Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS post-release thread
#1

Keep an eye on my Twitter for a very vague tweet around 1:30pm tomorrow.

Reply
#2

http://twitter.com/#!/nicknunziata



How are you not following me yet, BTW?

Reply
#3

IT BEGINS!



And this is where I leave until Friday morning...

Reply
#4
ASeeing it Wednesday night. Or, 12:01 Thursday. In the meantime I am having an internal debate about pre-movie snacks. If I consume a burger, kebab or a selection of the Colonel's finest then I will have a full tummy but run the risk needing a dump half way through the movie. Sure, I can hold it, but who needs that distraction?

And what about booze? A leisurely pint at 10:30 or 11pm will boost the buzz, but then I might need a slash just before the opening crawl.

Hmm...
Reply
#5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nunziata View Post
 

http://twitter.com/#!/nicknunziata



How are you not following me yet, BTW?


I'm following you.



Please no spoilers or I'll send you a photo of my sphincter.



Love you.



x

Reply
#6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post
 

I'm following you.



Please no spoilers or I'll send you a photo of my sphincter.



Love you.



x



This is the Internet. That threat is probably someone's fetish, so better come up with a back up plan.

Reply
#7

Hey Nick. Just saying hi.



For all of youse, am watching this beast in less than 3 hours. Hoping for the best.



Itching to come back with good news.

Reply
#8

It's going to be a long wait till Saturday evening for me.

Reply
#9
I don't know when I'll see this thing. Maybe Saturday.

I'm honestly more excited to listen to the soundtrack than I am to see the film.
Reply
#10

It's 2:35am and I have to be up for work at 6am, so I ain't gonna go into detail right now.



But that was some rare magic, that was.  Just . . . wow.

Reply
#11
A8 hours to go. Come on DDay hold together...
Reply
#12

It's really fucking great.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Reply
#13
AGood. Because I really, really need some escapism right now.
Reply
#14
AJust seen it in Hong Kong in midnight showing.
Plus side: better than the prequels! Parts of it rock! Rey is great! BB8 is cute! Finn is terrific until he gets kinda sidelined!
Ngatives: it is very patchy. And, for me at least, it dragged in the middle.
Full disclaimer: I've had a few drinks, so my sober views may vary...
Reply
#15

Best damned Star Wars movie since Empire. I really didn't expect that. At the very least, it's side by side with A New Hope. I'm leaning towards it being better than New Hope, actually, at least objectively it is.



If pressed, I'd say it's a great blend of New Hope and Empire. It tries really hard for the sense of fun, joy and discovery of the first and the drama and the darkness of the second. It mostly succeeds. At times, it may feel like the greatest hits but it's packaged cannily, energetically performed and directed with savvy.



Pretty damned funny, with great performances and characters. Solo is at his Solo-est here. Not Jedi Solo but Empire Solo. Didn't expect Ford to be so engaged and having this much fun but that was just great to see. I do have some quibbles but they are mostly minor and shouldn't detract you from enjoying it. There's a lot more to talk about but I'll leave that for later. Not really keen to move into spoiler territory just yet.

Reply
#16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie5 View Post
 

Didn't expect Ford to be so engaged and having this much fun but that was just great to see.



Man, he looked like he was having the time of his life.



So, so funny.  BB8's "thumbs up" absolutely slayed.  And Ren is alllllllllllll that as a villain.  Believe the hype on that one.

Reply
#17

It's really good, but too much of a copy of the first film's beats to ever stand next to/above it. Maybe after three drinks you could convince me it's better than Return of the Jedi, but until then it's equal.

Reply
#18
Quote:

Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post
 


Man, he looked like he was having the time of his life.



So, so funny.  BB8's "thumbs up" absolutely slayed.  And Ren is alllllllllllll that as a villain.  Believe the hype on that one.


So true on both accounts. There's something off-centre about Ren that's quite unnerving. Also liked that Solo took "Big Deal' and ran away with it.



I do wish they used the Raid guys a lot more. They were criminally under-used.

Reply
#19

Just saw this. Its not perfect, but its an amazing film, full of the same energy and feel of the original trilogy, while also introducing a sense of renewal and passing the baton to a new generation of characters, stories and creators.


Its biggest flaws are essentially that it follows the original first film and the previous trilogy a bit too close in order to keep things safe, and that it also feels like the opening chapter of a whole new universe of films and related media, which drags out a bit of the enjoyment of the movie as its own story.*


Those two things aside, its essentially what the prequels should had been: Familiar yet different, Similar yet Innovative.


