Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Expanse - Syfy
AI found the two hour final to be better than expected. I thought we'd be given two hours of space zombies (I haven't read the books) chasing our crew through Eros. I'm pleased that that is not what we got.

I love love love that the original opening credit sequence played out again.
AI also laughed for five minutes when Amos said, "You guys look like shit."
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcjsavannah View Post

This first season was great. I love Amos. He's so uncomplicated without feeling one dimensional.

I do wonder if they're gonna keep to the current pace. 10 seasons to get through five books seems quite ambitious. And I'm not sure if the rest of book one can support 10 more episodes unless they leap frog ahead somehow. Still, I've enjoyed it all so far.

I suspect that they're going to cover the rest of Leviathan Wakes and all of Caliban's War in Season 2 (which has a 13 episode order).

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodofWar View Post

I also laughed for five minutes when Amos said, "You guys look like shit."

The part about the medical bay trying to go into hospice mode was great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

I suspect that they're going to cover the rest of Leviathan Wakes and all of Caliban's War in Season 2 (which has a 13 episode order).

That makes sense, especially since they brought Chrisjen from book 2 into the first season. They can get a lot done in 13 episodes when they don't have to do a lot of character setup - only Draper and the scientist dude.

Catching up on this one after finishing up LEVIATHAN WAKES a couple weeks ago.  I got the books for Christmas, and I'm about a quarter of the way through CW at the moment.  The books are really hitting the sweet spot for me so far, and are helping to scratch that Game of Thrones itch, as WINDS OF WINTER gets pushed back again and again.

I'm 7 episodes in; right out of the gate, it feels pretty strong.  The universe from the book translates surprisingly well, and I think SyFy is throwing the right amount of money at this thing.  It definitely grinds to a halt after the Donnager stuff (ep 4) though, and it still hasn't quite recovered.  I like the crew of the Rocinante more in the books; its frustrating that 7 episodes in, the main characters still kinda hate each other.  Jane is nailing it though, and even though there's been lots of padding on Ceres, I've been digging how willing the show is to luxuriate in the world building they've got going on there.

Going through the thread, it sounds like season 1 does not cover all of book 1.  I'm really interested to see where they leave things.  And how weird they are willing to get.

The season should've either been shorter or they should've fit the whole first book in. Getting Jane off of Ceres and involved in the main story took far too long. The show really took off once he did though.

I guess I'm the only one who didn't like the involvement of Chrisjen in the first season. I get why they did it, it just seems like the show grinds to a halt whenever her scenes come up. I'm also not a fan of the actress they got to play her, she seems like she's perpetually sucking on a lemon.

Three episodes in and I'm liking it, not loving it.

- The sound mix feels off.  The dialog is too low in the mix AND a lot of the actors (Jane, especially) mumble some of their lines AND a lot of the affected accents don't come through in an understandable manner.  I'm tired of rewinding to try and pick up dialog that I couldn't understand on the first pass.

- Some of the production values feel a tad on the cheap side.  Many of the sets look like sets.

- They don't have a good handle on how to do the multiple plotlines yet.  I don't need things to be over-explained to me, but they still need to do a better job of establishing some of the character dynamics in such a way that I get the whole Earth/Mars/Belt situation better.  It's possible that they have and I simply haven't caught all of the dialog correctly (see my first point).

Those criticisms aside, I like the actors and I like the dynamics between the characters for the most part.  I see them gelling better as the season progresses.  I also like how the series is going for a realistic feel in terms of how physics work in space.  It all feels believable and, as such, it's easy to immerse yourself into the world that has been created.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

I don't need things to be over-explained to me, but they still need to do a better job of establishing some of the character dynamics in such a way that I get the whole Earth/Mars/Belt situation better.

I'm not sure I would have a handle on what's going on with this stuff if I hadn't read the book first.

Mainlined the entire season over four days (the majority of which was watched over Saturday and Sunday) and absolutely loved it. This show works incredibly well as a binge-watch, even more than some of the stuff Netflix puts out with that very intention.

- I never read / won't be reading the books, and I'm pretty confused by the limited info the show has presented.

- I'm half expecting the Indian actress that I remember from '24' to shout 'Bayrooooze!".

- They make good use of various picturesque real locations to film at. I love the city-scapes, real and matte painted.

-I really like Tom Jane's hair in this. Very reminiscent of UK's Brett Ewins' comic book character Johnny Nemo

AHaving just finished devouring the books a couple days ago and rewatchibng a few episodes I must say this is a master class on adapting a book series. Knowing how to present an idea across a different medium visually is a tough thing to do and the production has done an excellent job. Doesn't hurt that the novelists are in the writer's room too, but that they understand this fact and are flexible in adapting the material is just great.

I love Game of Thrones but I feel they've been hit or miss on the adapting process, as have other projects.
A[quote name="tcjsavannah" url="/community/t/154886/the-expanse-syfy/0_100#post_4015382"]That makes sense, especially since they brought Chrisjen from book 2 into the first season. They can get a lot done in 13 episodes when they don't have to do a lot of character setup - only Draper and the scientist dude.
[/quote]

Great article about diversity about the show, but the showrunner mentions they are indeed casting Bobbie Draper for season two. I wonder if they'll go headfirst into the second book or they'll bring her in like they did Avasarala for the first season.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/25/111034...verse-cast

Bump. Bobbie Draper's been cast:

http://observationdeck.kinja.com/the-exp...1771191713

6 foot Samoan amateur boxer. Pretty spot on.

