Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JESSICA JONES (Netflix)

Well, this is getting some pretty good reviews - at least based on the first episode - so we may as well get a separate thread for it up and running, right?

Collider – Evan Valentine

Jessica Jones marks another amazing notch in the belt of Marvel’s Netflix deal, exploring a world that few comic book movies and television shows have dared to enter. Without a doubt, this premier episode will reel you in hook, line, and sinker, leaving you gasping from the surprises it has in store. This fall, Jessica Jones may be the show to beat!”

IGN – Eric Goldman

Jessica Jones starts out with a strong premiere episode that firmly marks the series as the most mature Marvel Cinematic Universe project to date. Yes, Daredevil took the MCU into much darker, more violent places, but Jessica Jones not only matches that, it goes further.”

Mashable – Brian De Los Santos

“A pilot can only say so much about a show, but if Marvel can maintain the momentum it builds in the first episode of Jessica Jones throughout its entire first season, it may have its hands on another hit. With great wit and characters, this series could draw a big fanbase. Those in attendance Saturday certainly loved it, and left the screening saying as much.”

Vulture – Abraham Riesman

“The entire episode was shockingly and refreshingly honest in its depiction of sex and sexuality — especially compared to the rest of Marvel’s cinematic and televised output, which tends to be heterosexual and vanilla on the rare occasions when it dares to be sexual at all.”

io9 – Katharine Trendacosta

“Along with being visible, the show’s also got a great handle on the language of noir. We always hear about how the Marvel movies are each a different genre, but they’ve ceded film noir to Jessica Jones. From the first voice over, you know exactly what you’re about to get: a client, a case, and a bad end.”

The full season drops on the 20th of November 2015.

As a person who knows absolutely nothing about the MCU, I think I enjoy these properties more than some just from the discovery angle. I have no idea who Jessica Jones is, but I'm already looking forward to this.

Those are some great reviews. I like the MCU, but she is in that shady corner of comics that I never read. I was mostly an Xmen reader. I am really looking forward to this.

AI read the first trade or two of Alias and thought Brian Michael Bendis did great work, so maybe, just maybe, I'll put aside some time for this.
A[quote name="Jacob Singer" url="/community/t/154610/jessica-jones-netflix#post_3955297"]As a person who knows absolutely nothing about the MCU, I think I enjoy these properties more than some just from the discovery angle. I have no idea who Jessica Jones is, but I'm already looking forward to this.
[/quote]

She's actually a pretty cool character, or was the last time I read comics. Relatively new, created in the last 15-20 years, but more interesting to read than pretty much any other character in the MCU.

I'm less familiar with the actress they got for her, but I assume Woodward and Anya are up on that end of it.

There was a pretty cool Secret War mini with her that really scratched my hard-boiled detective itch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

She's actually a pretty cool character, or was the last time I read comics. Relatively new, created in the last 15-20 years, but more interesting to read than pretty much any other character in the MCU.

I'm less familiar with the actress they got for her, but I assume Woodward and Anya are up on that end of it.

Go watch Don't Trust the B-- In Apartment 23. Despite the horrible name, which initially turned me off from the show, is a fairly hilarious Black Comedy-at least for the first couple of episodes, before ti became obvious that the Show and Krysten Ritter were softened to appeal to a wider audience. Considering the show still got cancelled: Too little too late I guess--in which Ritter is pretty damn fantastic. Also the show's worth watching just for James Van Der Beek, who plays a pretty absurd version of himself.

Yeah, Ritter's absolutely hilarious on Don't Trust the B.  She basically plays a live-action version of the kind of cartoon trickster Bugs Bunny, for example, is, except more openly dickish.  Great comic chemistry with Dreama Walker, who would be a pitch-perfect Squirrel Girl if Marvel ever went there.  Ritter also has a heartbreaking arc on S2 of Breaking Bad - she's the recovering addict Jesse falls for.

Alias (the comic) only runs 28 issues and it's really terrific.  Worth a read, not really tied extensively to Marvel continuity aside from appearances by other Marvel characters.  Jessica is a wonderful noir protagonist, and they turn a character as seemingly silly as the Purple Man into one of the most horrifying villains in Marvel.

Speaking of: when we finally meet the Purple Man in Alias, he actually starts breaking the fourth wall down to describing the types of frames the artist is currently using (and compliments the art's "indie" look).  I wonder if they'll go that far on the show - after all, Frank breaks the fourth wall regularly on House of Cards, or if that's a step too far for Marvel as of right now.

AIsn't there a scene in the last Avengers movie that breaks the fourth wall? Something about Hawkeye commenting on how silly everything is or whatever? I recall reading that somewhere.
AJust rewatched AoU, definitely no 4th wall breaking. Was probably just Renner commenting on the status of his professional life in an interview or something.

He was talking about Hansel & Gretel: Witch hunters.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Isn't there a scene in the last Avengers movie that breaks the fourth wall? Something about Hawkeye commenting on how silly everything is or whatever? I recall reading that somewhere.

I don't know about fourth wall breaking, but it's one of my favorite moments in the movie for sure.

Trailer is up.

Looks great. Love the police station scene.

