Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

That's the thing, I don't think there's much of a legacy beyond the excellent RAIDERS, though I do enjoy TEMPLE OF DOOM for its zaniness and it's the Indy film I grew up with. CRYSTAL SKULL is average at worst for me. Good moments, duds, whatevs.

Same here, but with Last Crusade in place of Temple of Doom.

Its the Indy film I grew up with, I love the whole grail plot and Indy/Henry Sr dynamic, plus the whole tank sequence is pure greatness.

And the cliff gag is absolutely perfect.

ASo Ford will be 77 when this comes out. What age will Indy supposedly be? Any chance this will be set in the late 70s with Indy bumbling about bumping into Speilberg or Lucas or telling his students to start studying instead of wasting their time watching that stupid sci-fi movie that everyone is hooked on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

That's the thing, I don't think there's much of a legacy beyond the excellent RAIDERS, though I do enjoy TEMPLE OF DOOM for its zaniness and it's the Indy film I grew up with. CRYSTAL SKULL is average at worst for me. Good moments, duds, whatevs.

To me what sets CRYSTAL SKULL apart is how bizarrely lethargic it is.   And it's not Ford's age; there's some weird X-factor with that movie where the whole thing come off as a perfunctory, unenthused, episodic slog.  They don't even bother to offer any proper cliffhanger moments, which is insane given that it's an Indiana Jones movie.

I also hated how they further demystified the world of the franchise by drawing this ungainly connection between Abner Ravenwood, Mutt and the new character of Indy's old college buddy John Hurt.  I guess to be fair LAST CRUSADE started us on that path, but trying to make the whole damned cast essentially related got under my skin, especially given how unnecessary many of the characters in that movie ended up being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

So Ford will be 77 when this comes out. What age will Indy supposedly be?

It makes sense for Indy to be as old and physically capable as Harrison is.

A[quote name="FatherDude" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/50#post_4031720"]Also, though the game got axed, there's a test animation of zombie Hitler's face blowing up somewhere on the interwebs.[/quote]
[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/220197/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Quote:

So Ford will be 77 when this comes out. What age will Indy supposedly be? Any chance this will be set in the late 70s with Indy bumbling about bumping into Speilberg or Lucas or telling his students to start studying instead of wasting their time watching that stupid sci-fi movie that everyone is hooked on.

Holy shit, someone on Io9 posted the worst idea ever for this:

Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth.

Old Harrison drinks from the fountain, and *poof* turns to Chris Pratt. Sequels and monies are made and LostEngineer is exiled back into the greys.

APft. Chris Pratt wishes.

He's the equivalent to Ford as the kid who leaves an apple on Doctor Jones' desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth.

Old Harrison drinks from the fountain, and *poof* turns to Chris Pratt. Sequels and monies are made and LostEngineer is exiled back into the greys.

No need to discuss why this is stupid, but it doesn't even make sense in a crassly commercial sense because Disney isn't just going to want to have a young Indy after Ford rounds off his version of the character; they're going to want the 30s back too.  What's the point of Indy in his prime if he's stuck in the 60s or the 70s or whatever era this thing ends up in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

Bring him in, and pair Indy with Sallah's son or daughter, played by a middle-eastern/arabic actor/actresss

Rami Malek!

The best stuff in CRYSTAL SKULL is the stuff related to Indy being a "man out of his time." There's a reason the most memorable image from that movie is him silhouetted against the mushroom cloud - a pulp adventurer confronted with something more powerful than the whole of the Third Reich. 

Given that the time gap between CRUSADE and SKULL is roughly reflected by the time gap of the setting of those films - '38 to '57 - I think you are looking at a late sixties adventure, which works, because there's a lot of interesting stuff going on culturally in that era. (Including Amblin, which came out in 1968.) It's a shame that MEN IN BLACK III used the period NASA setting so well, because you could easily do something surrounding the space race - and, of course, the sci-fi nonsense of SKULL beat us to it. 

Personally, I'd like to see something involving early New Age mysticism, Wicca, and the Southern California/Manson era cult antics. Maybe tie something in related to the Satanic fiction of Rosemary's Baby/Exorcist. You could even riff on the folk horror and paganism of Wicker Man, Harvest Home, etc. The Judeo-Christian God has been a recurring motif/theme of the first three - it'd be fun to see the reverse of that.

