Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Obama's LAST State of the Union Address

Streaming on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WweX6_cAV5Q

Hate to be shallow but Damn Michelle looks good.

A great start: Laying out objectives that haven't made the radar of the 2016 Election but are important and need to be addressed.

'Come on, I can't be the only person watching this.

AI am. I am.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

'Come on, I can't be the only person watching this.

I'm here. I hope he drops the mic.

Looks like he is.

I love that he makes a really serious dig at Congress in the form of a joke (the line about the only people who can enjoy a job for 30 years and get a great pension are in the room with him!)

Hahah so Climate Change Deniers are basically a bunch of pussies.

His two terms haven't been perfect, but Obama's probably better than we have deserved the last eight years especially compared to some of the people running now. How so many people on the Right can so blindly hate this man over nothing is beyond me. Then again, I'll never understand how people vote against their own self interests. This State of the Union seems so far like a big fuck you to the people who claim the Obama administration has been a failure.

Inevitable response:  "Why didn't he mention the Christians who are persecuted for following their faith?!?!"

Ahttp://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/56959920e4b086bc1cd5d222

This is kinda hilarious. Dude's already bitching about the speech before Obama even started it.

Like I said on Twitter, I wish he would have mentioned Black Lives Matter, all the cop shootings or domestic terrorism. I found the speech OK. For me, not his best, but a nice speech to go out on when speaking to Congress.

Ok, he just totally dropped a not so subtle nod to Friday Night Lights at the end there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbrother View Post

His two terms haven't been perfect, but Obama's probably better than we have deserved the last eight years especially compared to some of the people running now. How so many people on the Right can so blindly hate this man over nothing is beyond me. Then again, I'll never understand how people vote against their own self interests. This State of the Union seems so far like a big fuck you to the people who claim the Obama administration has been a failure.

Yup.  Shit man, I've talked to people who straight  up believe that Obama is some devil (Im paraphrasing here)prophicized 200 years ago that will lead to the destruction of America.

Of course, that didn't happen. But the truth never seems to manage with those kinds of people anyways.

Very interesting that both Obama and the GOP First Responder Niki Haley went after Trump without naming him.

Watch for the Drive By Right Wing Media to talk about The Establishment ganging up on Trump.

ABeat me to it. The only thing that's bipartisan in Washington seems to be throwing shade at Trump.

I figured Trump supporters would hate Nikki Haley's speech (the establishment was clearly going after him), but I didn't think the racism would pour in seconds after it was over.  I stopped paying attention to Ann Coulter years ago, but she seemed to be the first:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/liberals...aley-tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

Yup.  Shit man, I've talked to people who straight  up believe that Obama is some devil (Im paraphrasing here)prophicized 200 years ago that will lead to the destruction of America.

Of course, that didn't happen. But the truth never seems to manage with those kinds of people anyways.

He's simultaneously a total incompetent blindly leading America to its doom and a monstrous Manchurian Candidate demon supervillain doing all of this as part of The Plot To Destroy America.  The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

And given the new "moonshot" to cure cancer, I look forward to the new hot topic on the campaign trail being "OBUMMER TAKES AWAY OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO HAVE CANCER".

AI think Jon Stewart said it best "So let me get this straight, Obama is a weak Mom Jeans wearing TYRANT KING!"

I think whoever wins the presidency is going to have a damn easy time because anything that goes wrong on their watch will be Obama's fault somehow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Pants View Post

I think whoever wins the presidency is going to have a damn easy time because anything that goes wrong on their watch will be Obama's fault somehow.

After eight years of hearing that everything is Bush's fault, it will be a welcome change.

AHaley deserves to get dumped on for that speech, not her heritage. She might as well have come out and called the Black Lives Matter protesters wild animals. "We didn't have riots, we had hugs"? Yeah, you can't fuck off fast enough.
AAnd then there was Cruz, who seems to think he's running against Obama again, and who thinks if the State of the Union doesn't scare the shit out of you, something is wrong.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Haley deserves to get dumped on for that speech, not her heritage. She might as well have come out and called the Black Lives Matter protesters wild animals. "We didn't have riots, we had hugs"? Yeah, you can't fuck off fast enough.

