Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

EDIT: Anyone worried they might have Indy come across his long lost daughter, just to piss off the Tomb Raider people?

Michael B. Jordan is WILLIE SCOTT.

But seriously, they should bring back John Rhys-Davies.

I dig Sallah but I kind of hope they don't "bring back" anyone this time. I want a one-shot Indiana Jones adventure with an all-new supporting cast.

With Indy married, my preferred variation on the Indy Girl for the final installment is a young apprentice he gets saddled with during the adventure who has an unrequited infatuation with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avian View Post

But seriously, they should bring back John Rhys-Davies.

And in a real part.  They insulted him on CRYSTAL SKULL by offering him a green-screen cameo (serious!) at the wedding in which he's seen applauding in the background.  Rhys-Davies was someone who had been expressioning an interest in participating in Indy4 for like the whole decade leading up to it, but I cannot blame him for turning that horseshit down.

Adam Driver needs to play a minor role in this as a henchman who Indy impales on a spike with a knowing smile.

A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion#post_4031645"]I can't believe this is happening to all of us. It's like a global trauma. Our childhoods are collectively being rounded up and shot in the face.[/quote]
All we can do now is hunker down and pray that the industry finally implodes.
AI can do without Sallah. Let's really make this its own adventure with a new set of characters like the Bond films do. Sallah served a purpose in the first film and was nothing but dead weight in THE LAST CRUSADE.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

With Indy married, my preferred variation on the Indy Girl for the final installment is a young apprentice he gets saddled with during the adventure who has an unrequited infatuation with him.

And in a real part.  They insulted him on CRYSTAL SKULL by offering him a green-screen cameo (serious!) at the wedding in which he's seen applauding in the background.  Rhys-Davies was someone who had been expressioning an interest in participating in Indy4 for like the whole decade leading up to it, but I cannot blame him for turning that horseshit down.

Bring him in, and pair Indy with Sallah's son or daughter, played by a middle-eastern/arabic actor/actresss

What if the film is great? What if it's the ROCKY BALBOA or CREED of the franchise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

I can do without Sallah. Let's really make this its own adventure with a new set of characters like the Bond films do. Sallah served a purpose in the first film and was nothing but dead weight in THE LAST CRUSADE.

He's the audience for the "named himself after the dog" joke at the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post

What if the film is great?

What if destiny was never meant to be?

Damn you for making me type/remember that.

Quote:

I can do without Sallah. Let's really make this its own adventure with a new set of characters like the Bond films do. Sallah served a purpose in the first film and was nothing but dead weight in THE LAST CRUSADE.

Hey, Sallah's defective camel math utterly justified his LAST CRUSADE appearance.

You're probably right though.  The issue with Sallah is that he really only makes sense if Indy's adventures take him back to the desert, and do we really need a third movie in a similar location?  It would feel weird if Sallah was alongside Indy as he goes exploring a Himalayan mountain temple or whatever.  I'm for fresh sidekicks all around.

Quote:

What if the film is great? What if it's the ROCKY BALBOA or CREED of the franchise?

Well this is the 5th INDY film so it's more likely it'll be on par with... oh dear.

I really hope they go into this with the attitude of a last hurrah to set up whoever gets the young Indy gig.  Much of Ford's engagement in TFA had to come from knowing it was the last time he'd play Han; he knew he was free, and it showed.  Make a fitting apology for Crystal Skull, go out on a high, and let the new people take over.

AI'm wondering how the Paramount deal came through. LucasFilm signed a contract with Paramount for a five picture deal and had one left, unless it expired or Disney bought it and that's partly why it took so long to get this going after having bought LucasFilm four years ago.

So, what will the Paramount logo dissolve to in this one? A volcano, just before it explodes? A shark's fin poking above the water as the Jaws theme plays? The actual Paramount logo on the Paramount Studios lot in Hollywood?

AMaybe just another mountain top.
ASallah has to come back.

