Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noah Hawley's LEGION on FX
The highlight (other than Aubrey Plaza's crazy eyes) was Kerry's reasoning for how she knows she's real - "Because when I hit people, they fall down."
Plaza's story was the highlight this episode. Everything else was largely wheel-spinning or set-up.

I will say that this episode was significantly better directed, on a technical level, than quite a few of its predecessors this season. Better clarity, better camera angles and blocking, etc. It's like a hazy gauze was removed from the cinematography.
Kerry appears to share with another Marvel character a difficulty with metaphors. Makes a lot more sense in her case, though.

Anyone else catch the elderly driver last week asking Farouk if 'the professor' was there?
RENEWED FOR SEASON THREE!!!
“With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he’ll never know.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Fantastic news!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(06-01-2018, 03:13 PM)MistaCelestial Wrote: RENEWED FOR SEASON THREE!!!

Actually shocked by that. Good news!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Great to hear about the renewal!

(05-31-2018, 06:31 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Kerry appears to share with another Marvel character a difficulty with metaphors. Makes a lot more sense in her case, though.

Anyone else catch the elderly driver last week asking Farouk if 'the professor' was there?

Yep. I'd be surprised if Xavier actually showed up, but I do appreciate the small reminders of the X-Men connection.

(05-30-2018, 03:47 PM)schwartz Wrote: The highlight (other than Aubrey Plaza's crazy eyes) was Kerry's reasoning for how she knows she's real - "Because when I hit people, they fall down."

Aubrey Plaza's crazy eyes could carry their own spinoff series.
"I would stab death twice in the heart before he could get to you."

Well that's the single most adorable thing I've ever heard.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

I'm glad we spent five hundred hours on David and Syd the Rapist's relationship just so she can betray him after being talked to condescendingly for thirty minutes.
(06-07-2018, 07:10 AM)thecooleravian Wrote: I'm glad we spent five hundred hours on David and Syd the Rapist's relationship just so she can betray him after being talked to condescendingly for thirty minutes.

I'd argue this wasn't exactly out of the blue though. Every interaction with Future-Syd felt like its been laying the groundwork for a potential rift between the two, and Melanie has kinda been making the whole 'David is seriously dangerous' argument even before she was possessed by Farouk. The question of whether or not David can be trusted has been at the forefront of just about every episode this season.

But Melanie's vulnerability and eventual possession is a big deal too; Farouk has always been a master at sowing delusion and distrust - he's the perfect villain for the age of Trump - and it just feels right that she would be the vessel he uses to tear the group apart. Again, the show has been laying the groundwork for this all season, with the various narrated digressions (mass hysteria, conversion disorder, etc) and the delusion-bugs implanted in everyone's brain. It all felt earned to me.

Also, the visuals this week was incredible. I love the giant drain in the middle of the desert. The comic booky image of Evil David, with his spiked hair. The minotaur. Aubrey Plaza strolling through the desert with her sniper rifle. They continue to be on point with the needle-drops too. This show is good.
(06-07-2018, 11:32 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: But Melanie's vulnerability and eventual possession is a big deal too; Farouk has always been a master at sowing delusion and distrust - he's the perfect villain for the age of Trump 

I think his having literal magic mind control powers and being super-suave makes him slightly imperfect as a Trump proxy, if more fitting for Legion's heightened "reality".   Hawley still retains the title for perfect Trump villain in Fargo's lumpy, disheveled Varga, whose lies and methods seem like they should be too crude to be as effective as they are.
(06-07-2018, 11:57 AM)schwartz Wrote: I think his having literal magic mind control powers and being super-suave makes him slightly imperfect as a Trump proxy, if more fitting for Legion's heightened "reality".   Hawley still retains the title for perfect Trump villain in Fargo's lumpy, disheveled Varga, whose lies and methods seem like they should be too crude to be as effective as they are.

I like it. Agreed.

Re: Farouk / Trump - both have a knack for knowing exactly which thread to tug on to unravel the reality of everyone around them. One is super-suave and smart, and the other is a stupid bag of orange shit, but when the dust clears, the effect is similar: everyone is at each other's throat, slowly being poisoned.
I think we can all agree that once the dust settles on this administration that Hawley would be a perfect choice for a Trump series/movie.
Fantastic episode. What an amazing show.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
(06-07-2018, 12:31 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote:
(06-07-2018, 11:57 AM)schwartz Wrote: I think his having literal magic mind control powers and being super-suave makes him slightly imperfect as a Trump proxy, if more fitting for Legion's heightened "reality".   Hawley still retains the title for perfect Trump villain in Fargo's lumpy, disheveled Varga, whose lies and methods seem like they should be too crude to be as effective as they are.

I like it.  Agreed.  

Re: Farouk / Trump - both have a knack for knowing exactly which thread to tug on to unravel the reality of everyone around them.  One is super-suave and smart, and the other is a stupid bag of orange shit, but when the dust clears, the effect is similar: everyone is at each other's throat, slowly being poisoned.

Farouk is what Steve Bannon imagines himself to be.  Varga is how he actually appears to the rest of the world.
(06-07-2018, 11:32 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote:
(06-07-2018, 07:10 AM)thecooleravian Wrote: I'm glad we spent five hundred hours on David and Syd the Rapist's relationship just so she can betray him after being talked to condescendingly for thirty minutes.

I'd argue this wasn't exactly out of the blue though. Every interaction with Future-Syd felt like its been laying the groundwork for a potential rift between the two, and Melanie has kinda been making the whole 'David is seriously dangerous' argument even before she was possessed by Farouk. The question of whether or not David can be trusted has been at the forefront of just about every episode this season.

I'll add that, while Syd was certainly being swayed by Farouk-as-Melanie, I don't think you can say that she betrayed David, since she hasn't really taken any action yet. Also, watching someone repeatedly plunge a drill into someone else can do a lot to alter your views on that person.

