Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Predator (pre-release)
Predator 2 is the 80s action film distilled to it's core. The greatest McBain film ever made.

(09-14-2018, 01:09 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Predator 2 is the 80s action film distilled to it's core. The greatest McBain film ever made.

MENDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
My ideal King Willie prequel would have involved a power struggle between himself and MARKED FOR DEATH'S Screwface for control of the Jamaican Voodoo Posse. I think I still have some crude storyboards I did of their climactic swordfight. I'll have to look in the attic.
(09-14-2018, 12:54 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Maybe it should've never been a series?

Pretty much.

But then again, it shouldn't even be that hard to make a solid Predator film. Right?
(09-14-2018, 01:09 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Predator 2 is the 80s action film distilled to it's core.

For me it plays more like an extreme parody, intentional or no.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear

It suffers from Jurassic Park syndrome, where the setting is key and the experience can't be duplicated without returning to the well with diminishing returns.

Which is partially why I like 2, in that it took it from the real jungle to the urban one and showed how oddly it would play out. Once that was done, you're pretty much out of interesting backgrounds to tell the story against.

I also appear to be the only one around here who enjoyed this, despite the original being in my Top-5-Movies-I've-Seen-the-Most list.
(09-14-2018, 01:28 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 01:09 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Predator 2 is the 80s action film distilled to it's core.

For me it plays more like an extreme parody, intentional or no.

For me, it plays like an 80s action film as done by someone who HATES 80s action films in every way, shape, and form.  It's just vile, loud, mean spirited, and tedious, and there isn't a single likable character to root for.  I wanted the Predator to kill every single one of the heroes and get away.

Fuck I hate that movie.

(09-14-2018, 01:53 PM)shaunh Wrote:

Which is partially why I like 2, in that it took it from the real jungle to the urban one and showed how oddly it would play out. Once that was done, you're pretty much out of interesting backgrounds to tell the story against.

There was a comic series where a predator ship crash landed in Siberia that was interesting.  If memory serves, you at least had the preds having to contend with the cold weather in an interesting way.  Of course, all of that 'predators like hot weather' stuff was jettisoned for AVP.
(09-14-2018, 08:01 AM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Is it supposed to be like a ruling class Predator? Or just a bigger version of the 'cleaner' from AvP:R?

It's literally the cleaner from that movie, but WAAAAAAY less cool.

(09-14-2018, 01:53 PM)shaunh Wrote:

It suffers from Jurassic Park syndrome, where the setting is key and the experience can't be duplicated without returning to the well with diminishing returns.

I also appear to be the only one around here who enjoyed this, despite the original being in my Top-5-Movies-I've-Seen-the-Most list.

The Rock. A War in the middle East. Introduce the Predator. Make it a hellish nightmare movie like that game Spec Ops the Line, which was a middle Eastern version of Apocolypse Now.

That's your setting for Predator 3 and then you're all done.
The Predator series set in Siberia is called Predator: Cold War, which is badass, and it's starring Dutch's brother as a former NYC detective. It's a direct sequel to the original Dark Horse Predator series that also starred the brother. The original series came out before Predator 2 hit theaters but also deals with the creature bringing the hunt to the city.

Dark Horse put out some great Predator and Alien books back in the late 80s/early 90s.
A Predator in winter doesn't sound all that appealing.
(09-14-2018, 03:20 PM)rodofwar Wrote: The Predator series set in Siberia is called Predator: Cold War, which is badass, and it's starring Dutch's brother as a former NYC detective. It's a direct sequel to the original Dark Horse Predator series that also starred the brother. The original series came out before Predator 2 hit theaters but also deals with the creature bringing the hunt to the city.

Dark Horse put out some great Predator and Alien books back in the late 80s/early 90s.

That was the one.  I remember it being pretty great.
Did I talk everyone out of probably seeing this?

Do I have the touch?

Do I have the power?

Yeah?
Not much. I am seeing this in a few hours.

Bradito, can you open the Post Release thread?
I can't take on such an awesome responsibility. Besides, it'll just be you and me and this movie.
Overall this was a pretty fun entertaining action movie. Given at times this feels like the fan ride a feature version of the Capcom's AVP games could be, it seems like a shame this was dropped:

[Image: SkSVFuj.jpg]

Would be interested to see a version of this that added that stuff back in.

Disappointed the movie did nothing with the schools Halloween Haunt despite teasing it a couple times and having a scene that takes place there. I was kind of expecting something like the ending to The Guest, but instead there was nothing.
(09-14-2018, 07:30 PM)bradito Wrote: Had no Did I talk everyone out of probably seeing this?

Do I have the touch?

Do I have the power?

Yeah?

You got me to rewatch Predator tonight and just go to a cheap matinee of this tomorrow, so I say you have a bit of touch/power (maybe watching Michael Bay make HotRod french diminished your energy).

Still, damn the original is still a fucking perfect action film.

Watching the making of now...seeing Carl Weathers without a moustache just made me question everything i believe in.
I had no idea Chaves served in Nam.
Also, fuckn hell, McTiernan directing with a near broken wrist, Arnold psyching Ventura, Sonny cracking laughs and so on. 
The camaderie onscreen and offscreen on this film is kne of the reason it works so damn well.

(09-14-2018, 03:20 PM)rodofwar Wrote: The Predator series set in Siberia is called Predator: Cold War, which is badass, and it's starring Dutch's brother as a former NYC detective. It's a direct sequel to the original Dark Horse Predator series that also starred the brother. The original series came out before Predator 2 hit theaters but also deals with the creature bringing the hunt to the city.

The one set on Siberia abd the city one are great; the third one that is set on the same jungle as the movie is pretty damn bad.
And again, just hire anime studio Madhouse (Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll, Black Lagoon, One Punch Man) and make a DTV  version of this:

Id buy that for plenty if dollars.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
'The Predator' Has a Bonkers Ending, But It Was Originally Significantly Different http://bit.ly/2NMMUae
Thank God he stayed away from this load.