I have to see just how Disney, it's it's attempt to not alienate a single demographic on the planet, hope to portray a fat, bumbling Arab who can't count.
Quote:

I'm wondering how the Paramount deal came through. LucasFilm signed a contract with Paramount for a five picture deal and had one left, unless it expired or Disney bought it and that's partly why it took so long to get this going after having bought LucasFilm four years ago.

Disney sent in Darth Vader to alter the deal. Pray that he does not alter it any further!

A[quote name="Stale Elvis" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/50#post_4031699"]Sallah has to come back.

I have to see just how Disney, it's it's attempt to not alienate a single demographic on the planet, hope to portray a fat, bumbling Arab who can't count.[/quote]

Unless they think "maybe we should give Sallah his dignity back" and we get the Sallah we first met in RAIDERS.

It'll be kind of weird if Lucas isn't involved. They've always made such a big deal of it being a three man show between him, Spielberg and Ford, with them all needing to agree on scripts and so on. And Spielberg made such a big deal about how deferential he was to Lucas on the last movie (probably partly to distance himself from it, but still).

I always found it funny how Lucas used to make such a big deal about how hard it was to come up with macguffins for this series. How hard can it be!? Just pick some culture or location that would've seemed incredibly exotic and exciting in the 30's, choose some interesting relic from their mythology, pit Indy against an opponent who really wants it, throw in a few supernatural elements and bob's your uncle!

Some kind of partial Fate Of Atlantis adaptation would be a perfectly logical way to go, but I'll be contrary and say I wouldn't mind them taking inspiration from a lesser (though surprisingly fun) Indy game The Emperor's Tomb and have him mixed up in far eastern mythology just to be a bit different.

Quote:

I'm wondering how the Paramount deal came through. LucasFilm signed a contract with Paramount for a five picture deal and had one left, unless it expired or Disney bought it and that's partly why it took so long to get this going after having bought LucasFilm four years ago.

Disney actually sorted out the distribution issue with Paramount about a year after the Lucasfilm purchase, and today's announcement felt inevitable ever since.  My understanding is that they essentially paid Paramount a whole bunch of money while allowing Paramount to continue to participate some way in the revenue of future Indy installments.  Expect the Paramount mountain running gag to continue.

Quote:

So, what will the Paramount logo dissolve to in this one? A volcano, just before it explodes? A shark's fin poking above the water with the Jaws theme playing? The actual Paramount logo on the studio lot in Hollywood?

I can't remember where I read this (here, maybe), but someone pointed out since it's the Disney logo now, it'll just be a magic castle dissolving into a magic castle.

Sign me up. Crystal Skull, for all its many faults, was the start of Harrison Ford waking up onscreen again. And any new Spielberg is good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post

It'll be kind of weird if Lucas isn't involved. They've always made such a big deal of it being a three man show between him, Spielberg and Ford, with them all needing to agree on scripts and so on. And Spielberg made such a big deal about how deferential he was to Lucas on the last movie (probably partly to distance himself from it, but still).

I always found it funny how Lucas used to make such a big deal about how hard it was to come up with macguffins for this series. How hard can it be!? Just pick some culture or location that would've seemed incredibly exotic and exciting in the 30's, choose some interesting relic from their mythology, pit Indy against an opponent who really wants it, throw in a few supernatural elements and bob's your uncle!

Some kind of partial Fate Of Atlantis adaptation would be a perfectly logical way to go, but I'll be contrary and say I wouldn't mind them taking inspiration from a lesser (though surprisingly fun) Indy game The Emperor's Tomb and have him mixed up in far eastern mythology just to be a bit different.

too late:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misfit View Post

I can't remember where I read this (here, maybe), but someone pointed out since it's the Disney logo now, it'll just be a magic castle dissolving into a magic castle.

IMDB says Paramount is still involved, but I dig the Disney logo thing. I seem to remember one of the Indy sequels that never was involved a haunted castle or something.

AI am 1000% in favor of another Indy. Because I truly believe the only outcome is either a rousing and appropriate finish to Ford's franchise, or being no worse off than it is now. KOTCS is not the note Indy deserves to go out on.

Do any of you folks honestly believe we could get something WORSE than Mutt/Fridge/Monkeys/Marion/CGI Alien?

