Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi-Official Ultra HD 4K Thread
(09-05-2019, 01:43 PM)SAIRUS Wrote: Looking forward to grabbing the live action Aladdin...(crickets).

Eh.  I really liked it!  Considering it myself.  It's certainly a beautiful looking movie.

I didn’t find it particularly beautiful

just a conventional looking slick modern CG Hollywood movie

should make for a solid 4K disc
(09-05-2019, 08:51 PM)Nooj Wrote: I didn’t find it particularly beautiful

just a conventional looking slick modern CG Hollywood movie

Woof!

Looks like the Daniel Craig Bond films have been announced by Amazon France for October 23rd:

https://www.amazon.fr/James-Bond-007-Qua...087&sr=8-1

I'm sure we'll get announcements for a similar date in the US and the UK soon.
So.....the new Rambo (2008) looks worse than the BD. Nice job on scanning the filmout Lionsgate.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I'm looking at the caps-aholic comparisons and I don't know if I'd say it looks 'worse'

but the image really toned down the highlights without adding anything in the way of much detail/clarity (question: what do these screencap sites do in terms of capturing images with the HDR applied?)

seems pointless to upgrade!

I also looked at the comparisons for Shaun and Hot Fuzz, and it feels similarly underwhelming. Again, most of the added detail seem to come from toning down the highlights
Well apparently Lionsgate has a history of using filmouts which will lose a generation of detail. I mean it is softer, do doubt about it. HDR isn't going to bring that back.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
the comparisons don’t look all that softer to me. They just look about the same with a different color grade

I was just wondering how these sites don’t get screen caps that look like dim non-HDR images from the 4K transfers

was Rambo finished on a 2K DI?

edit: yup, it was
Yes it was from a 2K DI like most 4K discs but word is they used a filmout instead. Might have done the same with Hot Fuzz im learning.
looks like it!

how is a filmout different from using a 2K DI?

edit: never mind! I looked it up!
Synapse is releasing their 4k restoration of Suspiria '77 on UHD on 11/19 with HDR (and new color timing for that HDR). 

[Image: SUSPIRIA_4K_UHD.jpg]
I have heard that the Little Mermaid UHD is significantly worse than the Blu-Ray (too dark, fine details lost due to black crush caused by poor HDR implementation) and that the Aladdin UHD is not an upgrade (at best a wash).

Anyone who has seen these able to weigh in? If this is true it's a rather poor start to Disney's updating of the back catalogue of animated classics.

I watched a little of the Iron Man 4K and was glad I didn't buy any of the other recent MCU releases. There's a strange issue where grain seems to briefly show around individual objects, but not the rest of the frame. The detail level is barely ahead of the 2008 Blu Ray, and everything now looks like it was shot digitally.

Disney 4K releases have been on a down slide for some time now. I hope this doesn't translate to any Fox material they may release.
Disney has been pretty much terrible in the audio department...till Aladdin (live action) 4K*, which they were acceptable. Otherwise you have to really dial up the volume to compensate.

The upscaling on my 4K Sony is near pristine and filmic for 1080p (it’s better than the LG OLED) so Disney looks great via the iTunes copies (which btw I want my 4K upgrades Apple/Disney).

*fuck you ahead of time for judging me...wait a minute.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
(09-14-2019, 08:09 AM)mondguy Wrote: I watched a little of the Iron Man 4K and was glad I didn't buy any of the other recent MCU releases.  There's a strange issue where grain seems to briefly show around individual objects, but not the rest of the frame.  The detail level is barely ahead of the 2008 Blu Ray, and everything now looks like it was shot digitally.

Disney 4K releases have been on a down slide for some time now.  I hope this doesn't translate to any Fox material they may release.

I have yet to see an MCU 4k release I've been impressed with on a technical level.  If I had to guess, I'm thinking that these films didn't have better than a 2k original master -- to save on FX costs -- so we're not seeing (and will never see) "true 4k" from a home release. 

Probably Infinity War has seen the best transfer, IMHO.

Guardians 2 wasn't too bad.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?