Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noah Hawley's LEGION on FX
For the record, I think Farouk is still behind it all. I sympathize with David in that part of his mind feels like he's been forced into his actions against his will, but I recognize that he will turn out to be the villain in the end.

I also have a huge problem with Syd the Rapist going all nuclear on David the Rapist.

I hate that most of the ancillary characters got marginalized as this season went on. I miss Ptonomy. I miss Cary/Kerry and I really, really missed Melanie. She may have had the worst of it all this season.

I still watched the entire season and was engaged, much more than a few other shows I tried to watch this season, and I am looking forward to season 3.
I can't stand to see myself go through the motions, that bring me back into these same old sad emotions.
So I finally finished it and I have to say the David is the real villain storyline is a cool move and has incredible potential if it wasn't handled so damn poorly.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(06-19-2018, 11:24 AM)tcjsavannah Wrote: For the record, I think Farouk is still behind it all.

I think Farouk is behind it all in the sense that David's insanity is a direct result of 30+ years of psychic abuse by Farouk. (This is what the Hamm narrated lessons are illustrating). But David's actions are all his own. Especially in the finale.
It doesn't matter David is the villain now it just feels unearned somehow.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I gave up halfway through season 2, but it looks like the third (and final) season will be premiering in June.
I just remembered I haven't watched Season 2 yet!

TOO MUCH TELEVISION
the empire never ended
(02-04-2019, 06:02 PM)wasp Wrote: I just remembered I haven't watched Season 2 yet!

TOO MUCH TELEVISION

It's something.
(02-04-2019, 06:02 PM)wasp Wrote: I just remembered I haven't watched Season 2 yet!

TOO MUCH TELEVISION

I can relate so much to this. My viewing backlog (tv/movies/dvds/blurays/youtube/streaming) is absolutely ridiculous. My number one pastmime being gaming doesn't help at all.
Git' in under mah belly!
Never bothered with season 2 because, a. as said, so much else, and b. the only thing I really remembered from season 1 was the Ravel bolero sequence.  So we'll always have that.

Never bothered with season 2 because, a. as said, so much else, and b. the only thing I really remembered from season 1 was the Ravel bolero sequence.  So we'll always have that.
I stopped after about 25% through Ep. 1 of S2 mostly because I started to get a headache from trying to figure out what was real, not real, a dream, a nightmare, an illusion, a computer sequence, a simulation, etc.
I threw up my hands and gave up early in season 2, but did anybody else know that the 3rd and final season started last night?
Holy crap! No!

And I loved season 2!
I was cool. Of course, strange and bizarre for strange and bizarre's sake. David's a cult leader, Farook's still working with the good guys, and David is looking for a time travelling mutant who absolutely rocks it in a mini skirt. I mean gawddamn.

Sorry, forgot myself a second.
Last night's premiere was great (directed by Andrew Stanton), and I'm fully back on board. Never seen Lauren Tsai (Switch) before but she is now totally on my radar.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Turns out I missed Cary and Kerry more than I thought:
"I still need to test his reflexes."

(Kerry clocks Ptonomy in the face.)

"Slow."

No matter what side he's on, Faroukh is as smoothly sinister as ever. His referring to David as "my boy" was really creepy.

I really appreciate how each season premiere has used a song from the Rolling Stones' psychedelic phase.
I'm glad we're getting a final season with these characters. That premiere was fantastic.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I had assumed that any appearance by Charles Xavier on this show would be more or less a cameo, so it was interesting seeing an episode with so much focus on him and Gabrielle. The whole melancholy, ghostly vibe of this one really worked for me.
Last night's episode was directed by Daniel Kwan (one half of The Daniels - SWISS ARMY MAN) and was another keeper. The way those time demons were actualized kinda freaked me out (reminded me a bit of the silent creepy dude from the nightmare episode of LOUIE) and the bit w/ the short clip of THE SHIELD caught in their time loop made me rewind to make sure someone at FX didn't fuck it up after the commercial break.

I don't know how many episodes are left but I'm already missing this show.
The time eaters were really freaky. Their designs reminded me a bit of the Blue Meanies, like if David Lynch directed a live-action remake of YELLOW SUBMARINE.

"Violence Lollipop Busker" does have a pretty nice ring to it.
I was trying to figure out why Xavier looked so familiar, and now I realize holy shit, it was Viserys Targaryen.
(07-16-2019, 11:51 PM)Pither Wrote: The time eaters were really freaky. Their designs reminded me a bit of the Blue Meanies, like if David Lynch directed a live-action remake of YELLOW SUBMARINE.

For me they kinda looked like a cross between CHUDs and the aliens from ATTACK THE BLOCK. At least until they showed their fucking teeth.
Jesus christ this episode was something else.
No kidding.

Syd in David's mind was messed up.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Kerry getting super excited at the thought of going into space made me crack up for real.
(07-23-2019, 02:32 AM)headless fett Wrote: No kidding.

