here as discussions, myself. I think you're great, and I only find you personally frustrating when you (sometimes) act as The One True Arbiter of Feminism around here.