Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unsullied Thread: Game of Thrones Season 6 ~ NO SPOILER ZONE (At Risk of Banning)
AToo soon?* Who cares? Though we are now "basically" on the same page as those who read and all that kind of nerdy shit, the rules are still in play. If you literate types happen to get your wish from rapey Santa Claus before Spring '16, keep that stuff away from this thread. If it hasn't been on the show or in the supplements, it doesn't belong in this thread. I wish to again insist that if you are a sullied, that you check and double check that whatever you post here in reference to past seasons, ACTUALLY HAPPENED or was mentioned on the show. No spoiler tags. No exceptions.

*Yes this thread will get buried, but basic, non-spoilery production information is trickling out, so this should be the place for that.

It's really not too early since filming begins next month and casting/location/director info has already begun to spread.

On the director front, we have Miguel Sapochnik and Jeremy Podeswa returning from Season 5, as well as newcomer Jack Bender, who's directed for Carnivale, The Sopranos and Lost.  Bender confirmed he was doing two episodes, and presumably the others are as well.

And now we have the full list:

Quote:

Episodes 1 and 2 – Jeremy Podeswa: Director for Season 5’s “Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken” and “Kill the Boy.”

Episodes 3 and 4 – Daniel Sackheim: The other newbie, Sackheim’s experience dates all the way back to Miami Vice along with his other notable work fromThe X-Files, Lie to Me, House and The Americans.

Episodes 5 and 6 -Jack Bender: According to the EW article, Bender directed an impressive 38 episodes of Lost as well as episodes of The Last Ship and Alcatraz to his credit.

Episodes 7 and 8 –Mark Mylod: Director for Season 5’s “High Sparrow” and “Sons of the Harpy.”

Episodes 9 and 10 -Miguel Sapochnik: If you watched “Hardhome,” you likely already know about this guy. He also directed “The Gift” from Season 5.

Guess Alex Graves needed more than a year off.

AI've been wondering if Graves' name being attached to one of the most ill-received episodes in the show's history caused some friction behind the scenes. Outside of that one scene he did a great job last year, and it's not like he has final edit, but man, the total lack of a unified response was disastrous (likely because no one wanted to admit to it being the result of poor blocking and editing). I knew Sapochnik was coming back and I fully expected him to get episode 9 or 10 next year, but I'm even more excited at the prospect of him getting both.

I would strongly doubt that the rape controversy has kept Alex Graves off the show.  He's done some of the best episodes and when it comes to significant botched character moments the buck stops at D&D anyway.

It would still be fascinating to read the script for that scene.  And like you say, directors are journeyman in the TV world and do not enjoy final cut.  I remember listening to commentary on one of MacLaren's episodes where she was surprised to find an extravagant long shot excised, speculating in real time about why the producers cut it.

Holy shit, you guys

I'm honestly surprised he didn't show up sooner, considering his existing relationship with HBO.

Maisie Williams and Rory McCann wielded the word "cunt" with plenty of expertise, but they're busting out the patron saint this go round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Holy shit, you guys

Holy shit #2, you guys! (Max von Sydow!)

Hopefully he'll resemble something more like this

Instead of "Dumbledore in a tree"...

Handmade Software, Inc. Image Alchemy v1.14

I'm thinking this should've had a poll attached for whether Jon Snow comes back or not.  The more I think about it, the more it seems like he has to.

I think he does.  But he doesn't have to for a while.  We can stew for a season or so.  Save his return for sweeps week!

Keep him off the show.  Make everyone crave his return. Then when he does come back, even the haters are like "Hell yeah, motherfucker!"  Kind of like the McRib.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

Kind of like the McRib.

Bad analogy, considering that the McRib is the single worst thing ever created by mankind in our civilization's history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Bad analogy, considering that the McRib is the single worst thing ever created by mankind in our civilization's history.

But when they bring it back, people go apeshit over them.

AYou have to bring him back right away, or else it potentially puts all the dozens of dead characters back on the table for resurrection. A series that has gone to such lengths to establish its commitment to life and death stakes is not going to start raising the dead in willy nilly fashion.

But then what do I know. I like the mcrib.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

I beg to differ.

As I said in the thread for the previous season Jon being dead or Stannis being alive would be TERRIBLE writing. Fuck all the "LOL Martin kills characters" reactions. Cutting an arc three quarters in after you've literally spent hours and hours on it is horrible writing worthy of a high school essay.

I think Jon Snow will absolutely come back.  But I also think he isn't going to come back 100% as the Jon we know and love.