Syd in David's mind was messed up.

It sure was. I wonder if rational, English David from season one is still in there somewhere.
I got Hulu recently so I binge-watched the first 2 seasons. I absolutely loved season 1's mixture of Kubrickian aesthetic with Lynchian nightmare fuel. As far as the cast goes, Aubrey Plaza was definitely the MVP. Her version of The Shadow King was a far more interesting villain than the majority of the MCU's baddies. Overall, Legion had the most solid freshman season of any show in recent memory.

As much as I loved season 1, I found myself equally frustrated by season 2. That's not to say there wasn't stuff I liked. The new actor playing Farouk was great and his final battle with David was one of the best scenes in the entire show. I also loved the depiction of the insanity monster and how easily David defeated it. It was basically Legion's take on a Monster of the Week episode. On the other hand, there were too many times where the show became weird for the sake of being weird (Looking at you, Vermillion) without any bearing on the plot and that got on my nerves. I also really hated Syd this season. What David did to her was wrong but she's just as bad after the whole fiasco with her mom's boyfriend. Like I totally understand why David's the villain now but what she did was equally monstrous so her not showing one iota of remorse and instead constantly asserting that she's a survivor and a hero came off as bullshit to me. She's just as deluded as David.

So even though a good chunk of season 2 left a sour taste in my mouth, I still want to see the end of this story so I'm continuing with season 3. I watched the first episode on Prime and thought it was a good premiere. The time travel stuff with Switch is a fun addition to the show. I especially like how her power is depicted with the long corridor.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
I was also down on Season 2, despite some bright spots, but I think the 3rd season has been pretty great so far.
And I'm finally caught up. To steal a phrase from Pierce Hawthorne, this season is streets ahead of season 2. Those Blue Meanies Weeping Angels Time Eaters were real bastards. What they did to Lenny's family was beyond cruel....poor Lenny. I wonder if we'll see her again as a phantom in David's mind. We'll definitely be seeing the Time Eaters again. You can hear one of them giggle at the end of the last episode. Syd continues to frustrate me. Her (and maybe the writers?) trying to rationalize what she did to her Mom and the boyfriend and acting like she was the victim in that situation was really gross. There are still three episodes left, so maybe Noah Hawley can still do something to redeem that character. We'll see. After Monday's episode, David is in full-blown supervillain mode as Legion. I can't see his arc ending any other way than either death or wiping himself out of existence.
This show has been utter nonsense for more than season now, but nonsense doesn't come any more glorious than Jason Mantzoukas as the daffily evil counterpart to Jemaine's daffily good Oliver.

"Did they tell you about chlamydia??"

"It's the ostrich. No...no, that's a big bird."

HOLY SHIT. RAP BATTLE.
(07-30-2019, 12:56 AM)schwartz Wrote: HOLY SHIT.  RAP BATTLE.

This was a great Syd episode. They made her a likeable character again by teaching her empathy and giving a shit about something other than herself.
(07-30-2019, 12:56 AM)schwartz Wrote:
HOLY SHIT. RAP BATTLE.

The Hiphopopotamus has still got it!
Excellent episode. Great seeing Oliver again and that rap battle was perfectly done.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
(07-24-2019, 11:46 AM)hp pufncraft Wrote: I got Hulu recently so I binge-watched the first 2 seasons. I absolutely loved season 1's mixture of Kubrickian aesthetic with Lynchian nightmare fuel. As far as the cast goes, Aubrey Plaza was definitely the MVP. Her version of The Shadow King was a far more interesting villain than the majority of the MCU's baddies. Overall, Legion had the most solid freshman season of any show in recent memory.

As much as I loved season 1, I found myself equally frustrated by season 2. That's not to say there wasn't stuff I liked. The new actor playing Farouk was great and his final battle with David was one of the best scenes in the entire show. I also loved the depiction of the insanity monster and how easily David defeated it. It was basically Legion's take on a Monster of the Week episode. On the other hand, there were too many times where the show became weird for the sake of being weird (Looking at you, Vermillion) without any bearing on the plot and that got on my nerves. I also really hated Syd this season. What David did to her was wrong but she's just as bad after the whole fiasco with her mom's boyfriend. Like I totally understand why David's the villain now but what she did was equally monstrous so her not showing one iota of remorse and instead constantly asserting that she's a survivor and a hero came off as bullshit to me. She's just as deluded as David.

So even though a good chunk of season 2 left a sour taste in my mouth, I still want to see the end of this story so I'm continuing with season 3. I watched the first episode on Prime and thought it was a good premiere. The time travel stuff with Switch is a fun addition to the show. I especially like how her power is depicted with the long corridor.

Your opinions are dead-on and you have earned my respect.

[Image: iamprettyloved.gif]
What the hell is this musical number in the first episode of season three....