​It's not saying much, but I thought Haley's speech was probably the best of all the GOP responses in the Obama era.  Jindal likely had the worst, but Rubio got the most flack (and I think the GOP would like to forget Bob McDonnell, in general).  Haley really only needed to not embarrass herself, and I had thought she had avoided doing so.  Then again, I'm not a Republican and it seems like the base wasn't thrilled with here "Republicans make mistakes too" talk and she confirmed this morning that Trump was one of the people she was talking about regarding irresponsible comments.  I'm starting to suspect that right-wing radio might be having more of a meltdown over her speech than the President's this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmordo View Post

After eight years of hearing that everything is Bush's fault, it will be a welcome change.

While not all current problems in the country were due to the the GW Bush admin, they certainly didn't make things better....except for maybe the 1% in this country who already had more money than they knew what to do with.

Any criticism of the Bush admin and it's policies/accomplishments are well deserved as it comes after the fact.  This in contrast to the Obama admin where the criticism was often about things that he didn't do/hadn't yet done.

Remember, the GOP said, BEFORE Obama was elected, that they would do anything and everything to obstruct any policies he put forward.

When the republicans can be honest and stand up admit the faults and fuckups of the GW Bush admin......only then can they be taken seriously with any criticism leveled at the Obama admin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

When the republicans can be honest and stand up admit the faults and fuckups of the GW Bush admin......only then can they be taken seriously with any criticism leveled at the Obama admin.

Actually the Right has been pretty open about hating on GWB for his out of control spending, especially on prescription drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Actually the Right has been pretty open about hating on GWB for his out of control spending, especially on prescription drugs.

They are only doing so now because they don't want to alienate their conservative voting base.....gotta get re-elected, ya know.

The GOP certainly likes to bitch about the US deficit when a Democrat is president....but when a Republican is in the white house; fuck it....max the credit cards.

I would love to see some high profile GOP members of congress stand up and say, in forceful words, that the invasion/occupation of Iraq was one of the biggest political/military fuckups in US history.  I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Quote:

I would love to see some high profile GOP members of congress stand up and say, in forceful words, that the invasion/occupation of Iraq was one of the biggest political/military fuckups in US history.  I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Yep. Just like I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the Democrats to call out Obama and his slimy former AG for "Too Big to Fail." I found it equal parts hilarious and infuriating that the POTUS thought to remind us of Wall Street's recklessness last night.

Here's someone else who was none too happy:

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/13/obamas_h...he_hungry/

If it makes any difference, I consider myself a democrat and I am more than a little pissed that Obama didn't go after the Wall Street banks/ers that were at the root of the financial problem.

Hell, I really hate that Bill Clinton was the one that signed the legislation that repealed the Glass/Steagall act....which was ultimately at the core of the banking crisis.

Regarding the Dems and their disagreements with Pres. Obama and his policies... I don't think there will be a problem with them be vocal about it.

On the other hand, the current incarnation of the GOP/Republicans are mostly of one mindset : "Government Bad!"

And before anyone chimes in with the tired meme of "both sides are equally bad"....I call bullshit.

That is a false equivalency talking point put forward by conservative media in an attempt to distance themselves from their own reprehensible policies.

Quote:

That is a false equivalency talking point put forward by conservative media in an attempt to distance themselves from their own reprehensible policies.

Got a source for that whopper?

Quote:

Are you speaking about the GOP's reprehensible policies....because that will take awhile to compile a list....

Regarding the 'source' of the  'false equivalency' meme....reading/watching the media over the last 20 odd years and observing that when conservatives/republicans are confronted with facts, they end up trying to point their fingers and claim that Dems/progressives are just as bad.

And yet, when pressed to offer up evidence to prove their assertions, they almost always fail.

The GOP has almost continually pointed a finger at Obama since he was elected (and before) and said he can't 'lead the country properly' but they never bother to mention that the GOP controlled Congress won't even bring legislation to the floor to be voted on.....but it's "Obama's fault" legislation doesn't get passed?....fuck you.

