Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi-Official Ultra HD 4K Thread
so pink!

so ripe! so fully ripe!!
Why do Sony menus suck? Are they like Cheesecake Factory menus?
unlike most blurays and 4K discs, these new Sony discs don't have the pop-up bluray menu that layers over the movie as it plays

so if you want to take a look at the chapter list as you're watching the movie, too bad. it's like a DVD menu where you have to interrupt the movie and go back to the static menu system

on top of that, the menus are frustrating to navigate
I'm sorry that they put you through all of that.

I'm here if you need to talk.
I knew I could count on you!
Am I bonkers or does The Last Jedi suffer from some badly crushed blacks? (Particularly noticeable right after the Lucasfilm logo, and when Luke steps out of the shadows in Kylo Ren's History Lesson). I checked against the regular blu and it looked the same (albeit with worse contrast and detail than the DOLBY VISION), so I assume it's intentional to the transfer and not something wrong with my A/V chain, but it still seems like a weird way to go. Maybe a side effect of the film used?

Also does anybody have good recommended settings for DOLBY VISION on a 2016 LG OLED? I noticed right away that while regular HDR pumps the OLED Backlight setting up to full, DV leaves it at 50%, not sure if I should boost it.
I dunno, thought Fin held his own for a bit...oh nah the color levels are fine.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
there's some stuff with starfields that was splotchy
(03-31-2018, 04:21 AM)Fafhrd Wrote: Am I bonkers or does The Last Jedi suffer from some badly crushed blacks? (Particularly noticeable right after the Lucasfilm logo, and when Luke steps out of the shadows in Kylo Ren's History Lesson). I checked against the regular blu and it looked the same (albeit with worse contrast and detail than the DOLBY VISION), so I assume it's intentional to the transfer and not something wrong with my A/V chain, but it still seems like a weird way to go. Maybe a side effect of the film used?

Also does anybody have good recommended settings for DOLBY VISION on a 2016 LG OLED? I noticed right away that while regular HDR pumps the OLED Backlight setting up to full, DV leaves it at 50%, not sure if I should boost it.

I read that for Dolby Vision you should keep all of the settings at default save for TruMotion. (When I pump up the OLED Backlight, I can see some nasty macroblocking, such as the shot in TLJ where the kid watches the ship jump to lightspeed.)
(04-01-2018, 10:13 PM)Nooj Wrote: there's some stuff with starfields that was splotchy

So was some of the plot.
NONSENSE!!!

edit:

and right on the heels of april fools day...

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

ONNO!!!!
Yeah that really sucks. I’ve been singing their praises and crying like a baby over at blu-ray.com

Picked up Dunkirk, Inception and IT for $50 at Best Buy. I think they had a misprint on IT in their ad saying it is part of the deal, but online and store it is not. So went physically to the store (gasp), and they honored it.
how did you get all those for 50???
Ugh can’t login at work*, but it’s in their ad which you can get off their website. Just showed it to the manager, he lowered the price himself. I think also if you do an in store pick up on some titles, they surprise you with $3 off (might be for each title too).

*otherwise I’d provide a screenshot.
Read that Blade Runner 2049 and Dunkirk are $20 at Amazon/Best Buy.
IT is, as well.
Dunkirk 4K is awesome.
Inception 4K is alright. I wouldn't upgrade over the blu-ray unless you get a decent deal on it due to the transfer while good, isn't peppery and it doesn't pop. (crown)
I am pretty disappointed with the Thor 4k release. A lot of scenes (particularly heavy CGI/reality mixed) look soft. While a few of them have that familiar punch ... the Valkyries, some of the Hela battle scenes, I would put it way down the list of showcases. Among recent releases, Blade Runner 2049 and Logan simply blows it out of the water.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
So uhh....you guys know that Die Hard is hitting 4k Tuesday right?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Yep.

With more catalog stuff hitting, I'm close to snagging an LG OLED 65 inch set. Ideally by month's end.
Yeah every time I think of grabbing an OLED I keep hearing about the new hdmi stuff down the pike. Also I have a pretty decent 65 already.

Oh Black Panther 4K is great. Feels slightly less than Thor Ragnorok in terms of punch but sound is great.
(05-12-2018, 04:04 PM)mondguy Wrote: Yep.

With more catalog stuff hitting, I'm close to snagging an LG OLED 65 inch set.  Ideally by month's end.

well, I've mentioned it before. Give Massdrop a look they are having weekly sales on LG OLED's and they are between $500-$1000 (I'm being conservative) cheaper on there. It's a weird way of purchasing but it's cheaper.
"I'll live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man.

PSN and Steam gamer tag: rockbollocks

Blizzard ID: Rockbollocks#11635

With more catalog stuff hitting, I'm close to snagging an LG OLED 65 inch set.  Ideally by month's end.

Overlord harangued me into buying one over a year ago.  The SOB was right, its great.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(05-12-2018, 01:52 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: So uhh....you guys know that Die Hard is hitting 4k Tuesday right?

Oh.  My.  God.  

Tell me that the unrated Die Hard 4 is on there!

A new television is always a wise decision.  

(05-16-2018, 07:16 AM)SAIRUS Wrote: Yeah every time I think of grabbing an OLED I keep hearing about the new hdmi stuff down the pike. Also I have a pretty decent 65 already.

Oh Black Panther 4K is great. Feels slightly less than Thor Ragnorok in terms of punch but sound is great.

What new HDMI stuff?  I am unaware of any major changes that aren't 5+ years away.  The only thing that was in flux was a new HDMI standard for 4k 3D, and that appears to have been abandoned by the industry.  

(05-16-2018, 02:41 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Overlord harangued me into buying one over a year ago.  The SOB was right, its great.

Thanks!
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-what-...d-to-know/
Thanks to Jonathan up thread for suggesting Massdrop. There's a deal on a 65" B7A that I'm going forward on.

Also picked up The Matrix uhd this week, and the new Atmos track is fantastic. The placement of every sound is so sharp.