Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS post-release thread
That moment gives us a very rare moment of Rey making a mistake. She accidently fucks up the wiring, which actually saves all of their lives so not really a mistake!

Oh and she saves Finn too and doesn't take credit for it.
It just feels silly and blatantly contrived in a way that most of the OT - ewoks aside - doesn't.

To me. YMMV and all that.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Last time I saw that scene, I was struck by how funny it would have been if Han and Chewie just got devoured by those things, five minutes after entering the film.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
That whole sequence feels like it stumbled drunkenly into the film after getting lost on the way to Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies.
An excellent comparison, commo. Yep.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

It sets up a desperate situation that they are able to escape from - in the Falcon - and ultimately that's what Star Wars is meant to be about. Not trying to start anything but TLJ may well have aimed for more complicated things, however it didn't do it properly, and for the most part is a frustrating and annoying experience.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
In general terms, yes, I get what it does.

In specific execution, though, it feels tonally and visually very out of place.

Part of why the scene feels fanfilmy and non-OT Star Warsy is that the environment in which the monsters do their thing is fairly mundane. A water-filled trash compactor, an ice cave and a dungeon each have their own inherent sense of peril even before any monster turns up to make things worse. The hold and corridors of a ship are nowhere close to as compelling a setting for a Star Wars monster encounter.

The other part is the design of the monsters themselves can't hold a candle to any of the OT monsters. They're overcomplicated, instantly forgettable Michael Bayformers-esque visual messes, whereas the trash compactor monster, wampa and rancor (and sarlacc) are all much simpler, stronger visual ideas and thus memorable AF.
Oh look, we're re-re-re-re litigating this one again.
Tis the season!
Bucho ain't wrong about the creature design though. Too busy.
Oh yeah, an alien monster on a space ship! What nonsense!
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Don't you even dare strawman my ass like that Jones, I won't have it!
I love the sets of that sequence. And that’s about it.
I also remember how stoked my brother was going in knowing that the guys from The Raid were going to be playing space pirates and expecting some kickass fight scene. Not quite what we got, there...
Of all the times to ditch the practical effects I don't think it did that scene any favours.
(12-18-2019, 07:55 PM)Bucho Wrote: Part of why the scene feels fanfilmy and non-OT Star Warsy is that the environment in which the monsters do their thing is fairly mundane. A water-filled trash compactor, an ice cave and a dungeon each have their own inherent sense of peril even before any monster turns up to make things worse. The hold and corridors of a ship are nowhere close to as compelling a setting for a Star Wars monster encounter.

The other part is the design of the monsters themselves can't hold a candle to any of the OT monsters. They're overcomplicated, instantly forgettable Michael Bayformers-esque visual messes, whereas the trash compactor monster, wampa and rancor (and sarlacc) are all much simpler, stronger visual ideas and thus memorable AF.

I wouldn't say it's Bayformeresque. That tentacle monster wasn't overly complicated either, in fact it's a pretty simple design. It kind of seems like looks wise it's a reference to Dark Star, as (outside of the tentacles) it's basically just a round red ball with yellow bumps on it.

The major problem with that sequence is it's just not good. It's this comedy set piece that just doesn't work as it is, and on top of that it just keeps on going on.
(12-18-2019, 07:57 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Oh look, we're re-re-re-re litigating this one again.

Welcome to a Star Wars thread!
(12-18-2019, 07:57 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Oh look, we're re-re-re-re litigating this one again.

They've picked the carcass of TLJ clean so of course this is happening yet again.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(12-18-2019, 11:25 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: I also remember how stoked my brother was going in knowing that the guys from The Raid were going to be playing space pirates and expecting some kickass fight scene. Not quite what we got, there...

That was bullshit, because that was something that got kind of hyped up too. There casting came on the heels of The Raid 2, and was this announcement that got a lot of coverage...then they show up and don't do the one thing anyone knew them for. That's some Rian Johnson levels of subverting your expectations. 

