Chewer Cars

My car:

My wife's car:

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

My car:

My wife's car:

Looks great, and I would look into it, were it not for the fact they don't sell them in the UK!

I've also been looking at this: the Skoda Superb 280 - essentially a generation ago Audi A6 with lots of standard kit that has a 280hp tuned 2 litre engine which gets you to 60mph in under 6 seconds. Dull looking, but a real Q car, and buckets of room for the kids in the back.

...and the 5 and 3 series BMWs. I'd get another vRS but I am not sure I can handle another three years with a spoiler on the back!

AMe and the wife have 3 series... They are solid, nothing spectacular. Decent room for children though, we have a 6, 3, and 5 month old and they all fit fine. Hell the 5 month old acts as a wonderful barrier between them. The Skoda looks like a try hard Camry but the stats seem solid.

But let's be honest buy the Alfa, I mean 33% off? My kids would ride in the trunk for that deal. I bought my car without a test drive, only minor regret!
A[quote name="Munson" url="/community/t/155002/chewer-cars/50#post_4456689"]Me and the wife have 3 series... They are solid, nothing spectacular. Decent room for children though, we have a 6, 3, and 5 month old and they all fit fine. Hell the 5 month old acts as a wonderful barrier between them. The Skoda looks like a try hard Camry but the stats seem solid.

But let's be honest buy the Alfa, I mean 33% off? My kids would ride in the trunk for that deal. I bought my car without a test drive, only minor regret![/quote]

It's the little champions kicking the back seat and scuffing the leather that I'm nervous about. In the car seats their feet don't fall into the footwell.

I haven't seen a Camry but the Superb uses a lot of panels from the last A6. A lot of the mid size saloon cars look very similar these days.

Even though I only spoke to the guy an hour before the dealership closed it looks like the car might have been sold. If so, that'll learn me...

I love the idea that you had regret significant enough to note, but characterised it as minor. Haha...

I didn't know we had a car thread. Any Jeep chewers here? I love my 99 XJ, here she is on a recent trip to the dunes. When the snow melts in the mountains I want to hit some old wagon trails this spring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post

I didn't know we had a car thread. Any Jeep chewers here? I love my 99 XJ, here she is on a recent trip to the dunes. When the snow melts in the mountains I want to hit some old wagon trails this spring.

I recently sold off the practical cars to get a four wheel drive Ford Truck.  Love it.  Was camping and exploring the canyons this weekend.

Nice jeep.  Which dunes?

ANeed some advice.
Bought my Truck 3 years ago and paid for the entire guy in cash.
Just got a letter. They have such a high demand for trucks that they said my 0 dollar payment for the next 0 months can be kept the same if I trade it in for a new model!
How could I not go in to the dealership!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

I recently sold off the practical cars to get a four wheel drive Ford Truck.  Love it.  Was camping and exploring the canyons this weekend.

Nice jeep.  Which dunes?

These dunes are on the coast just south of Florence, Oregon. You can drive right into the surf if you're feeling daring. I was BY FAR the heaviest vehicle out there - it's primarily an dirt bike/ATV spot.

Need to find a Jeep buddy so I'm less worried about getting stuck. I've got a high-lift jack mounted on the back in case of an emergency but the right way to go is with another vehicle that can pull your ass out of trouble. I avoid 'mudding' completely. Tried that a few times and the disc brakes on this thing haven't been the same since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickP View Post

Need some advice.
Bought my Truck 3 years ago and paid for the entire guy in cash.
Just got a letter. They have such a high demand for trucks that they said my 0 dollar payment for the next 0 months can be kept the same if I trade it in for a new model!
How could I not go in to the dealership!!!!

A new model of truck?  Or for a car/sedan?

Why would you trade in a perfectly good vehicle for a new one that will depreciate by 10-20% the second you turn the key?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos Orange View Post

These dunes are on the coast just south of Florence, Oregon. You can drive right into the surf if you're feeling daring. I was BY FAR the heaviest vehicle out there - it's primarily an dirt bike/ATV spot.

Need to find a Jeep buddy so I'm less worried about getting stuck. I've got a high-lift jack mounted on the back in case of an emergency but the right way to go is with another vehicle that can pull your ass out of trouble. I avoid 'mudding' completely. Tried that a few times and the disc brakes on this thing haven't been the same since.

Install a winch?  Nathan Drake would approve.

A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/155002/chewer-cars/60#post_4456826"]
A new model of truck?  Or for a car/sedan?  

Why would you trade in a perfectly good vehicle for a new one that will depreciate by 10-20% the second you turn the key?  

[/quote]

It's the same old letter everyone gets. I just find it funny that the letter state's I can keep my current monthly payment of 0 dollars per month. It's likes theybdont even look at these letters before they send it out.
A[quote name="jhp1608" url="/community/t/155002/chewer-cars/50#post_4456614"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

My car:

My wife's car:

Looks great, and I would look into it, were it not for the fact they don't sell them in the UK!

I've also been looking at this: the Skoda Superb 280 - essentially a generation ago Audi A6 with lots of standard kit that has a 280hp tuned 2 litre engine which gets you to 60mph in under 6 seconds. Dull looking, but a real Q car, and buckets of room for the kids in the back.

...and the 5 and 3 series BMWs. I'd get another vRS but I am not sure I can handle another three years with a spoiler on the back!

[/quote]

Well, I gave the Superb 280 a spin, and...it was fine. The 280 horses seem fairly tame, since the 4wd keeps everything very tidy, and even with all the sport options selected and traction control off, it never feels anything other than composed even when cracking 70 from a rolling start down a motorway slip road, or giving a bit of dinkery-jinkery around some single lane twisty stuff. My main gripe with it was the steering. Utterly precise and controlled, with no neutral dead zone, but light as a feather. Precise but no weight and very little feedback from the road. Like driving a video game. It's a very tidy drive in all other respects, but it lacks involvement.

A feeling that was underlined when I test drove the most recent GTi, with the limited slip Performance Pack, later that day. Now that's a little crackerjack of a car. Perfect for road conditions here. I would choose the manual over the automatic gearbox though. A hint of wheelspin taking off from a roundabout which manual control of the clutch would have avoided...or stumping up for the R version with four wheel drive. If I get the choice, it'll be the GTi sitting on the driveway in a month or two. Kids will have to walk.
Seemed like the best place to leave this...

Happened to randomly looking at the car from Leonard Part 6 (a film I do not remember other than the 928 with the cannon on the roof) and a search result for Joe Leonard, US racing car drive, cropped up, which in turn led to a picture of this little beauty. A 1969 Eagle-Ford racing car that came sixth in the Indy 500. 

What a cracker.

...which of course looked even better in 1967 when it was the Eagle-Weslake F1 car

[Image: eagle20.jpg]
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Lovely. I don't know anything about the Eagle cars but now they have my attention. 

The racing cars of this era were such things of beauty. I'm no luddite, and the aerodynamics and safety additions of the last sixty years are all fine with me, but from a purely aesthetic perspective, these ancestors have a purposeful and aggressive simplicity that is really quite special. The shift from cigar shape to a flatter wedge was the key and for a moment there you really could look at these and think of the car as an extension of the person driving it.

The Lotus 49 was a beauty, too.

Well I love my Ford truck, the gas mileage is murdering me.

I am not much of a car guy, and shopping has not been fun. The only thing that excites me is getting the Mustang convertible model I bought in college.

Goddammit ... I am such a cliche.

Ooh I love huge Ford trucks. Completely unpractical over here though. What did you get??
Limited edition late-model Sportstrac.  Heck of a deal, too!  Biggest truck I could fit in my garage at the time (I had four tenths of an inch to spare).

[Image: 2010_ford_explorer-sport-trac_crew-cab-p..._2_500.jpg]

The engine in my old Bug sadly bit the dust a couple weeks ago, and it's currently parked at the intersection of "having it repaired would cost almost as much as buying another one" and "I don't have the free time to repair it myself." So that's going to be moving onto some other more enterprising person for a spin on the Wheel of Reincarnation; in the meantime, I took the opportunity to trade up to a '73 Super Beetle. Has a few quirks that I need to look into, but I drove it 200+ miles home from Monterey without a problem, so I'm feeling good about this one Smile
Time to paint it up like Herbie.

I may possibly have hummed the theme song to myself while driving now and again.