And I agree - let's see how he lost the eye (or even have him go through the whole movie with an eyepatch. Eyepatches are cool.)

home taping is killing music
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

Personally, I'd like to see something involving early New Age mysticism, Wicca, and the Southern California/Manson era cult antics. Maybe tie something in related to the Satanic fiction of Rosemary's Baby/Exorcist. You could even riff on the folk horror and paganism of Wicker Man, Harvest Home, etc. 

Indy fights a hippie cult that is attempting to unleash some primordial evil they dont fully understand in Vietnam in order to end the war?

AYou can't have Ford Indy with an eyepatch, half of his charm is in those twinkles.

Whatever the maguffin is I hope it's steeped in the Judeo Christian lore that the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail were. I don't give a fuck about offending some right-wing Christian nut jobs, I grew up in a catholic home so to me the AotC and the HG were fair play and potentially real items lost to history. Still could be, that's why I love those movies - there's a sense of this could be real to them. In my mind anyway.

Ryoken, that has potential - though I'd go with something related to a "back to the garden" type ethos. I'd try and keep Vietnam out of it as much as possible - that war is far more complex to portray in a "fun" fashion than World War II.  Although I suspect we might also get the Short Round as Chinese military officer idea at some point.

AOh and Indy has to shoot people in this one. In the back of the head too.
Quote:

You can't have Ford Indy with an eyepatch, half of his charm is in those twinkles.

Whatever the maguffin is I hope it's steeped in the Judeo Christian lore that the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail were. I don't give a fuck about offending some right-wing Christian nut jobs, I grew up in a catholic home so to me the AotC and the HG were fair play and potentially real items lost to history. Still could be, that's why I love those movies - there's a sense of this could be real to them. In my mind anyway.

This got a bad game adaptation, but the idea of Moses staff being an artifact of power is sound. You could say it allow one to control the weather/forces of nature.

I mean, set it in the middle east and have a neo nazi cult trying to use the staff to wipe out Jerusalem and the "lesser races", with Indy joining forces with reluctant allies from Israel and Palestine who have to work together to prevent a greater threat to both nations.

A

I Love that we getting a new Indiana Jones Film

Ehh, I really don't know about that either. Part of the fun of Indiana Jones is that it's apolitical to a point other than "Nazis/the Soviets are bad." Once you start messing around with morally complex conflicts like Vietnam, Israel/Palestine, it sort of takes the fun out of it. 

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Spielberg been pretty clear he doesn't intend to use the Nazis as cartoony bad guys ever again? Seems like Neo-Nazis would be part of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilla7 View Post

Love to see a scene like this again

"Dr Jones! did you just shoot that man?"

"I'm an old man, i dont have time for that shit"

Quote:

Given that the time gap between CRUSADE and SKULL is roughly reflected by the time gap of the setting of those films - '38 to '57 - I think you are looking at a late sixties adventure, which works, because there's a lot of interesting stuff going on culturally in that era. (Including Amblin, which came out in 1968.) It's a shame that MEN IN BLACK III used the period NASA setting so well, because you could easily do something surrounding the space race - and, of course, the sci-fi nonsense of SKULL beat us to it.

The cultural backdrop element is interesting.  As the installment that brought us into the 50s, it made sense that CRYSTAL SKULL dealt with the Red Scare and the atomic age, but I'm not sure the fifth movie should embrace its era (whatever that might be) quite so directly.  I mean, did the previous movies really do that?  They textured themselves with cinematic influences (there's some THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE and David Lean in RAIDERS, and of course a lot of GUNGA DIN in TEMPLE), but the mere acknowledgment of a political angle by the fourth movie was kind of a series first, and so ham-handedly establishing the era by blaring "Hound Dog" on the radio of a teenager's hot rod was somewhat interesting too.

SKULL actually tried to have its cake and eat it too by dealing with the 50s stuff while ultimately telling a story that would have been just as appropriate, if not more so, for the thirties (lost city in the jungle).  And I'm not necessarily saying that blend didn't work (at least, I wouldn't say that's what the movie's issue was), but trying to walk that line once you get to the 60s seems really tricky.  I think they're better off setting Indy in some ancient location in Europe or Asia and not trying to figure out how to sum up the decade at the same time.

Quote:

Ehh, I really don't know about that either. Part of the fun of Indiana Jones is that it's apolitical to a point other than "Nazis/the Soviets are bad." Once you start messing around with morally complex conflicts like Vietnam, Israel/Palestine, it sort of takes the fun out of it. 