FWIW- This is a comment/response from another forum I frequent where the discussion was about the very recent incident where Iran detained a bunch of sailors..

:
Initial comment- "i knew some people would immediately use this as an excuse, no matter the cause or outcome, to fault obama

the response to the above- "Obama has enough fuck ups on his plate."

When I asked if said poster could post some examples of other Obama 'fuck ups'.....>dead air<

more regarding false equivalency...

Obama from 2014

Quote:

“You’ll hear if you watch the nightly news or you read the newspapers that, well, there’s gridlock, Congress is broken, approval ratings for Congress are terrible.  And there’s a tendency to say, a plague on both your houses.  But the truth of the matter is that the problem in Congress is very specific.  We have a group of folks in the Republican Party who have taken over who are so ideologically rigid, who are so committed to an economic theory that says if folks at the top do very well then everybody else is somehow going to do well; who deny the science of climate change; who don’t think making investments in early childhood education makes sense; who have repeatedly blocked raising a minimum wage so if you work full-time in this country you’re not living in poverty; who scoff at the notion that we might have a problem with women not getting paid for doing the same work that men are doing.

“They, so far, at least, have refused to budge on bipartisan legislation to fix our immigration system, despite the fact that every economist who’s looked at it says it’s going to improve our economy, cut our deficits, help spawn entrepreneurship, and alleviate great pain from millions of families all across the country.

“So the problem…is not that the Democrats are overly ideological — because the truth of the matter is, is that the Democrats in Congress have consistently been willing to compromise and reach out to the other side.  There are no radical proposals coming out from the left.  When we talk about climate change, we talk about how do we incentivize through the market greater investment in clean energy.  When we talk about immigration reform there’s no wild-eyed romanticism.  We say we’re going to be tough on the borders, but let’s also make sure that the system works to allow families to stay together…

“When we talk about taxes we don’t say we’re going to have rates in the 70 percent or 90 percent when it comes to income like existed here 50, 60 years ago.  We say let’s just make sure that those of us who have been incredibly blessed by this country are giving back to kids so that they’re getting a good start in life, so that they get early childhood education…Health care — we didn’t suddenly impose some wild, crazy system.  All we said was let’s make sure everybody has insurance. And this made the other side go nuts — the simple idea that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, nobody should go bankrupt because somebody in their family gets sick, working within a private system.

“So when you hear a false equivalence that somehow, well, Congress is just broken, it’s not true.  What’s broken right now is a Republican Party that repeatedly says no to proven, time-tested strategies to grow the economy, create more jobs, ensure fairness, open up opportunity to all people.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plu...ame-media/

Quote:

Source: Eyes/Ears, a willingness to use them

Quote:

They are only doing so now because they don't want to alienate their conservative voting base.....gotta get re-elected, ya know.

The GOP certainly likes to bitch about the US deficit when a Democrat is president....but when a Republican is in the white house; fuck it....max the credit cards.

This is just not true. I've been reading interviews with Right wing "leaders" and regular folk since 2008 wherein they say explicitly that they feel betrayed by GWB, that he was a fake Conservative, that Iraq was a horrible mistake, etc.

I'm guessing you don't actually read, watch or listen to what people who disagree with you actually think, unless it's some dumbshit ridiculous thing highlihgted by Rachel Maddow.

Quote:

When I asked if said poster could post some examples of other Obama 'fuck ups'.....>dead air<

That's interesting. I just gave you a perfect example of an Obama fuck-up (and the Wall Street cowardice was a major fuck-up) and rather than addressing the article I linked to you've successfully deflected this into a nowhere argument about false equivalency re: Republicans & Democrats.

I've seen this quite often in your posts when someone comes out with anything the slightest bit critical of the current administration. Your response is some seemingly half-hearted "Well, I'm upset too but ..." and then you immediately segue into yet another condemnation of the GOP and Fox News. It's really getting quite tired, and I have no trouble understanding why people fail to engage you on other forums.

I, personally, just want a president to just read this song off for their State of the Union and leave it at that: