Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The All Purpose MMO Thread
So I stayed up until 2 a.m. playing STO last night, both my new Delta recruit and my level 50 commander. Starting to get into all the new content, but I'll have to go to third parties if I want to learn how to properly do things like R&D, duty officers, upgrading (seriously, there's an entire "Upgrade" system that I have no idea how to use, or what you can even upgrade). Basically I just want to know if there are systems I need to be benefiting from that I'm currently not.

Also, is there anything in the real-money store worth buying other than cosmetics? Quality of life improvements?

Also, STO in widescreen:

Attached Files Image(s)

The upgrade system raises the item level of ground and space gear, up to Mk XIV.  (This may be the only way that gear can get that high; the highest level random drops that I've seen have been Mk XIII common whites).  There's also a chance to improve the quality of the item, from white to green to blue to purple to "ultraviolet" to gold.  

The consumables that the upgrade system uses can be crafted, and it usually takes a bit of dilithium to use as well.  If you've got the Admiralty minigame figured out, where you can send ships out on something similar to duty officer assignments, the Tour of Duty assignment chain from the Romulan Republic Admiralty awards some dilithium-free item upgrade doodads every time you complete their ten mission assignment chain.

If you want to tinker with this, I recommend upgrading weapons first.  The jump in base weapon damage from Mk XIII to Mk XIV is pretty terrific, and is a large part of the reason why older and more established characters are able to carry new characters with Mk X gear in the queues.

There's also a new salvage system, which I haven't played with at all yet.  The gist, as I understand it, is that you can break down the vendor junk gear that you find in loot drops and use the resulting currency to reroll the stats on the gear you want to keep - stats meaning the extra accuracy, crit chance, crit severity, that sort of thing.

They've been commendably honest about keeping item upgrades and salvage out of the store and in the actual game, preventing a "pay to win" situation.  About the only quality of life improvement that feels mandatory to me is the one that increases the size of your duty officer roster, but that's just because I'm a hoarder.

I got a late start today, and just finished lunch.  I'll be Elder Scrolls Online in time for Saxon's planned meetup at 3 PM EDT today, if any of y'all are reading this right now.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
Thanks Reasor! Did my first few Admiralty missions last night. Where do those ships I send out come from, and is there a way to acquire more? It's so weird how these games can pull you back in to these rabbit holes of minor improvements to what you have. 

I didn't even know there were item levels above purple. Great. Even more stuff to lust for.

Had a blast in ESO yesterday with the gang, and having fun with it again too. As with all MMOs, my enthusiasm waxes and wanes with the tides.

The cards that you get to deploy on the Admiralty missions are based on your ship collection. Players had asked for ages for some form of multi-ship command gameplay ("let us promote our bridge officers to Captain and they can command our other ships as combat pets" turned up a lot on the forums), and making a variant of the duty officer system was what they went with. It's a trivial enough system that players won't feel pressured to buy ships for it.

If you own ships on your account that aren't showing up in your Admiralty list, especially ships that are in the store, you can reclaim copies of those lower level ships any time after level 52 (when the Admiralty system kicks in) and the ships will be added to your Admiralty list.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
**sigh**

FINE, I'LL RESUBSCRIBE.