Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Democratic Debate Nov 14 2015 AKA the Paris Terrorism Event Debate

Disagree. He faced down Stringer Bell...what more do you need?

A[Image: boring_dem_debate.jpg]

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 3m3 minutes ago "When Marlo killed Prop Joe and raised the price on the brick." -- O'Malley #GreatestCrisis #DemDebate

Christ now all three of them are plugging their fucking websites.

Love Bernie's "turn off the TeeVee" comment. I think he just killed his campaign. O'Malley saved his.

"A wasteland of haunted glass and seared flesh awaits us. Death has died. Visit my website." -- Sanders #ClosingStatements #DemDebate

Patton Oswalt@pattonoswalt 2m2 minutes ago

*emits haunting banshee moan, levitates* -- Clinton #ClosingStatements #DemDebate

Patton Oswalt@pattonoswalt 4m4 minutes ago

"I just caught myself in the monitor and I am ridiculously handsome. Wow." -- O'Malley #ClosingStatements #DemDebate

Yeah O'Malley's had Work done. Not on his Bald spot though haha.

I feel like O'Malley is another cycle away from being a really serious candidate. Governor experience is relevant, but some additional federal service would do him a lot of good. I'm making fun of him, but he seems fairly smart and lines up pretty well with what I want as far as positions.

I noted in another thread  that most Presidents since 1972 have been only had a Governorship as main experience before becoming President (the ONE major exception being George HW Bush who served one term). So O'Malley would be right in line with Presidents GWB, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, and Jimmy Carter.

He's clearly third in this field, but he's miles ahead of anybody on the other side.

didn't catch this, were O'Malley's biceps as erotic to the internets as they were last time?

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/215181/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Why did no one tell about this? How is it that it escaped my attention? O'Malley should get all the delegates. This body needs to be on the internets and on my teevee screen for a minimum of four years.

We'll have to do something about that hair though. No baldies. Comb-overs are just baldies playing hide and seek.
AI coworker of mine has very pronounced male pattern baldness, the type with that one squig of hair at the top of the forehead; he grows that out, long and voluminous, and parts it down the middle across the crown of his head. It is majestic. It's like an auxiliary pair of Blood Elf eyebrows as drawn by Seuss, sheltering his human eyebrows down below. I call him The Lorax.

The candidate who does this with their hair will have my vote, policies be damned.
AI had to tap out early, but it looks like Sanders threw a couple of body blows to Clinton last night, especially over Iraq and Wall Street, as expected.

She should be more prepared to deal with that by now. I don't how she can go on for nearly 15 years now without having crafted a better story.

He did that, and they were justified, but she pivoted smoothly and nailed him on his weakness WRT gun control.

Her running to 9/11 in response to the Wall Street issue didn't do her any favors though.

Agreed.

Whooo boy...it was at least better than what some Republicans have said on the issue, but the foreign policy section of the debate bordered on incoherence.

http://www.vox.com/2015/11/15/9737412/de...ry-clinton

Quote:

One of the biggest challenges of preparing for a nationally televised political debate is the uncertainty. You cannot know what questions you will be asked, and so you must prepare for dozens of possible questions on a range of topics, and keep it all together in your head and ready to access at a moment's notice.

The Democratic candidates did not have this problem when they walked onto the stage for the CBS presidential debate on Saturday. Shortly after terrorists launched a series of devastating attacks in Paris on Friday night, CBS announced that the entire debate — later whittled down to the first 30 minutes — would focus on the attacks and related policy issues.

Yet somehow, even though the candidates knew the subject ahead of time and could easily have anticipated many of the individual questions, all three of them undeniably flunked it. Even with 24 hours to prepare and full staffs to help them do it, at no point did anyone offer anything resembling an answer to the question that this was all about: what would they do about ISIS?

If you were an American — or a European or a Syrian or an Iraqi, for that matter — tuning in to learn how the next Democratic presidential nominee thinks about the challenge of ISIS, then you might well come away from this debate thinking the candidates aren't prepared even to stumble their way through a question about ISIS, much less take on the group itself. Maybe that conclusion would be wrong — maybe in fact some or even all of the candidates would be brilliant against ISIS — but you'd have little way of knowing it from this debate.

Well what would Vox do about ISIS?

Flood their email with thinkpieces.

Do you disagree with any of the article's points in particular?  Vox has written several other pieces on ISIS in the past, some from the same author.  They're generally a liberal website, but I think their observations on how this debate went were spot-on.  While the moderator didn't do any of the three candidates favors with the foreign policy questions, some of the answers were all over the place.  Apparently, fighting ISIS requires "making ourselves a beacon at home" (?) and increasing "human intelligence" on the ground.  Sanders tried to pivot away several times.  Not a single concrete proposal was uttered, and that's genuinely baffling.  These answers aren't terrible, but the three candidates knew well in advance that the initial focus would be on foreign policy.

Clinton invoking 9/11 to justify her contributions from Wall Street and her rambling answer on Iraq won't sink her, but they provided attack ad fodder for the RNC.  It's the former in particular that I think she's going to regret saying in front of millions of Americans.

Again I ask, what were they supposed to say?

"Well I'd fly in at 0800 hours with an F16 flying out of the northwest at the following LatLong......"

" WELL I'LL TELL YA I'D GO OVER THERE WITH SOME MARINES AND FUCK THEIR SHIT UP!"

"Well I'd get together with all the EU nations, the UK, Russia, The Arab League, and then we'd just Dog Pile those bastards!"

There's already an international Intel and Military initiative to wipe ISIL off the face of the Earth. And it's working: that's why they made these attacks: to reclaim street cred.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Again I ask, what were they supposed to say?

"Well I'd fly in at 0800 hours with an F16 flying out of the northwest at the following LatLong......"

" WELL I'LL TELL YA I'D GO OVER THERE WITH SOME MARINES AND FUCK THEIR SHIT UP!"

"Well I'd get together with all the EU nations, the UK, Russia, The Arab League, and then we'd just Dog Pile those bastards!"

There's already an international Intel and Military initiative to wipe ISIL off the face of the Earth. And it's working: that's why they made these attacks: to reclaim street cred.

Exactly. How do you solve the ISIS problem for good? You kill the shit out of all of them (without slaughtering innocent civilians) which is unlikely. Or you withdraw from the Middle East entirely which is also unlikely sadly. There is no simple answer. The least sexy option is the one being done right now but it takes time to work.