Maybe they should just go crazy and adapt "iron Phoenix", which has post war runaway Nazis trying to use the Philosopher's Stone to RESURRECT HITLER!

EDIT: Also, another insane idea: Have Spielberg team up with Jackson and del Toro.

Seriously, working with a younger director worked wonders in Tintin in bringing back Spielberg's style and feel for adventure cinema.

And for Del Toro, it could be a Hellboy III consolation prize.

It probably wouldn't have a Disney logo on it - Force Awakens didn't. I get the impression Disney are interested in preserving 'Lucasfilm' as a seperate brand like they do with Marvel.

Not sure what they'll do about the old Paramount logo gags, maybe they'll just ditch them entirely?

AI still don't agree with CRYSTAL SKULL being the abomination folks online keep harping.
Quote:

I still don't agree with CRYSTAL SKULL being the abomination folks online keep harping.

I think its a somewhat fun but EXTREMELY flawed film that does little justice to its main character, despite the effort of all involved.

If it had no connection to Indiana Jones, it would be a fun, mindless adventure film, but as part of Indy's legacy, its severely lacking.

Quote:

I still don't agree with CRYSTAL SKULL being the abomination folks online keep harping.

You shoot guys in the dick , dont you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

Maybe they should just go crazy and adapt "iron Phoenix", which has post war runaway Nazis trying to use the Philosopher's Stone to RESURRECT HITLER!

Fun fact: Iron Phoenix was intended to be a graphic adventure game (the proper follow-up to Fate of Atlantis), but because the plot fundamentally involved Nazis, LucasArts realized they wouldn't be able to sell the game in Germany, where laws about Nazi imagery on toys (which video games were classified as) are notoriously strict.  The nature of the game's plot made it so they couldn't just scrub the swastikas, and it was decided the whole venture was a non-starter from a marketing perspective.  Because Germany is an important market for graphic adventure games - to the point where some titles don't break even without it the sales there - LucasArts cut their losses and cancelled the whole project.

I'm not sure how accurate the comic adaptation is to the story of the cancelled game.  The Fate of Atlantis comic adaptation is pretty loose.  Coincidentally, a former LucasArts engineer is in the process of making old LucasArts design documents available online, and it seems Iron Phoenix may be one of them.  Maybe we'll get to learn more soon?

Also, though the game got axed, there's a test animation of zombie Hitler's face blowing up somewhere on the interwebs.

A[quote name="ryoken" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/50#post_4031716"]

I think its a somewhat fun but EXTREMELY flawed film that does little justice to its main character, despite the effort of all involved.
If it had no connection to Indiana Jones, it would be a fun, mindless adventure film, but as part of Indy's legacy, its severely lacking.
[/quote]

That's the thing, I don't think there's much of a legacy beyond the excellent RAIDERS, though I do enjoy TEMPLE OF DOOM for its zaniness and it's the Indy film I grew up with. CRYSTAL SKULL is average at worst for me. Good moments, duds, whatevs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Fun fact: Iron Phoenix was intended to be a graphic adventure game (the proper follow-up to Fate of Atlantis), but because the plot fundamentally involved Nazis, LucasArts realized they wouldn't be able to sell the game in Germany, where laws about Nazis imagery on toys (which video games were classified as) were strict enough to make the whole venture a non-starter.  Because Germany is an important market for graphic adventure games - to the point where some titles don't break even without it the sales there - LucasArts cut their losses and cancelled the whole project.

I'm not sure how accurate the comic adaptation is to the story of the cancelled game.  The Fate of Atlantis comic adaptation is pretty loose.  Coincidentally, a former LucasArts engineer is in the process of making old LucasArts design documents available online, and it seems Iron Phoenix may be one of them.  Maybe we'll get to learn more soon?

Also, though the game got axed, there's a test animation of zombie Hitler's face blowing up somewhere on the interwebs.

I know. I kinda hated that we never got it, cause Indy vs Nazis is something I love about the series.

Quote:

So, what will the Paramount logo dissolve to in this one?

Space Mountain.