Really looking forward to more of this. Enjoyed the first season immensely.

Same here. I haven't been sucked into a sci-fi show like this since BABYLON 5. Can't wait for the second season!

AThis is now streaming on Amazon Video. If you haven't seen it you should check it out before season two starts on February 1st.

Starting my rewatch today.

Adam Savage interviews the writers of the book about the show in this expanded (sorry) promo for season two. I'm pumped and a little surprised this show doesn't get more love on these boards.

https://youtu.be/p8vR2FB1PGM
olid; border-width:1px; overflow:visible">
Quote:

Originally Posted by RodofWar View Post

I'm pumped and a little surprised this show doesn't get more love on these boards.

I guess a lot of people heard that Syfy were doing another sci-fi show and, because Battlestar Galacta was so long ago, instantly assumed it was part of the other low budget garbage they've been releasing in recent years. It's a shame because, in my opinion, this is the closest in quality they've come to BG since that show.

I think people will catch on. Season one had some great moments but took a while to really get going. A solid season 2 will convert more people. Even BSG took several years for people to really take notice. I didn't start watching in real time until the final season.

I picked up the latest hardback in the series and am slowly working my way through it. I still think the series has a lot of "out there" moments that it'll be interesting how they translate to TV, but I hope they go for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcjsavannah View Post

I picked up the latest hardback in the series and am slowly working my way through it. I still think the series has a lot of "out there" moments that it'll be interesting how they translate to TV, but I hope they go for it.

The last episode reminded me of Shane Black at his most fucked up, so I think they will.

Like I've said elsewhere THE EXPANSE reminds me a lot of BABYLON 5 in that it's a true science fiction show that's not watered down in how it's portrays it's characters and world. I'll be diving into the books soon and I can't wait.

AJust finished the latest book, Babylon's Ashes, a couple days ago. Sure there are a couple of small stumbles along the way in this series, but this latest book (like the previous one) has been a thrill ride exploring not only exciting science fiction situations, but also intrigue built on character. Space Opera at its core.

Very happy with the books and the show, and I believe the next season will begin to streamline the story, merging the rest of book one and the entirety of book two, bringing forward plotlines and merging others. I'm really enjoying this as an adaptation particularly because the book's writers are an integral part of the show, willing to change parts of their books easily if they see it can be done better.

Very interested to see how far they go with the bigger SciFi moments of the books. I don't think they'll hold back in any way besides budgetary concerns.

Oh shit, is that out? Time to recharge my Nook.

ASyfy has improved recently. KILLJOYS is a blast. Haven't watched this but if it's anywhere near as good as that show then I'll definitely check it out.
AKILLJOYS is something I should check out. Looks like a fun show. There's just so much good TV out there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

Syfy has improved recently. KILLJOYS is a blast. Haven't watched this but if it's anywhere near as good as that show then I'll definitely check it out.

The FX in this show is quite impressive. You can tell Syfy (ugh) invested serious bank in this series.

Syfy didn't invest anything into Killjoys, it's an entirely Canadian production from the Space Channel. Syfy just has US distribution rights.

Also Killjoys is kind of terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

Syfy didn't invest anything into Killjoys, it's an entirely Canadian production from the Space Channel. Syfy just has US distribution rights.

I meant THE EXPANSE in my original post and Killjoys is pure sci-fi fluff and enjoyable in it's own way.

A[quote name="Fafhrd" url="/community/t/154886/the-expanse-syfy/90#post_4195037"]Syfy didn't invest anything into Killjoys, it's an entirely Canadian production from the Space Channel. Syfy just has US distribution rights.

[/quote]

What's wrong with KILLJOYS? weird mix of BSG and STRIKE BACK. It's a fun show.

It's 'fun' but it has the worst worldbuilding of any science fiction show I can think of (last season had Dutch claim in one episode that faster than light communication was impossible, and in the episode just before that happened one of the characters made a phone call to a planet in another system right in front of her), and its plagued with the worst kind of post-Whedon 'clever' banter over characterization writing. And the music is universally terrible.

Just bought the new Deus Ex game on the steam sale and was pleased to notice that Jenson is played by the guy playing Kenzo in the Expanse. Also, I was convinced that the wanker in your team at the start of the game was Simon Pegg, but it turns out it was Peter Seranifowicz doing an impression of his friend Simon Pegg!

AThe second season of this great show starts next month. Just started reading the books and I'm loving it so far.

Outstanding. I was mildly let down by Babylon's Ashes so I'm hyped to return to the beginning, so to speak, with season 2 here. Can't wait to see Bobbie Draper in action.

Ahttps://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/ExpanseSy...=typeahead

For those that are willing to watch this on Facebook Live, which always seems awkward as hell, the majority of the cast did a Q&A last night at Brooklyn's Drafthouse.

It was a fairly interesting Q&A, but after it was over a long clip from the premiere was shown from the assault on Thoth, showcasing a large portion of the space battle with the Rocinante. The effects look fucking great. I am very pumped for the premiere tomorrow night.