Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Obama's LAST State of the Union Address
AOne thing I found interesting were Obama's comments about many Republicans in Congress who want to work with the president except for the fact that their constituents would freak out and he'd lose his job.

There's a lot of truth to this I think.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamotv View Post

except for the fact that their constituents would freak out

AKA Trump voters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malmordo View Post

That's interesting. I just gave you a perfect example of an Obama fuck-up (and the Wall Street cowardice was a major fuck-up) and rather than addressing the article I linked to you've successfully deflected this into a nowhere argument about false equivalency re: Republicans & Democrats.

I've seen this quite often in your posts when someone comes out with anything the slightest bit critical of the current administration. Your response is some seemingly half-hearted "Well, I'm upset too but ..." and then you immediately segue into yet another condemnation of the GOP and Fox News. It's really getting quite tired, and I have no trouble understanding why people fail to engage you on other forums.

Deflected?  Hell, I agreed with the article. You mistake my lack of comments about it as being dismissive of it.

That being said, as much as I would like a simplistic answer to the Wall Street debacle, I'm pragmatic when it comes to dealing with the problem and any solutions.

If Obama had the DOJ arrest the heads of all the major banks and put them on trial and if by doing so, the economy/markets had crashed even farther down...?  While putting the responsible people at the top in jail would have been the right thing to do....it may not have been the smart thing to do given the situation.

The TARP bailout, lack of prosecutions,  et al may not have been the best response to the situation but neither would have letting the banks 'crash'. It was, like much of politics, a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation.

Finally, what really 'tires' me is the complete disregard of facts when it comes to those that are venomously critical of the Obama admin.

I've found that most of the more rabid Obama haters base their dislike of him on complete and utter misrepresentations of his actions/policies....and this is due in large part by media like Breitbart, AlexJones and FoxNews playing at being journalists....when they are nothing of the sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamotv View Post

One thing I found interesting were Obama's comments about many Republicans in Congress who want to work with the president except for the fact that their constituents would freak out and he'd lose his job.

There's a lot of truth to this I think.

It's why the "Obama's not enough of a schmoozer!" talking point is so off base. As long as Republican voters punish anyone in their party who works with Obama on anything, all the nice words in the world don't mean jack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post

It's why the "Obama's not enough of a schmoozer!" talking point is so off base. As long as Republican voters punish anyone in their party who works with Obama on anything, all the nice words in the world don't mean jack.

And....who the fuck would want to 'schmooze'  with the likes of Mitch McConnell, Michelle Bachmann, Louis Gohmert, et al.

Maybe if there were some more 'old school' republican politicians like Boehner it'd be worth it.

AIf anyone here can present what they think would have been a viable alternative to the administration's financial rescues, I would love to hear it. "Bailout" has morphed into a terribly misleading term; it is far more accurate to call it "loans". Loans that have at this point been fully paid back with added interest (yes, the government actually made money).

Yes, the financial sector behaved in reprehensible ways, and they were aided by Washington politicians at the behest of lobbyists. Nearly every mainstream economist agrees that refusing to extend a lifeline would have made a bad situation unimaginably worse, particularly for the middle class. Retirement savings and the securities that control the value of mortgages and homes would have been endangered.

If you want to criticize the administration for not doing enough to rein in risky behaviors following the rescues, fair enough, but the necessity of the initial loans is almost beyond dispute at this point.
Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

I've found that most of the more rabid Obama haters base their dislike of him on complete and utter misrepresentations of his actions/policies....and this is due in large part by media like Breitbart, AlexJones and FoxNews playing at being journalists....when they are nothing of the sort.

I voted for Obama twice and contributed to both his Presidential campaigns. But his total neglect of Wall Street beyond rhetoric is a black mark on his record. Having some of these bastards to the Perp Walk would have bolstered confidence in the markets...people would have had some small reassurance that there is still a justice system in this country.

Instead not one of those bankers had a day in court, meanwhile black teens (and old people) get shot down in the street by the cops. It's not hard to draw conclusions from that.  And doing so doesn't make one a WingNut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

I voted for Obama twice and contributed to both his Presidential campaigns. But his total neglect of Wall Street beyond rhetoric is a black mark on his record. Having some of these bastards to the Perp Walk would have bolstered confidence in the markets...people would have had some small reassurance that there is still a justice system in this country.

Yeah, this is also my feeling about it. Holder used the excuse that any prosecutions would have "market-altering consequences," but that always smelled like bullshit and it's since been called out as such:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/new...708?page=4

The final slap in the face was Holder getting his old job back with the white collar defense firm Covington & Burling, which pretty much confirmed that this guy had been sleeping with the enemy.

And so when Obama gets sanctimonious about Wall Street I just shake my head and think of his bromance with the former AG. What a hypocrite.