If you like Star Wars, you're gonna love this, simple as that.



*But lets be honest here, Everyone, creators and audience included, KNOWS THAT NOBODY is going into this film without having watched at least the original trilogy once in their lives, regardless of age.

Reply
#20

What an absolute blast!



Like others have said, it's not perfect.  But what it is is a fantastic thrill ride with GREAT new characters.



Seriously, Rey, Finn, Poe, BB8, Ren, Hux and Maz Kanata are wonderful and I loved spending time with them.  Rey and Finn in particular (who are very much the co-leads of the movie) were just an absolute blast to spend time with.  And both have wonderful individual journeys they go on.  I took an instant liking to Poe as well which sees Isaacs turn his natural charisma up to 11 and runs with it for the whole runtime.  Ren and Hux are great villains and the work they do to make Kylo simultaneously tragic and a villain you want to see fail is really impressive.



And that's just the new guys.  Han and Chewie pretty much steal the show whenever they show up on screen.  And make no mistake.  This IS Han.  Witty, charming rogue that we all know and love. Goddammit but Ford brings it like he hasn't in fucking decades!



I am so happy that this paid off.  I want to go see it again, pronto.  Really, the only gripe I have is that the ending drags a bit.



STAR WARS IS FUCKING BACK!

Reply
#21
A[quote name="Eddie5" url="/community/t/155018/star-wars-the-force-awakens-post-release-thread#post_3989223"]I do wish they used the Raid guys a lot more. They were criminally under-used.[/quote]yeah that was a bit weird. I thought they'd at least get a fight scene. Hopefully they feature more in the next one.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Reply
#22
ASpo8iiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuuuuuulllersssssssassssssssssssssssssssassssszzzzzzzzzzssssssssssssszzzzzzZzzzZ

I thought they were both eaten by the CG tentacle monster.
Reply
#23

Saw it. It's basically Star Trek 2009. Some really good character work, I loved Finn and Rey (although too much comes easier to her), and it has a ton of energy and enthusiasm to keep you hooked until the end, despite how dumb and remedial the story is. Like Star Trek 09, so much of the promise of this film is where these characters go next. Thankfully, I believe Rian Looper can outdo Star Trek into Darkness (although he'll have to wrap up dumb-story lines like Finn's coma).



What's funny is that I found the prequel apologists obnoxious beforehand, but this film has lent them some credence. As bad as those films are (and this film is definitely better, if only marginally), they were so much more structurally playful than this (specifically AOTC and TPM). All this movie does is reference the past, like a snake eating its own tail. Also, the action sequences in Phantom Menace, ironically, may have been better staged than anything seen here.

Reply
#24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcLargeHuge View Post
 

Saw it. It's basically Star Trek 2009. Some really good character work, I loved Finn and Rey (although too much comes easier to her), and it has a ton of energy and enthusiasm to keep you hooked until the end, despite how dumb and remedial the story is. Like Star Trek 09, so much of the promise of this film is where these characters go next. Thankfully, I believe Rian Looper can outdo Star Trek into Darkness (although he'll have to wrap up dumb-story lines like Finn's coma).



What's funny is that I found the prequel apologists obnoxious beforehand, but this film has lent them some credence. As bad as those films are (and this film is definitely better, if only marginally), they were so much more structurally playful than this (specifically AOTC and TPM). All this movie does is reference the past, like a snake eating its own tail. Also, the action sequences in Phantom Menace, ironically, may have been better staged than anything seen here.



Oof, not what I wanted to hear.



EDIT: Of course, Star Trek 2009 was basically Trek names being stuffed into an Episode IV framework...so...

Reply
#25
AIt's much, much better than TREK 09.
Reply
#26
A[quote name="Bluelouboyle" url="/community/t/155018/star-wars-the-force-awakens-post-release-thread#post_3989525"]It's much, much better than TREK 09.[/quote]

I loved 09 Trek, except for the relentless, lazy use of coincidence to push characters into place. If this can at least have character progressions be a bit more organic (though I'm hearing there is a bit of a Cadet-to-Captain analogue in this) and it feels like SW, I'll be happy.
Reply
#27

SPOIIILLLEERRSSS



It was very good. At times great.



I don't personally think Star Trek 09 is a fair comparison because I thought the story in this one was better structured and had better progression. Aside from a few odd question marks - and even those I think are quite possibly answerable either from the text or from reasonable supposition - I thought the plot hung together provided you are prepared to accept the Macguffin should be a thing worth Macguffining about. There is perhaps a slight lack of dramatic movement in the middle, a touch of "now we go here, and now we go there". And yes, the film does coast a tiny bit on coincidence.  Destiny plays a bit of a part, but then again, this is Star Wars. Characters having destinies is in its DNA.



Overall I thought it was stitched together pretty well and avoided a number of the problems with over complication and narrative airlessness that a lot of modern blockbusters suffer from. Although there were call backs, they all felt deliberate and playful rather than pandering. The only technical deficiency was in relation to one character that looked like a character from Harry Potter using mid-2000s motion capture tech. Given his potential importance in the future, I hope his realisation gets better in this next film.




I have heard people say that they didn't think it expanded the world of Star Wars very much, and sure, it was very much put together as a linking film from one era to the next, with all the heavy lifting being done by the OT. Nonetheless, the story offered a few interesting world building kinks to what is a very well established universe. It may not be enough to satisfy some, but I found enough new stuff, visually and narratively, foreground and background, to make this very much its own film and a really good entry point into a new trilogy.



One thing I would emphasise. This is by far the funniest Star Wars film I have seen. The humour really hits, and acts as an effective modernising tool. You know the old characters, but they have a bit more earthiness and looseness about them which makes them convincingly older and more sardonic versions of themselves - even Chewie gets to sass. The younger characters, particularly Finn and Rey, have a clarity and a brightness about them and are really funny, which is probably the single most refreshing thing about this film. Not just funny because of witty one liners, but the humour comes straight from the characters, and as characters they are vidily and quickly sketched, without using lazy tropes. They feel human but lack the whiny uncertainty of Luke when he began his journey. Rey is a reluctant hero, but the reluctance comes from a more grown up place I felt. Finn is striking out on his journey but because it comes from a moral place, it carries weight and purpose. Both feel human and immediately relatable.



And I haven't even mentioned the bad guy. Kylo Ren is flat out amazing. Well conceived, well written, well acted. A genuine threat, but an emotionally honest character too. The scene...which I won't spoil...but THE scene is incredibly well written and played. Even he gets some laughs too.



The action is pretty well shot and layed out. In a few cases I struggled a bit with geography, once on a local scale, once on a planetary scale. There was a touch of teleporting, but nothing egregious. Nothing that ripped me out of the moment.



The film is getting better in my mind with every passing moment. It's not Fury Road level perfection, but it it's a strong entry that enhances the franchise. Really looking forward to seeing this again.

Reply
#28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post


I loved 09 Trek, except for the relentless, lazy use of coincidence to push characters into place. If this can at least have character progressions be a bit more organic (though I'm hearing there is a bit of a Cadet-to-Captain analogue in this) and it feels like SW, I'll be happy.


I can sort of see that. Coincidence plays a part, but I think/hope there is a good reason for pushing things through a bit.



ETA what I mean is that given the background to the story, I don't think replicating Luke's journey would have worked. I also think there are enough seeds to give some (narrative) justification for how things develop over the course of the film. I didn't feel as if anyone's progression was compressed or short circuited. The writing managed to avoid that. If anything the speed of character evolution was actually quite a welcome surprise.

Reply
#29

Man, CHUD is weird. We have a Pre-Release thread where half the people have seen it but are hanging out there anyway, a Post Release thread where half the people apparently haven't seen it and everyone is afraid of spoiling stuff for them, and a Spoiler thread where most people haven't seen it and those that have are still afraid of spoiling things despite the thread name.

Reply
#30

Haha...so true.



There is a ton I want to talk about in this thread, but I'm in the very odd position of being one of the first to have seen a film this big, and I don't quite know what to do with myself.



Man, this thing is really growing on me in hindsight. So many nice little bits, taking what could have been over familiar and freshening it up.

Reply
#31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post
 

SPOIIILLLEERRSSS



It was very good. At times great.



I don't personally think Star Trek 09 is a fair comparison because I thought the story in this one was better structured and had better progression. Aside from a few odd question marks - and even those I think are quite possibly answerable either from the text or from reasonable supposition - I thought the plot hung together provided you are prepared to accept the Macguffin should be a thing worth Macguffining about. There is perhaps a slight lack of dramatic movement in the middle, a touch of "now we go here, and now we go there". And yes, the film does coast a tiny bit on coincidence.  Destiny plays a bit of a part, but then again, this is Star Wars. Characters having destinies is in its DNA.