Look at Beric Dondarrion or Khal Drogo's resurrection waaaaay back in Season 1.  This type of magic always has a price attached.

Oh, he will definitely be different. He won't be sticking around Castle Black for one. But he won't be dead.

A1 - the Doubledown is delicious
2 - there are some far worse options and it's really in the middle of the spectrum. All the bigger burgers are worse as is a Chipotle burrito.
3 - damn I want one now

I don't get people being outraged by the KFC Double Down.  It's basically a Chicken Cordon Bleu lazily slapped together.  What's the big deal?

It strangles the hearts of those you love most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelios View Post

Oh, he will definitely be different. He won't be sticking around Castle Black for one. But he won't be dead.

He'll be UN-dead. Part of me thinks (sadly) Jon Snow might end up the ultimate villain of this series, or he'll at least be brought into conflict with Dani.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd View Post

He'll be UN-dead. Part of me thinks (sadly) Jon Snow might end up the ultimate villain of this series, or he'll at least be brought into conflict with Dani.

I think it is a little too late in the series to turn Snow into a villain. Although I suppose if any character had a reason to just say "fuck it!" and start slaughtering people who get in his way it is him. Being honorable and noble got his family killed, his first love killed, and now it got him killed. If he doesn't have at least a little more ruthlessness to him when he returns I'll be surprised.

Are you kidding? Now he's got enough reason to give a puppy-eyed stare sad enough to collapse the entire continent into weepy despair!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd View Post

I don't know. The only other priestess like Mellisandre we saw was literally singing Dani's praises. Assuming that this whole fire god thing is a coherent religion it wouldn't make sense having Jon fight Dani. But then again, stranger things have happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelios View Post

I don't know. The only other priestess like Mellisandre we saw was literally singing Dani's praises. Assuming that this whole fire god thing is a coherent religion it wouldn't make sense having Jon fight Dani. But then again, stranger things have happened.

This is true, though who's to say that just because Mel brings him back to life (which, c'mon, we ALL know this is in the cards, why else have her come back to the wall?) doesn't mean he'll stick with their religion. Hell, who's to say that after he kills the Night's King he won't take over his armies? Again, we don't know what we'll be dealing with here with Undead Jon Snow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbrother View Post

I think it is a little too late in the series to turn Snow into a villain. Although I suppose if any character had a reason to just say "fuck it!" and start slaughtering people who get in his way it is him. Being honorable and noble got his family killed, his first love killed, and now it got him killed. If he doesn't have at least a little more ruthlessness to him when he returns I'll be surprised.

EXACTLY. Remember every tragic villain? Remember those villains who were boo hissable until they revealed their tragic backstory where they started off good and pure until the cruelties of the world slowly chipped away their decency? What if we're seeing a villain's backstory play out live? I mean if anyone, ANYONE has a reason to want to see the seven kingdoms be torn apart, it's a Stark. Bolton's rule their territory. Frey's rule the riverlands. Lannister's are still king. Would anyone blame Undead Jon Snow for sending a bunch of undead flayed corpses to rip Ramsay apart?

Come to think of it, having RezJon turn heel could be a pretty interesting development. Trying to "pacify" Westeros by taking over the Walkers and marching them south.

Nah.  Zombie Jon is totally going to get down with Dany, and she's going to have like ten thousand of his babies. They'll be ruling Westeros together by the end of the story.

AI don't want that. I want at least one of them to heroically lay their life down. At least. And I mean proper down, not this half-assed, might-be-reanimated down.

If there's any throne to speak of at the end it should be Sansa atop it with Brienne as Hand. Either that or Hot Pie with Pod as Hand. It's kind of flip-a-coin at this point.
AIn all of these end game conversations, I never know what to do with the Lannisters. A mythology is taking shape and it seems to primarily involve the Starks and the Targaryens, but the Lannisters feel like outliers.

House Lannister doesn't make it out alive, methinks.

AWill GRR&D&D have the balls to kill 'em all? Even their pet Tyrion?
ATyrion feels like a final season kill than any of the last three relevant Lannisters. It would be kind of amazing if Cersei turns into an especially shady Guinevere figure and winds up in a nunnery or something like that, but I don't see that happening.

Jaime is a bizarre character, even for this show. His road to redemption is filled with potholes and he's been sort of meandering about these past two seasons after absolutely crushing it in S3, but I'm hoping we get a better sense of what he's meant to be in this story when he gets home to an even crazier sister-lover, a family legacy in tatters and a dead daughter-niece on his hands.