Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
The Democratic Party Going Forward
(Yesterday, 03:43 AM)history buff Wrote: I like Harris a lot and was sad that her campaigned collapsed. She'd be great as a VP running mate, I mean anyone is better than Tim Kaine, WTF was Hillary thinking there!

That he was a white male with both legislative and executive experience who was relatively popular in a swing state, most likely.
Harris’s one memorable moment was when she attacked Joe Biden on the debate stage. And now she’s considering selecting him for endorsement? That’s fucking rich.
Harris would be terrible for anyone and it's surprising it took so long for the shit she was doing in California to come back on her during her run. She ain't going to be anyone's pick for VP, and she's never having another run at the presidency. Everything that killed her campaign this time will just look worse as time goes on.
(Yesterday, 12:26 PM)Amos Wrote: Harris’s one memorable moment was when she attacked Joe Biden on the debate stage. And now she’s considering selecting him for endorsement? That’s fucking rich.

"Attacking" other candidates is sort of the whole premise of a debate.  In a healthy party, primaries can be run without creating permanent blood feuds between the winners and losers.

Not that I'm very excited about the prospect of a Biden/Harris ticket.
The one time Harris visibly positioned herself , it was in opposition to Biden. And she’s now considering endorsing him while there are still over a half dozen people in the race. Okay.
Amos attacking a woman...shocking! She isn't a candidate anymore so I think you can let it go.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
did Boris just imply I’m a misogynist?

That’s pretty uncalled for.
Yes. He did.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Well fuck you.

You being mad doesn’t excuse flailing around hurling random insults.
What's wrong bro?  Am I no longer welcome on the Bernie train?  Gobble gobble!
You are still welcome you’ll just be sitting by yourself, lips pursed and arms crossed.
My primary fault with Harris was always that she seemed like an opportunist. Obviously, most politicians are to some degree, but for her it felt like her primary characteristic. It explained her startlingly poor record as part of the criminal justice system, and why she could never gain traction in the primary race: she doesn't stand for anything. That can work fine as a Senator from a state that already knows what it wants, but it's a tougher sell at a national level.

So for me, Harris endorsing Biden in trade for a position like VP makes perfect sense.

It's also a nightmare scenario, since breaking Biden's stranglehold on the black vote is the only way anyone else is going to win the nomination.
Gamertag: Tweakee
My primary fault with Harris is that she's a cop.

Re: Biden's stranglehold on the black vote, I'm not so sure that firewall is as ironclad as people think.

You might have heard about Dahli Myers, a black councilwoman in SC who had endorsed Biden but then publicly switched to Bernie a couple days ago.

[Image: 5cae6e4c3598c.image.jpg]

She told AP:

Quote:‘He’s right,’” said Myers, a black woman first elected to the Richland County Council in 2016. “He’s unafraid and he’s unapologetic. ... I like the fact that he is willing to fight for a better America — for the least, the fallen, the left behind.”

“It was a compromise choice,” she said. “I didn’t find anybody’s candidacy electrifying, but I did find Joe Biden’s candidacy to be reassuring in a sort of normal, American kind of way.”

“I’m a 50-year-old-black woman, and I tend to be middle of the road,” Myers said. “I’m voting what I think is best for all of us, not just me. ... I’m not a left-wing liberal. I’m not even a left-wing Democrat. But I am a realist.”
She was a corporate lawyer for 20 years. It's nice to see Sanders supporters shedding those purity tests. Baby steps!
Not so much tooth!
(Yesterday, 01:15 PM)farsight Wrote: It's also a nightmare scenario, since breaking Biden's stranglehold on the black vote is the only way anyone else is going to win the nomination.

I'm not sure Harris has all that much sway on the "black vote" (and I get what we're saying but I'm not super comfortable treating it as if it's a hive mind).
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Quote:She was a corporate lawyer for 20 years. It's nice to see Sanders supporters shedding those purity tests. Baby steps!

It's not like she's running for President. Don't get things confused.
(Yesterday, 02:03 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I'm not sure Harris has all that much sway on the "black vote" (and I get what we're saying but I'm not super comfortable treating it as if it's a hive mind).

She doesn't need to have that much sway when we'd need to see major movement in the opposite direction for Biden to be in trouble.

And Biden's not every black voter's choice of course; but he's polling -very- far ahead (+28%) in that demographic to the point where many states will be locks for him if it holds up.
Gamertag: Tweakee
I'm told no one actually "wins" primary races, though.
(Yesterday, 04:35 PM)Amos Wrote: I'm told no one actually "wins" primary races, though.

Which is something I am sure you will wholeheartedly espouse in a couple weeks when Biden outperforms Bernie in Iowa (aided, it should be noted, by how the impeachment trial has given he and Pete the state to themselves in the crucial home stretch).
If Bernie loses Iowa to Biden I will kindly shut the fuck up.

That's a promise.
My point was sort of the opposite. Iowa should not be considered the be all or end all of anything, for a variety of reasons (demographic homogeniety, small size, and the impeachment trial fucking with several of the campaigns closing stretches chief among them)
Since her announcement she's changing her endorsement from Biden to Bernie, Dahli Myers has apparently seen a fair amount of online harrassment from ...Biden Bros? Warren Women?

https://twitter.com/MyersDalhi/status/12...64453?s=20
The examples she posted are hardly harrassment.

https://twitter.com/TheGhariber/status/1...0042962950
Not so much tooth!
At a glance I see people calling her a turncoat, a cult member, and a sexist.

I don't know what you're talking about.
The fact that Bernie is getting flak about the Rogen endorsement by Bernie supporters is about the most predictable thing EVER.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
[Image: re6v2at3wpc41.png]
An endorsement to be proud of!

https://twitter.com/gryking/status/1220762029520314368
Not so much tooth!
The correct take:

[Image: p9xmtj33nqc41.png?width=960&crop=smart&a...1312a4bfd8]

Also - By Joe's own admission he turned down requests from Biden, Buttigieg, and Warren to appear on the show. Why solicit his platform if he's so odious? Oh because the outrage is in bad faith, that's why. This is a coveted endorsement, make no mistake.
Can you imagine Biden going on the Joe Rogan Experience?

Anyway, Amos is right. Rogan is so often a mouthpiece for some truly despicable folks and he sucks an insane amount of shit and in any other election year we could continue to ignore him, but because we live in the worst possible reality, his endorsement really is a huge deal.
Quote:Nationally, Sanders is at his highest point since his post-announcement bump. Our CNN poll has him at 27% earlier this week. Most other polls don't have him nearly as high, though he seems to have crossed the 20% barrier. That's big news because it puts a hole in the theory that Sanders couldn't grow his support from the mid-teens he's generally had.

Sanders is now the clear alternative to former Vice President Joe Biden in the national polls. Biden, who is still holding in the upper 20s, has seen his margin over Sanders shrink. Other Democrats such as Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg are stuck at 15% or below.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/24/politics/...index.html