Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Space / NASA thread

Any actual scuttlebutt about possible sabotage of the SpaceX rocket?  I'm just assuming it's internet noise.

A[quote name="MrBananaGrabber" url="/community/t/154426/the-space-nasa-thread/60#post_4150410"]Any actual scuttlebutt about possible sabotage of the SpaceX rocket?  I'm just assuming it's internet noise.
[/quote]

SpaceX added to the rumors by asking to inspect a ULA building about a mile away, and their characteristic inability to comprehend how something could have gone wrong with their perfect architecture doesn't help either, but nothing concrete suggests foul play.

That's good to know!

Huge thank-you for keep us updated on your adventures!

Also, holy cow! You're in Russia right now, keep astronauts alive!  That's incredible!

Do you get to go to Baikonur?

AGood luck in Russia Anal rogue. In other news, it's not looking good for the ESA Mars probe. There's still a chance that orbiting satellites will pick up their signal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wonder what Trump has for a space policy?

AI bet he has no fucking clue. Mars will probably be cancelled. Although to be honest I don't think that will happen for 50 years anyway.
A[quote name="Bluelouboyle" url="/community/t/154426/the-space-nasa-thread/60#post_4170377"]I bet he has no fucking clue. Mars will probably be cancelled. Although to be honest I don't think that will happen for 50 years anyway.[/quote]

I think he'll keep things close to how they are now, which means moving backwards - we should be funding and building the cis-lunar proving ground vehicle that will effectively replace the ISS in the late 2020s now. Yesterday. I don't think he'll cut us back much more, but I absolutely doubt we'll see a penny increase attached to any tangible plans.

Oh, and since we're already on track for the commercial crew program, he will ABSOLUTELY take credit for "making America's space program great again" when we start launching out of Kennedy again. Which was 100% Obama's program.

I hope someone shows Trump Moonraker and that becomes the basis for a new Space Program.

A[quote name="Cylon Baby" url="/community/t/154426/the-space-nasa-thread/60#post_4170557"]I hope someone shows Trump Moonraker and that becomes the basis for a new Space Program.
[/quote]

As one of the critics of the Mars plan, it will be the irony of my life if a Trump Presidency gets us a permanent moon base(hotel).
A[quote name="Bluelouboyle" url="/community/t/154426/the-space-nasa-thread/60#post_4154863"]Good luck in Russia Anal rogue. In other news, it's not looking good for the ESA Mars probe. There's still a chance that orbiting satellites will pick up their signal, but I'm not holding my breath.[/quote]

Seriously? Three weeks and no one commented on this?
A[quote name="Jmurdoch" url="/community/t/154426/the-space-nasa-thread/60#post_4170566"]
Seriously? Three weeks and no one commented on this?[/quote]

HA! Thanks for that. Especially today.
AI think my typos are literally a disease.

I want an EM drive personal spaceship as soon as possible.

A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/154426/the-space-nasa-thread/60#post_4171723"]I want an EM drive personal spaceship as soon as possible.
[/quote]

Overlord Palpatine is correct. How else am I going to Space Seed myself and my followers after Emperor Trump III nukes the Vulcan landing craft in April of 2054?

Of course Trump is going to slash the science budget, but imagine the investments in breast augmentation and sex-robot technology!

AWhy would Trump need sex robots when he has a ready supply of mail-order brides from his good buddy Putin?
A[Image: 400]
[Image: 400]
[Image: 400]

Silver lining: maybe with the Manchurian President Putin will give us a discount? We're currently paying $90 million per launch. SpaceX and Boeing will charge us $58 million once they're up in a few years, but till then this is still the only ride in town.

Chilly here today with 2 days to go till launch. It'll be streaming on NASA TV at 14:20 on Thursday Houston time for any chewers who want to watch humans do something productive for a change of pace from the news lately.
ALove the updates, keep me up!
ADamn autocorrect. Sorry, I meant keep them up! Smile
AJust under 14 hours till launch here...

[Image: 600]

Can I come with? I pack light.

A[quote name="Analog Olmos" url="/community/t/154426/the-space-nasa-thread/50#post_4174360"]Just under 14 hours till launch here...

[Image: 600][/quote]

Now just under 10.
AL-08:20! Crew walkout in 2 hours before suiting up
AMe and my Russian doc counterpart getting ready to depart to the launch abort recovery site.

[Image: 600]
AGood breakdown of what these guys will be doing in 2hrs and 20 minutes:

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVvgpKt5uCA[/VIDEO]
ASoyuz launch can be watched live here: https://youtu.be/UdmHHpAsMVw

Coverage is live right now. Liftoff in about 40 min. Or, as we say in the biz, we are at L-0:40.
AGood launch. Looks so dang cramped in there though. Going to need some massages when they get to the station.
A[quote name="Bucho" url="/community/t/154426/the-space-nasa-thread/90#post_4174646"]Good launch. Looks so dang cramped in there though. Going to need some massages when they get to the station.[/quote]

Couldn't have been more perfect. The microgravity takes the edge off the cramped quarters somewhat, plus once they doff the suits they can fit 2 of them up in the upper module to sleep. Oleg will get 2 suits to keep him company down in the CA descent module methinks. First leg home for me is in 3 hours so going to crash, glad you watched Bucho! I'll post updates to this thread throughout Peg's mission.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/nasa-publishe...09112.html

And that, right there, if true, is a serious game-changer.  Maybe not for our lifetimes, but interstellar travel just became a realistic possibility.

AIf I know anything about mysterious technologies that shouldn't work but somehow do anyway, we better prepare for some Event Horizon shit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

If I know anything about mysterious technologies that shouldn't work but somehow do anyway, we better prepare for some Event Horizon shit.

The really interesting thing is we know absolutely nothing about this, it's probably the most crude design possible, and yet it still would make sense for any voyage past Mars.  Imagine if we actually knew how the thing worked and could actually make design improvements!

A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/154426/the-space-nasa-thread/90#post_4177304"]
The really interesting thing is we know absolutely nothing about this, it's probably the most crude design possible, and yet it still would make sense for any voyage past Mars.  Imagine if we actually knew how the thing worked and could actually make design improvements!
[/quote]

This guy is in Building 15. I'm dying to walk over and take a look. I read their paper today and my takeaway was

A) there does appear to be a reproducible unidirectional effect, though the force's scalability with power input is questionable past 60 watts.

B) their theory on WHY it works in the Discussion is absolute bunk.

Next thing I hope they plan to do is provide the test article with a wider range of input voltage and see what the scalability curve really is. Put 1000W and 10000W through it and let's see if it's still a chore to tease out the thrust from the heat signal. 40/60/80W is a really narrow range for test comparisons.

Is the 60W thrust enough to do anything practical with? If nothing else, could we use this for probes and satellites?

ASo Trump has scrapped NASA's climate change research division, because it's 'politicised science'. So fucking ignorant.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...e-research