Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noah Hawley's LEGION on FX
The television equivalent of taking LSD?
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
You're still surprised by the musical numbers in season 3?
The rest of the episode picked up and was pretty good. Still have hope for this season.

Loved this week's episode. The stuff with the time demon and baby David was super creepy. Next week looks insane.
Expected more from the finale.
Well... that must've been a hell of a finale.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I wasn't expecting the show to go out on such a hopeful note, but it worked for me. I appreciate that a series dealing with mental illness (albeit in an ultra-stylized, fantastical manner) would ultimately come back around to ideas of healing.
I quite liked the finale as well, and I found the interlude w/ Pink Floyd's MOTHER and Cary/Kerry's last scene genuinely moving.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
I wasn't expecting a happy ending for David, so that was a surprise (in a good way).
That MOTHER interlude was so well done. Loved it.

As for that ending it was unexpected and most welcome. Glad Noah and Co. got to finish the story they wanted to tell.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Wrapped this up tonight. Lots to unpack.

--So...same plot resolution as Looper...right? I mean, exact same finale, to a certain extent?

--Did not expect an upbeat ending. Will completely admit I didn't see it coming.

--Surprisingly sweet and heartfelt at times with Charles and David or Charles and ... well, almost everyone Charles interacts with.

--I never have fully bought into David's heel-turn, a moment made so surreal and imaginary-seeming in season two that it really didn't serve as much of a needle drop for me. But, as little as I have bought into David's heel-turn, I find it FAR more difficult to buy into the Shadow King's good-turn. Okay, so he learned a bit by being a parasitic demon in a little boy's head, he's still been a monster for thousands of years. Did he even let all those people whose souls he captured go? They're not really addressed. Felt really unsatisfying.

-- I wasn't the hugest fan of episodes 1 and 2, but they engaged me enough to keep watching. I loved episodes 3,4, 5, episode 6 is just absolutely a complete misfire on every level, and episodes 7 and 8 were a satisfying, if surprisingly punchless, conclusion.

--The reveal of "Legion" to Syd after she tricks David into swapping bodies was surprisingly creepy/effective.

--Did I stress enough how terrible the bizarre episode 6 fairy tale interlude is?

--The Shield "time jump" was classic. I'm a huge fan of The Shield and I was utterly confused there for a moment.

Finished the finale a few minutes ago and....it was ok. I binged it over the course of 3 days and the stuff that bothered me is:

Syd and her rape. Like they actually tried to make her the victim there. Crazy.

Where were Xavier and David's mom in present day? Like seriously what happened? He didn't think David's powers unleashed could be wildly dangerous.

We know David's life is going to be better by a mile and he has a fantastic chance of not becoming a monster BUT why is Syd's life going to be amazing? Like they said it was but isn't she still going to have the same parents? What about changing David's past changes hers? Is it because Charles's school will find her and take her in early because he has knowledge from the future? Alright but maybe add a line where he tells the survivors that he will look for that at the appropriate time. And shes going to miss out on the "second life" she had in the great beyond.

I still don't think the David turn was earned at all, handled worse the Game of Thrones honestly. And the Faruk turn is kind of silly really. I seriously would have rather he died. Also is he freeing those imprisoned people or.....? Was that king really a tyrant or...? I found it so weird the way he became not just an ally but a trusted one that was allowed to roam wherever he pleased in the secret government hideout. They guy was committing mass murder not that long ago and that was after being inside David's head for 32 years.

Will Twitch be reset as well? I mean im guessing no since she became a time god or whatever but logically she would right?

I did like that the villain's plan was actually the correct way all along. That was a nice twist although they aren't getting into the bigger question of how much better off everyone else will be. As I said above Syd's life is supposed to be better for an unknown reason but everyone else? Like I get they have to stop the end of the world but killing David would solve that too. How many people's life could be changed for the worse by altering everything? Is it worth saving all the lives David and Faruk took over the last 32 years if it effects so many others possibly? Ya know with the whole butterfly effect thing......

But even without all that bitching, yeah it was an interesting ride. I don't know who I would recommend this to but it's something.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(09-01-2019, 10:47 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Finished the finale a few minutes ago and....it was ok. I binged it over the course of 3 days and the stuff that bothered me is:

Syd and her rape. Like they actually tried to make her the victim there. Crazy.

I completely forgot how WRONG and weird their presentation of that was.  Syd just raped some guy, then ruined his life via a child-rape conviction, and it's played as though she's the victim.

Where were  Xavier and David's mom in present day? Like seriously what happened? He didn't think David's powers unleashed could be wildly dangerous.

Who knows.  There's no time for that between languorous shots of psychedelic haze.  

We know David's life is going to be better by a mile and he has a fantastic chance of not becoming a monster BUT why is Syd's life going to be amazing? Like they said it was but isn't she still going to have the same parents? What about changing David's past changes hers? Is it because Charles's school will find her and take her in early because he has knowledge from the future? Alright but maybe add a line where he tells the survivors that he will look for that at the appropriate time. And shes going to miss out on the "second life" she had in the great beyond.

I assumed it was because both Farouk and Charles had knowledge of the future and could "help," but playing with time is dangerous ... it was not a fait accompli, at all, that anyone EXCEPT David is really going to benefit from resetting the world.  Also, since time will change, the butterfly effect will result in millions, maybe billions, of people now in existence who will NEVER be born.  Don't think about this stuff too hard, I guess.

I still don't think the David turn was earned at all, handled worse the Game of Thrones honestly. And the Faruk turn is kind of silly really. I seriously would have rather he died. Also is he freeing those imprisoned people or.....? Was that king really a tyrant or...? I found it so weird the way he became not just an ally but a trusted one that was allowed to roam wherever he pleased in the secret government hideout. They guy was committing mass murder not that long ago and that was after being inside David's head for 32 years.

The entire David heel-turn and Farouk good-turn were just handled fucking abysmally in season two.  I actually wasn't even sure if what David had done "really" happened, or if Farouk influenced it, or whether it was a surreal nightmare, or what.  Season Three did the best they could with what season two left them, but I never really bought these character shifts, at all.  

Will Twitch be reset as well? I mean im guessing no since she became a time god or whatever but logically she would right?

I think she is a 4-D alien outside the timeline, so ... no?  I doubt even the writers know.  

I did like that the villain's plan was actually the correct way all along. That was a nice twist although they aren't getting into the bigger question of how much better off everyone else will be. As I said above Syd's life is supposed to be better for an unknown reason but everyone else? Like I get they have to stop the end of the world but killing David would solve that too. How many people's life could be changed for the worse by altering everything? Is it worth saving all the lives David and Faruk took over the last 32 years if it effects so many others possibly? Ya know with the whole butterfly effect thing......

David did "end the world," as the world as they know it doesn't exist anymore.  Forget "changed for the worst," lots of people just won't exist!  Best not to think about all this stuff.  **I see you spotted the "butterfly effect" problem, as well.  

But even without all that bitching, yeah it was an interesting ride. I don't know who I would recommend this to but it's something.

I would wholeheartedly recommend season one.  It's a masterpiece.  I think I might just tell folks to skip season two entirely and go to three.  A synopsis might be more effective at telling the story, and the plot actually covered in season two would only require maybe six or seven sentences to convey.  

See comments, above.

Thank you for your comments kind sir. Im just a confused watcher of Legion.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina