Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Maybe, Possibly, Impending Destruction of Louis CK
A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/153845/the-maybe-possibly-impending-destruction-of-louis-ck/150#post_4401561"]https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/amp/i-love-you-daddy-2017[/quote]
Daaaaaamn.
Quote:If there's one thing we know for sure about people who are accused of indecent exposure, it's that the thrill of getting away with it is the true source of their pleasure. This is the movie version of a pervert in a raincoat flashing you, deftly enough that you aren't sure you saw what you saw. In retrospect, much of "Louie" now plays like a dry run for what he'd do on the big screen with "I Love You, Daddy," which leaves the raincoat open while its owner makes eye contact and dares you to deny what's happening. My notes consist of a single sentence: "It's like he's rubbing it in our faces."
Quote:The movie's unblinking eye, combined with the lush music, strand the picture in a No Man's Land between sentimentality and satire. It's the place where "edgy" comedies like this settle when they want to simultaneously disturb viewers and make them wonder if there's really something wrong or if they're just misreading signals or assuming the worst. Watching the movie is like being in a situation where you worry that somebody's manipulating you but you can't be certain if you're right. The little voice in the pit of your stomach tells you that something is wrong here, but when you start to articulate objections, the person who's gotten you worried says, "Oh, no! That's not what I meant. Everything's fine. Have a drink! Here, I'll make it for you." Then he turns his back so you can't see what he's putting in the glass.

...am I a bad person for wishing CaptainZahn was still around so I could do a Nelson Muntz "HA HA!!!" over all this?
Awhat does CaptainZahn have to do with this?
AEh, just remembering some old posts where he was lecturing stridently about how people didn't appreciate how great C.K. was for being a Real Progressive and Speaking Truth to Power, which All You Philistines couldn't understand was the Real Purpose of Comedy...
Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Eh, just remembering some old posts where he was lecturing stridently about how people didn't appreciate how great C.K. was for being a Real Progressive and Speaking Truth to Power, which All You Philistines couldn't understand was the Real Purpose of Comedy...

Ohhh......oh ho.

Awell, to be fair to zahn, louie CK's comedy and views spouted were comedy and progressive kibble and CK played his part very well and fooled many
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

well, to be fair to zahn, louie CK's comedy and views spouted were comedy and progressive kibble and CK played his part very well and fooled many

NOT ME!

A"Fooled" being the operative here.

YOU FOOLS!!!
Aso what was the criticism towards CK that he was defending against?
ASo here's a question. Is CK done? In the same way that Kevin Spacey is done?

I was talking to Mrs Pants about this, she says yes, I say maybe. The platform and reverence he's enjoyed has gone for good, but can a comedian slip back into the underground scene in a way that an actor can't? I would say there are plenty of fans who are willing to accept that statement and still pay money to see him.

I'm not sure where I stand. I would absolutely consider him a hero of mine and everything from the intial accusations to the admission has just been devastating. So at the moment fuck him, he's admitting now because he has no choice, not because his conscious compelled him,... but if he was playing in my home town in ten years time would I go and see him? I don't know.

This is different to Polanski or Allen or Spacey. You can still watch LA Confidential or Annie Hall and block out the ickiness if you want to just enjoy a film. With comedians, (especially those who provide social commentary) every minute is given new context. His bit about men being the greatest threat to women is utter horseshit now, every time he mentions his daughters or talks about masterbation (and there was a lot of talk about masterbation) the image of him fapping away to a pair of horrified women is all anyone will see.

I keep thinking about that mad scene in Louie when he tries to have sex with Pamela Adlon. I couldn't figure out what he was trying to do at the time but now? Was it a weird confession. Adlon says the line "This would be rape if you weren't so stupid." Is that how he feels about what he did? Imagine having the ego to write a scene like that knowing what you had done.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike's Pants View Post

So here's a question. Is CK done? In the same way that Kevin Spacey is done?

This is different to Polanski or Allen or Spacey. You can still watch LA Confidential or Annie Hall and block out the ickiness if you want to just enjoy a film. With comedians, (especially those who provide social commentary) every minute is given new context. His bit about men being the greatest threat to women is utter horseshit now, every time he mentions his daughters or talks about masterbation (and there was a lot of talk about masterbation) the image of him fapping away to a pair of horrified women is all anyone will see.

I dunno, I think that makes him more truthful albeit in a really horrific way.

His directing, writing and acting career is done. At the very least, he won't be doing it for a very, very long time. I think his stand-up career will persevere, though. He's extremely popular in that regard and he'll probably always have a fanbase willing to pay to see him live. I know many saw his stand-up work as a progressive George Carlin successor type, but he's also always had a foot firmly planted in the Opie & Anthony world...and those types of fans (see: misogynists) will probably think this makes him more edgy. Plus, he's given exposure to countless stand-ups by putting them in Louie and his other projects, so I doubt the Jim Nortons, Doug Stanhopes, Todd Barrys and Nick Di Paolos of the world will turn their backs on him.

ACK will be back in 3 or 4 years with a standup special, and it will be absolutely fucking hilarious.

I am pretty sure of that.

he can pull it off!!!

(don't you fix me, overlord!!!)

ABut can he go a whole special not mimicking jerking off? Not sure if he can pull that off.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

But can he go a whole special not mimicking jerking off? Not sure if he can pull that off.

Just for fun he should ask the audience if he can mimick jerking off before he does it.

A[quote name="Zhukov" url="/community/t/153845/the-maybe-possibly-impending-destruction-of-louis-ck/150#post_4402024"]CK will be back in 3 or 4 years with a standup special, and it will be absolutely fucking hilarious.

I am pretty sure of that.[/quote]

Louis CK: Live on the Sunset Strip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

Just for fun he should ask the audience if he can mimick jerking off before he does it.

and before the crowd can even react...

(exits slam shut and lock)

(and he goes for it)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

and before the crowd can even react...

(exits slam shut and lock)

(and he goes for it)

We NEED to be producers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post