Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
John Oliver becomes Pen Pals with Robert Tilton-It Gets Wierd

I remember seeing this crook growing up and had no idea he was still at it.   You will not believe how insane it gets to be on Robert Tilton's mailing list.   It's 20 minutes long but worth watching...

Goddamn, that's a hell of a sequence.  One of the best things Oliver has done, and that's saying something.

John Oliver is weirdly, one of the best journalists working today.  I can't get enough of the guy.  Hilarious, crazily insightful and really unafraid to go for the jugular when needed.

That cunt acting smug about his two planes he bought CASH fills me with a seething rage.

Yeah I watched this earlier today and holy shit! Liek I knew these guys were bad but I thought the most outrageous stuff was in the past. Like I thought guys like joel Oswhatever were a joke but according to this he has to be the cleanest of that group. My favorite one was Peter Popoff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

Goddamn, that's a hell of a sequence.  One of the best things Oliver has done, and that's saying something.

It's certainly up there (and the reveal about how these charlatans exploit vulnerable people made me incredibly angry) but I think his interview with Edward Snowden and the related sequence which showed how little the American public understood about the documents he'd released is still the high point.

AI sent Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption a check for $10. Hope I get some oil packets in return!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmurdoch View Post

I sent Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption a check for $10. Hope I get some oil packets in return!

How are you, lupus-wise?

Cured yet?

A[quote name="stelios" url="/community/t/154284/john-oliver-becomes-pen-pals-with-robert-tilton-it-gets-wierd#post_3931312"]
How are you, lupus-wise?

Cured yet?
[/quote]

I think the check needs to clear first before my seed begins to grow.

I thought for sure Tilton was gone for good after this report in '91.   The end is just crushing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamotv View Post

I thought for sure Tilton was gone for good after this report in '91.   The end is just crushing.

Aww the saddest dumpster. You really could do a documentary about just that.

AThe dumpster is what sealed Tilton's fate for a while. Those images of unread prayer requests was heartbreaking (while the checks were ripped out and cashed)

Sadly, there are always suckers... and humanity has a short memory.

See also everyone who thinks Donald Trump is serious about running for President, has any chance in Hell of getting elected President, and would in fact make a great President.

I know I'm probably alone here (and maybe it's that I just never found Oliver funny) but this seems kind of weak. I mean if you have the time and resources to pull off a stunt like this, maybe pick something better and more current to stick it to. Televangelists were already past low hanging satirical fruit status by the time Genesis did "Jesus He Knows Me". Snakes who invoke God will always be able to take money from foolish/gullible people, and unfortunately society will always have a blindspot to this, it's not really news. When Colbert created Americans for a Better Tomorrow Tomorrow, it was funny and timely and genuinely brilliant. This IMHO is not.

AI think what Oliver did was open up a larger conversation about how people and institutions play the tax code for nefarious reasons and trust me, whenever I see snake oil salesmen steer cancer patients and the like away from traditional medical care, I get pissed because that means something to me.

Oliver's show is about those blindspots, those "little" things that slip by us because they're ignored by the 24hr news cycle. If it's still happening, it isn't passe.

Besides, he's not the only game in town. Last Week Tonight has to take into consideration the content and formats of The Daily Show, The Nightly Show, and Real Time. They can't hit the same angles on the story of the day for fear of redundancy.
AGot this in the mail today.

[Image: 800]

Inside it contained this.

he's got a supple tushy