Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi-Official Ultra HD 4K Thread
(10-30-2018, 08:36 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Matrix Trilogy hit today.

I wound up watching the second half of 'Revolutions'.  The 4K upgrades for both are really worth it.  

Shame about 2001 getting bumped another three weeks.
(10-31-2018, 07:36 AM)martianman Wrote:
(10-06-2018, 01:47 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Original Evil Dead and Original Halloween are in 4K now......

Is there another movie besides Evil Dead that's ever been released in so many different ways?

Army of Darkness.

(10-30-2018, 10:08 PM)Nooj Wrote: I'm gonna wait for that one to come down in price.

Trying to hold off on 4k purchases as a discipline!

True but....if you sell your old blu-ray set and the new digital copy it almost completely pays for itself.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
4k new guy here. What is the best source for streaming 4k? Amazon's selection doesn't seem terribly robust. Am I going to have to resign myself to physical media to really take advantage of the tech?

Richard Dickson:  No, it's just that people don't understand the history and struggle of the English language, or else they'd use it properly. They're anti-semantic.
That's what I've been doing..
Yep, physical media for me as well.
Damn. That's what I was afraid of. Wasn't really looking forward to adding another component to an already crowded shelf. The wife won't like losing cookbook shelf space for a 4k disc player.

YOUR BAD NEWS MIGHT RUIN MY MARRIAGE.

Richard Dickson:  No, it's just that people don't understand the history and struggle of the English language, or else they'd use it properly. They're anti-semantic.
To be fair, I'm still a physical media guy. I'm getting more and more into streaming stuff that I know will be a 'one and done', but I tend to buy physical discs of things that I'll want to watch more than once. If I own a physical copy, I'll never need to worry about it not being available to me when I want to see it.
(10-31-2018, 10:17 AM)Judas Booth Wrote:  If I own a physical copy, I'll never need to worry about it not being available to me when I want to see it.

I'm totally on board with that line of thinking.  I still buy digital copies like a dope, though.  Switching discs is for active people.

I've gotten more into the digital copies as well. It's nice having those loaded on my iPad for viewing whenever I want, especially when I'm flying somewhere and need to watch something to pass the time.
(10-31-2018, 09:24 AM)sean blackwell Wrote: 4k new guy here. What is the best source for streaming 4k?  Amazon's selection doesn't seem terribly robust.  Am I going to have to resign myself to physical media to really take advantage of the tech?

streaming for 4K has been a bit complicated

even services that DO have 4K content doesn't necessarily mean that a particular app for a particular device will always support it

FOR INSTANCE... I have a bunch of 4K UHD/HDR movies on my VUDU account.  But as far as I'm aware, the PS4/PS4 Pro's VUDU app still doesn't support it.  My LG TV's VUDU app does though.

And that's the tricky thing about all these varying services.  If there's a particular service you like that does support 4K, you're going to have to make sure that your device will actually have the app that supports it as well.

Netflix is good for 4K content when it comes to its own programming (various series and movies), but you also have to pay more to get access to 4K content.

I believe the AppleTV might be the device that supports the most 4K content with its apps? But I don't have an AppleTV and can't vouch for that.
Physical media will always be superior..
(10-31-2018, 11:56 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Physical media will always be superior..

Yup.

Very few areas (in the U.S.) have consumer connections available that support the bandwidth necessary to even carry a true 4k signal, let alone a 4k signal with HDR meta-data.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
(11-01-2018, 04:26 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 11:56 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Physical media will always be superior..

Yup.

Very few areas (in the U.S.) have consumer connections available that support the bandwidth necessary to even carry a true 4k signal, let alone a 4k signal with HDR meta-data.

So a 4k blu ray player is in my future, I guess.  Time to start researching...

Good man..
the good news is that 4K blu ray players are getting cheaper and cheaper. Bet you can get yourself a nice one this holiday season without going overboard.
Harry Potter 1 and 2 have longer cuts included in the 4K? I didn't even know longer cuts existed for those films. Are they better/worthwhile? Do you get a choice of either cut on the both the 4K and the included blu-ray?
The extended cuts are only on the Blu-rays. They're not any better, just longer - take the deleted scenes from the first DVDs and re-insert them into the films, and there you go.
Eh....hopefully the theatrical cut is on those blus too. I hate not having the choice..
In terms of 4K content with Atmos...Apple is killing it.

Physical media still is better, but I do catch myself watching the 4K versions of some movies on the Apple TV, because they also upgraded all my purchases to 4K (if the studio released a 4K version of the film).

So physical media with digital copies are the best.

Oh and The Incredibles 2...looks it too. First animation disc I’ve really seen benefiting from 4K and HDR.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?