Looks really great!!

Is Marvel Netflix where they plan on hiding all of the excellent villains?

Well, Daredevil and Jessica Jones do have an advantage in that regard - none of Luke Cage's baddies have really stuck around and it doesn't sound like they're giving him a marquee villain for the series (like, say, the Hood - shitty character, but he's a bigger name in comics than any of Cage's villains).  I suppose Iron Fist will feature The Hand, unless they save that for Defenders.  Whereas Kingpin and Purple Man, if used right, are two of the best/scariest villains in Marvel.

In terms of the films, Ultron and Red Skull are probably the ones they really could have done more with.  Malekith is kind of eh, and Ronan (at least recently) is more of an antihero than a baddie.  Maybe they should've straight-up had Nebula as the villain in GOTG.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

Well, Daredevil and Jessica Jones do have an advantage in that regard - none of Luke Cage's baddies have really stuck around and it doesn't sound like they're giving him a marquee villain for the series (like, say, the Hood - shitty character, but he's a bigger name in comics than any of Cage's villains).  I suppose Iron Fist will feature The Hand, unless they save that for Defenders.  Whereas Kingpin and Purple Man, if used right, are two of the best/scariest villains in Marvel.

In terms of the films, Ultron and Red Skull are probably the ones they really could have done more with.  Malekith is kind of eh, and Ronan (at least recently) is more of an antihero than a baddie.  Maybe they should've straight-up had Nebula as the villain in GOTG.

I've always said Ronan was just fine as a Gozer type villain.  The heroes are what mattered.

A lot of people seem a bit worried that they're blowing their load too early (so to speak) by using The Purple Man in the first season. It seems a fair point because, though I've not read the comic, I'm pretty sure he's the main antagonist for Jessica in the comics (even though he doesn't show up until the end of the comic's run)?

Yeah, the Purple Man is the final arc of Alias (in fact, IIRC he only shows up in person in the final two issues).  He's pretty much the only supervillain in the series - Jessica's cases otherwise tend to be about people dealing with superpowers and prejudice towards people with superpowers.  Aside from Luke, Matt Murdock, JJJ, Carol Danvers, and Ben Urich (RIP Ben) play recurring roles, and one arc features Jessica Drew, and a couple of other Spidey characters.  Cap also cameos in an early arc.  Jean Grey plays an important role in the last arc (including giving Jessica the juice to beat the Purple Man), so it'll be interesting to see how they get around that.

That's some genuinely chilling shit in that trailer.  The police station, the group of people hanging themselves, and I don't think I've been as creeped out about anything in a film in a damn long time as that "You want to invite me in" moment.  Just the way it plays out is unsettling as fuck.

ADoes Cage have powers in this?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Does Cage have powers in this?

Yes.

AAnd a silver tiara...? Please, please, please.

FYI, the collected issues of the original Marvel Max run are being reprinted, the first set (issues 1-9) are out now.  Don't know why, but the second volume starts with issue 11.  For some reason 10 is in the third volume.

(SPOILERS) Synopsis for Season 1 Eps are up

Looking over those episode synopses...

Sounds like they're hinting at Daredevil showing up at the end of the season, which makes sense since Matt was a big part of the original Alias comic and Purple Man first appeared in ol' Hornhead's series.  Still, how crazy would it be if they'd kept Iron Fist's casting secret and he shows up out of nowhere to help put the hurt on Kilgrave?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

And a silver tiara...? Please, please, please.

Forget the tiara, I just want to know if his catchphrase is still "Sweet Christmas!"

Colter has stated in an interview that he does say that phrase in the series.

Official Trailer 2

It looks...sassy! The overall look is excellent. That said, forgive me for feeling the lead actress doesn't seem as haunted as she might, and Tennant might be a bit broad. But apart from the protagonist and the antagonist, it looks terrific!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDastardly View Post

apart from the protagonist and the antagonist, it looks terrific!

A[Image: 400]

Her character looks so very monotone.  Very one note.  The alcoholic thing is VERY prominent too...  Everything looks great.  But not sure about Jessica herself.  Matt Murdock is infinitely charming and likable.  She's possibly going to be...  Not.

Ahttp://screencrush.com/netflix-jessica-jones-jewel-costume/

Had a plot thought on this: are they going to tie the return of the Purple Man in to the fall of SHIELD? On AoS a lot of powered baddies got set loose by Hydra when everything went down. Seems like a good small detail they could throw in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Her character looks so very monotone.  Very one note.  The alcoholic thing is VERY prominent too...  Everything looks great.  But not sure about Jessica herself.  Matt Murdock is infinitely charming and likable.  She's possibly going to be...  Not.

What I'm taking from her appearances so far in the trailers is that she's the typical hard boiled gumshoe detective.  Hard drinking, cynical and unafraid to throw down when needed.  The only difference being she's a woman in the 21st Century and has superpowers.

I'll also wager a large part of the show  is how she grows from that to a more healthy and complete person.

Oh, and the reviews are coming out now and are VERY positive.

Deadline:  http://deadline.com/2015/11/jessica-jone...201620530/

Forbes:  http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/...w-netflix/

THR:  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/...iew-837896