The other big "get you thinking about something more interesting than the movie actually did" was all the hype around that girl from Game of Thrones playing Captain Phasma, and her being named that because of the Phantasm movies.
The phasma thing was great because Devin I think wrote one of those "we did it" articles about getting her cast in the movie.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Remember when they first announced the cast where Ridley was the only woman and the big story was "Star Wars: still a boys club"? I remember AICN posted an article about it that started with a giant page-filling feminism symbol, which in hindsight is ironic on several levels.
Mmmmm hmmmm.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(12-19-2019, 04:43 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: The phasma thing was great because Devin I think wrote one of those "we did it" articles about getting her cast in the movie.

[/url]You Did It: Captain Phasma Was Gender-Swapped | Birth.Movies.Death.
[url=https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/07/you-did-it-captain-phasma-was-gender-swapped]

I knew you would come through for me simbob.
(12-18-2019, 07:55 PM)Bucho Wrote: Part of why the scene feels fanfilmy and non-OT Star Warsy is that the environment in which the monsters do their thing is fairly mundane. A water-filled trash compactor, an ice cave and a dungeon each have their own inherent sense of peril even before any monster turns up to make things worse. The hold and corridors of a ship are nowhere close to as compelling a setting for a Star Wars monster encounter.

Mandalorian pulled off a 100x more effective, evocative, and atmospheric "monster sequence" on a fraction of the budget.

They should have let Fumiyama (spelling?), Favreau, Filoni, and/or Chow direct these films.

(12-23-2019, 04:50 PM)Overlord Wrote:

Mandalorian pulled off a 100x more effective, evocative, and atmospheric "monster sequence" on a fraction of the budget.

They should have let Fumiyama (spelling?), Favreau, Filoni, and/or Chow direct these films.

Yeah, they nailed that, not just with the beautifully distinctive, instantly memorable design of the mudhorn, but having Mando have to fight the beast in an environment which was also an enemy.
(12-23-2019, 08:42 PM)Bucho Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 04:50 PM)Overlord Wrote:

Yeah, they nailed that, not just with the beautifully distinctive, instantly memorable design of the mudhorn, but having Mando have to fight the beast in an environment which was also an enemy.

I was actually thinking of the flying pterodactyl dragons, but BOTH SEQUENCES WERE 10000X BETTER THAN IN TFA!

(12-22-2019, 03:34 PM)simbob Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 04:43 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: The phasma thing was great because Devin I think wrote one of those "we did it" articles about getting her cast in the movie.

[/url]You Did It: Captain Phasma Was Gender-Swapped | Birth.Movies.Death.
[url=https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/07/you-did-it-captain-phasma-was-gender-swapped]

Thank goodness. Such a rich, multifaceted character with inexhaustible depth and complexity.
And so fully utilized!
She's the best Wile E. Coyote in space ever.
Can't wait to see how they kill her THIS time.
I don't agree with criticisms that Phasma was under-used (this applies to Darth Maul and Boba Fett too): if you've got a minor supporting villain, you want to design and cast them to be as memorable as you can. Better these characters look intriguing and hint at interesting ideas than they look like stock goons and suggest nothing. Making a henchman work doesn't warrant elevating their role.
Phasma was underused even as a henchman. Finn has a whole fight sequence with a random stormtrooper. That is exactly what you have an established heavy lying around for, and might just be enough to make the bit when she is tossed in the trash compactor feel like an actual comeuppance.

I can’t think of another movie as ill-served by a sequel as this one is by TROS. All the excuses for its slapdash and lightweight nature, that it had to play things safe to reestablish the franchise, that it was laying groundwork for more interesting material to come, ring entirely hollow in light of what was to come. It turns out all the interesting material would be invented out of more or less thin air by another writer, and JJ would respond by somehow managing to retreat even further into even sloppier rehashing of OT elements. It’s pretty apparent that the only ambition he had for this story and characters beyond making them reenact ANH was “I dunno, have them reenact ROTJ, I guess.”
At least we DID get the more interesting material! The Jedi storyline in TLJ is going to age like a fine wine.

Even if it was someone completely unrelated trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit filmmaking...
Does TFA play it safe and make underwhelming creative choices? Sure, but I still have fun watching it.

Negative nancies.