Speaking of that, I hope Cary wasn't just trying to make David feel better when he said he thought Oliver would be okay.
(06-07-2018, 05:38 PM)Pither Wrote:
(06-07-2018, 11:32 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote:

I'd argue this wasn't exactly out of the blue though.   Every interaction with Future-Syd felt like its been laying the groundwork for a potential rift between the two, and Melanie has kinda been making the whole 'David is seriously dangerous' argument even before she was possessed by Farouk.  The question of whether or not David can be trusted has been at the forefront of just about every episode this season.  

I'll add that, while Syd was certainly being swayed by Farouk-as-Melanie, I don't think you can say that she betrayed David, since she hasn't really taken any action yet. Also, watching someone repeatedly plunge a drill into someone else can do a lot to alter your views on that person.

I thought of that, but then the premise of this season is that they've all teamed up with the evil mutant-hunting government guys from the first season, so you think she'd be a little more comfortable with gray morality. Plus, there was that time she raped someone.
"We've been here for about an hour. No, what's the word?"
"Um...soup?"
"No, I don't think it's soup, we've been here longer than that."

Jermaine Clement was born to deliver that line.
Holy shit that cold open.

Also holy shit that ending.
Yeah, that went to an even darker place than I thought it would. Kind of upsetting, really, though I'm certainly interested to see where the next season takes things.

(06-12-2018, 10:22 PM)schwartz Wrote: "We've been here for about an hour. No, what's the word?"
"Um...soup?"
"No, I don't think it's soup, we've been here longer than that."

Jermaine Clement was born to deliver that line.

"Dr. Glasses McLabcoat."
That was one of the worst hours of television I think I've ever seen. Like, Smallville bad.

"David, you're going to kill Farouk, the irredeemably evil, otherwise unstoppable murder machine! That's bad and wrong! I'm going to kill you because of how bad and wrong you are to do such a thing! But first, let me chat with you for ten minutes, because it's not like your powers are going to come back and make you a living god in a few moments or anything."
They weren't upset that he was going to kill Farouk. They were afraid of what he was going to do afterward.
(06-13-2018, 06:45 AM)thecooleravian Wrote: That was one of the worst hours of television I think I've ever seen. Like, Smallville bad.
I haven't caught up with the second half of the season, but this seems awfully harsh.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(06-13-2018, 06:45 AM)thecooleravian Wrote: That was one of the worst hours of television I think I've ever seen. Like, Smallville bad.

Sounds par for the course for the second season.
Jesus Hyperbole Christ, youse guys.
(06-13-2018, 09:21 PM)schwartz Wrote: Jesus Hyperbole Christ, youse guys.

I can't praise the first season any higher.  I think there has been maybe two or three episodes of worthwhile content thus far in the second season (I haven't watched the finale yet).  

I've detailed my reasons at various times in this thread.  There have been some truly terrible episodes, most prominently the Syd-the-rapist entry ... which I'm still waiting for some sort of coherent follow-up to, as that was a major character reveal that has essentially been ignored for the remainder of the season. 

Given that Hawley has co-writing instead of writing credits for the majority of this season, I have to wonder just how much was actually his work.
(06-13-2018, 10:15 PM)Overlord Wrote: most prominently the Syd-the-rapist entry ... which I'm still waiting for some sort of coherent follow-up to, as that was a major character reveal that has essentially been ignored for the remainder of the season. 

Syd told David that story in Season 1. How was it a major character reveal?
(06-13-2018, 10:21 PM)Fafhrd Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 10:15 PM)Overlord Wrote: most prominently the Syd-the-rapist entry ... which I'm still waiting for some sort of coherent follow-up to, as that was a major character reveal that has essentially been ignored for the remainder of the season. 

Syd told David that story in Season 1. How was it a major character reveal?

When she tells that story in, I think the fourth or fifth episode of season one, IIRC it isn't entirely clear that she swapped intentionally or whether she fully understood her powers at the time. She also didn't mention that she let the guy get arrested and sent to prison and that it was a 100% calculated and cold-blooded act. I mean, this didn't just happen in some sort of powers-breakdown/confusion, she fucking set the guy up.
That is both an overly generous read of her confession in S1, where it's absolutely clear that the swap and seduction was done intentionally, and an overly harsh read of what we're shown this season, where it is not at all clear that she was trying to 'set the guy up.'
She wasn't trying to frame him for rape, she was just trying to rape him. Totally different awful things.

I should probably go full Plinkett on this so people can get just how faily it is.
Farouk continues to be the most coherently presented character.

Kind of a strange finale.
(06-14-2018, 12:52 AM)Fafhrd Wrote: That is both an overly generous read of her confession in S1, where it's absolutely clear that the swap and seduction was done intentionally, and an overly harsh read of what we're shown this season, where it is not at all clear that she was trying to 'set the guy up.'

I agree with you on that. Syd isn't a cold calculating rapist at all.

That was a terrific hour of television and really the logical climax to what they've been building since the first season. The hints were already there but we chose to ignore them because David's the "good guy". He was never really good to begin with.

(06-14-2018, 03:17 AM)thecooleravian Wrote: She wasn't trying to frame him for rape, she was just trying to rape him. Totally different awful things.

I should probably go full Plinkett on this so people can get just how faily it is.

Please don't.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Okay.
Yeah, you guys are completely in the minority here: This was an incredibly amazing episode. Loved it the moment David and Farouk were Karaoking behind blue eyes.

Seriously, what a fucking cliff hanger. It doesn't just change the status quo--it completely blows it the fuck up.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

I find it odd how you guys who are so offended by Syd's rapiness have expressed zero opinion on the big turn in the finale being David raping her.