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Spielberg been pretty clear he doesn't intend to use the Nazis as cartoony bad guys ever again? Seems like Neo-Nazis would be part of that.

Yeah, that was his intent after Schindler's List, but come on, what other kind of historical villain is acceptable these days?

Chinese/asian communists? Say bye bye to the China BO.

Same with soviets.

What else can be used in the indy time frame?

AYep, the only good thing the Nazis gave us was unlimited human cannon fodder in movies and video games. There's literally no downside or moral outrage whatsoever to gunning down hoards and hoards of Nazis.

Hipsters. Did the 60s have Hipsters? Could Indy dive into a pile of Hipsters and start swinging some of his hay-bailers?
ANorth Koreans!
Quote:

Yep, the only good thing the Nazis gave us was unlimited human cannon fodder in movies and video games. There's literally no downside or moral outrage whatsoever to gunning down hoards and hoards of Nazis.

Hipsters. Did the 60s have Hipsters? Could Indy dive into a pile of Hipsters and start swinging some of his hay-bailers?

No, but he could fight a hippie cult like Manson's family?

Well, there's beatniks. Thats close to hipsters, i guess.

This is why I think you need to go with a cultural villain rather than a political one - cultists, proto-Satanists, neo-pagans, that sort of thing. There's also a fair amount that could be done with the space race - Soviets trying to sabotage the US, or vice versa, or someone from the inside trying to stop the program because they don't want the discovery of...whatever to be uncovered.

A[quote name="ryoken" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/50#post_4031764"]No, but he could fight a hippie cult like Manson's family?
Well, there's beatniks. Thats close to hipsters, i guess.
[/quote]

Beatnik: "Hey old man, you're such a square!"
*INDY PUNCH!*
Doctor Jones "Get a proper fuckin' haircut, hippie."

Ticket. Sold.
Quote:

North Koreans!

In what context could North Korea be involved with an historical artifact that threatens the entire world?

wait, there's the Kusanagi sword of Japan...maybe that could work.

Plus, Indy versus Orochi, the 8 head serpent?

Ah, fuck it....

Indiana Jones and the Mountains of Madness.

A Spielberg/Del Toro joint, Tom Cruise is the antagonist as a former friend of Indy possesed/in league with the Elder Gods.

Quote:

Beatnik: "Hey old man, you're such a square!"
*INDY PUNCH!*
Doctor Jones "Get a proper fuckin' haircut, hippie."

Ticket. Sold.

In terms of pure geography, we need to get away from jungles and deserts, which have been done twice now.  I'd love to see a little bit of Indy on the high seas (a prologue where he's attacked by pirates?), mountains, snow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

In terms of pure geography, we need to get away from jungles and deserts, which have been done twice now.  I'd love to see a little bit of Indy on the high seas (a prologue where he's attacked by

pirates?), mountains, snow.

Does an island in the middle of the sea count?

A[quote name="Barry Woodward" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/50#post_4031694"]So, what will the Paramount logo dissolve to in this one? A volcano, just before it explodes? A shark's fin poking above the water with the Jaws theme playing? The actual Paramount logo on the Paramount Studios lot in Hollywood?
[/quote]

Paramount logo dissolves into a small tent of white cotton sheets.
Pull back to reveal DOCTOR HENRY 'INDIANA' JONES sitting upright in a hospital bed looking pleased with himself.
A young nurse enters the room.
Nurse: "Well Doctor Jones it looks like our experimental pills work."
Doctor Jones: "Hey tootz."

"Time for love, Dr. Jones..."

Since this has already gone off the rails, my batshit Indiana Jones crossover has always involved Jones teaming up with a fellow academic to uncover a powerful artifact long since lost in the fires of a volcano. 

That's right: INDIANA JONES AND THE ONE RING OF POWER.

Quote:

Paramount logo dissolves into a small tent of white cotton sheets.
Pull back to reveal DOCTOR HENRY 'INDIANA' JONES sitting upright in a hospital bed looking pleased with himself.
A young nurse enters the room.
Nurse: "Well Doctor Jones it looks like our experimental pills work."
Doctor Jones: "Hey tootz."

Wow, three pages till the first dick joke?

This is an internet record.

Quote:

Since this has already gone off the rails, my batshit Indiana Jones crossover has always involved Jones teaming up with a fellow academic to uncover a powerful artifact long since lost in the fires of a volcano. 

That's right: INDIANA JONES AND THE ONE RING OF POWER.

Nah, Indy would inmediatly point out using the eagles for the trip.