Overall I thought it was stitched together pretty well and avoided a number of the problems with over complication and narrative airlessness that a lot of modern blockbusters suffer from. Although there were call backs, they all felt deliberate and playful rather than pandering. The only technical deficiency was in relation to one character that looked like a character from Harry Potter using mid-2000s motion capture tech. Given his potential importance in the future, I hope his realisation gets better in this next film.




I have heard people say that they didn't think it expanded the world of Star Wars very much, and sure, it was very much put together as a linking film from one era to the next, with all the heavy lifting being done by the OT. Nonetheless, the story offered a few interesting world building kinks to what is a very well established universe. It may not be enough to satisfy some, but I found enough new stuff, visually and narratively, foreground and background, to make this very much its own film and a really good entry point into a new trilogy.



One thing I would emphasise. This is by far the funniest Star Wars film I have seen. The humour really hits, and acts as an effective modernising tool. You know the old characters, but they have a bit more earthiness and looseness about them which makes them convincingly older and more sardonic versions of themselves - even Chewie gets to sass. The younger characters, particularly Finn and Rey, have a clarity and a brightness about them and are really funny, which is probably the single most refreshing thing about this film. Not just funny because of witty one liners, but the humour comes straight from the characters, and as characters they are vidily and quickly sketched, without using lazy tropes. They feel human but lack the whiny uncertainty of Luke when he began his journey. Rey is a reluctant hero, but the reluctance comes from a more grown up place I felt. Finn is striking out on his journey but because it comes from a moral place, it carries weight and purpose. Both feel human and immediately relatable.



And I haven't even mentioned the bad guy. Kylo Ren is flat out amazing. Well conceived, well written, well acted. A genuine threat, but an emotionally honest character too. The scene...which I won't spoil...but THE scene is incredibly well written and played. Even he gets some laughs too.



The action is pretty well shot and layed out. In a few cases I struggled a bit with geography, once on a local scale, once on a planetary scale. There was a touch of teleporting, but nothing egregious. Nothing that ripped me out of the moment.



The film is getting better in my mind with every passing moment. It's not Fury Road level perfection, but it it's a strong entry that enhances the franchise. Really looking forward to seeing this again.


I'd say your review is the closest to I feel about the movie. Great stuff. Despite some people insistence there's nothing new and a lot of it is fan service, I felt that, generally, most of the callbacks and remixes came from an organic and genuine place. It didn't feel cynical or manipulative at all. That's all I can ask for.



I feel  a lot of the criticism of the movie just permeates with this weird JJ hate that the internet has latched on to. and they go into tangents with it. The movie has really weird issues. I recognize them. I really do wanna talk about them but that's for another day.



For now, I'm just going to enjoy a pretty damned great movie made by people who gave a shit. That much is really obvious.

Reply
#32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post
 

Haha...so true.



There is a ton I want to talk about in this thread, but I'm in the very odd position of being one of the first to have seen a film this big, and I don't quite know what to do with myself.



Man, this thing is really growing on me in hindsight. So many nice little bits, taking what could have been over familiar and freshening it up.


 It does grow. And it really does get better with a second viewing. I took my nephew and niece today - 12 and 10 and they loved it.



On my first showing, THAT moment on the bridge clouded everything else from that point on. It permeated every scene thereafter, so much so, a lot of the scenes lost a bit of focus to me and the Trench Run was background noise somewhat but my second showing allowed me to appreciate things a little better.

Reply
#33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie5 View Post
 

 It does grow. And it really does get better with a second viewing. I took my nephew and niece today - 12 and 10 and they loved it.



On my first showing, THAT moment on the bridge clouded everything else from that point on. It permeated every scene thereafter, so much so, a lot of the scenes lost a bit of focus to me and the Trench Run was background noise somewhat but my second showing allowed me to appreciate things a little better.



That scene is the biggie of the whole film, obviously so but no lesser because of that. Like you the fights and the battles were sort of muted, albeit otherwise really good (although the final Xwing bits reminded me of the LEGO Star Wars game..haha...I almost shouted out "collect the coins, Poe").



Ren's character is really well handled.

Reply
#34

Chewie also felt like a real character, even in comparison to the OT (the moment in Jabba's palace when he reunites with Han aside).

Reply
#35
Yeah. He seems quite the multi-species ladies man.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)