Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion

NO!!! IT IS A NEW CENTURY DR JONES! NO EAGLES.

home taping is killing music
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

NO!!! IT IS A NEW CENTURY DR JONES! NO EAGLES.

But would Indy refers to the hobbits as a  " bunch of short rounds"?

A[quote name="ryoken" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/50#post_4031776"]Does an island in the middle of the sea count?[/quote]
I've said it before, but Indy + Lovecraft isn't as good an idea as it sounds at first mention. There's a certain similarity in the idea of Indy being tossed up against something far beyond his power and just trying to survive (I mean, the first film ends with the actual wrath of God being poured out on the scene,) but even putting aside the fact that it's even harder to reconcile Lovecraft's mythology with the Judeo-Christian elements of the first and third movies than it was to do the same with Hollywood Hinduism, Lovecraft's work (while good stuff in its own right) just doesn't have the historical/cultural weight to it that real-world religion/mythology does. It's niche genre fiction, familiar primarily to nerds and Internet dwellers, not something with a real cultural context that people can relate to on a deeper level than "hey, I read a pretty good short story about that once." Hell, even the actual 19th-century kook-fringe stuff they used in some of the spin-off material has more weight to it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

I've said it before, but Indy + Lovecraft isn't as good an idea as it sounds at first mention. There's a certain similarity in the idea of Indy being tossed up against something far beyond his power and just trying to survive (I mean, the first film ends with the actual wrath of God being poured out on the scene,) but even putting aside the fact that it's even harder to reconcile Lovecraft's mythology with the Judeo-Christian elements of the first and third movies than it was to do the same with Hollywood Hinduism, Lovecraft's work (while good stuff in its own right) just doesn't have the historical/cultural weight to it that real-world religion/mythology does. It's niche genre fiction, not something with a real cultural context that people can relate to on a deeper level than "hey, I read a pretty good short story about that once."

Yeah, i know, but after the failure of Del Toro's ATMOM, I feel like an Indy/Lovecraft crossover is the only way we'll see a big budget Lovecraft style film.

It wouldnt work and shouldnt be done, but the idea is still attractive to me despite its glaring flaws....flaws that became even more evident after KOTCS.

Here we go. I got your Indiana Jones/Cthulhu/multi-franchise crossover movie:

INDIANA JONES AND THE RIGHT HAND OF DOOM.

Somebody tell Perlman to get back in the suit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misfit View Post

Here we go. I got your Indiana Jones/Cthulhu/multi-franchise crossover movie:

INDIANA JONES AND THE RIGHT HAND OF DOOM.

Somebody tell Perlman to get back in the suit.

Professor Trevor 'Broom' Bruttenholm: 1937: Hitler joins the Thule Society, a group of German aristocrats obsessed with the occult. In 1938, he acquired the spear of Longinus, which pierced the side of Christ. He who holds it becomes invincible. Hitler's power increases tenfold. 1943: President Roosevelt decides to fight back. The Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense is born. 1958: the Occult Wars finally come to an end with the death of Adolf Hitler.

John Myers: 1945, you mean. Hitler died in '45.

Professor Trevor 'Broom' Bruttenholm: [amused] Did he now?

oh god I want to see this so much I'm thisclose to writing fanfiction and I'm almost 40 years old somebody please help me

Quote:

oh god I want to see this so much I'm thisclose to writing fanfiction and I'm almost 40 years old somebody please help me

Just post it on FanFiction.net under another alias....but maybe we will know.

WE WILL KNOW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

Just post it on FanFiction.net under another alias....but maybe we will know.

WE WILL KNOW.

"All right, let's see what's in the ol' inbox today. We got a new submission here from somebody called Definitely Not Misfit from Chud."

AThe 60's could be an interesting time to send Indy to look for the Garden of Eden between the Tigris and the Euphrates. Team him up with some sympathetic Shi'ites and have Iraq's (at the time) newly ascendant Ba'ath Party chase them around.
ADon't feel bad Misfit. I turned 40 3 weeks ago and I also oh wait no this shit is ridiculous. The beard will be 71 when this is made. Why does he want to spend 2 years making this shit??
Quote:

"All right, let's see what's in the ol' inbox today. We got a new submission here from somebody called Definitely Not Misfit from Chud."

"Its not bad, but the love scene between Hellboy and Indy lacks passion".

A[quote name="Bluelouboyle" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/100#post_4031817"] The beard will be 71 when this is made. Why does he want to spend 2 years making this shit??[/quote]

Because he's got a killer idea and a world-class writing team? Please please please please.

Have to think what's in it for Disney though. Neither Speilberg nor Ford come cheap, plus this is likely to come in at around $150m - as much as Indiana Jones is a massive box office draw, it's not going to do Star Wars or Avengers numbers - even if it makes $400m in the US, that's small potatoes for a Disney tentpole.
A"Misfit's decision to cast Ted Levine as deputy Mayor of Indy's home town - and a vending machine as the Mayor - speaks volumes of his literary genius".
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

"Misfit's decision to cast Ted Levine as deputy Mayor of Indy's home town - and a vending machine as the Mayor - speaks volumes of his literary genius".

Shame that most of his draft will be discarded when Lindelof is brought on board.

Can we take a moment to reflect on how freaking powerful Harrison Ford apparently is?  The dude got paid dramatically more than anyone else on THE FORCE AWAKENS, and supposedly (and at any rate, successfully) made Indiana Jones 5 a condition for agreeing to return to Star Wars.  As I understand it he currently has the crown for highest paid actor, and at this rate he might hold it permanently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Can we take a moment to reflect on how freaking powerful Harrison Ford apparently is?  The dude got paid dramatically more than anyone else on THE FORCE AWAKENS, and supposedly (and at any rate, successfully) made Indiana Jones 5 a condition for agreeing to return to Star Wars.  As I understand it he currently has the crown for highest paid actor, and at this rate he might hold it permanently.

He's 70, he's been the main star in some of the most profitable films ever, has two huge franchises under his belt, has walked of airplane crashes and on set injuries/disentery, and has survived marriage to Calista Flockhart.

He is POWER UNLIMITED!!!!!

Not bad for a languid man who is probably intelligent.

A[quote name="Bluelouboyle" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/90#post_4031825"]"Misfit's decision to cast Ted Levine as deputy Mayor of Indy's home town - and a vending machine as the Mayor - speaks volumes of his literary genius".[/quote]

*furiously scribbles notes*

It really does make me happy to see Ford righting the ship as he gets older. He seemed to not care for so long that it was depressing. Well, not care as far as movies go. I'm sure those hikers he rescued in his helicopter thought he was doing a bang-up job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Not bad for a languid man who might be intelligent.

but was he a good carpenter back in the day? Always wondered about that.

Wait a minute....carpenter, humbre originns, becomes an icon to millions....HOLY SHIT!

Quote:

Woah, where's that one from?  These are the Iron Phoenix frames I'm familiar with, the work of animator Anson Jew:

A[quote name="Stale Elvis" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/50#post_4031748"]You can't have Ford Indy with an eyepatch, half of his charm is in those twinkles.[/quote]

I'd like to see Ford as Indy with an eyepatch, but only at the very end.

It should be totally irrelevant, too.  The quest is over, and he ends up walking into a nail or something.

Dun dun dun daaaaaaaa.

The villains should be the ILLUMINATI.

Absolutely not.

home taping is killing music

Here's the next question... will Kasdan be asked back for screenplay duties?

It would be fitting. I don't doubt Ford and Spielberg can deliver with the right script. Kasdan would definitely set my mind at ease.

A[quote name="FatherDude" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/100#post_4031844"][QUOTE name="commodorejohn" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/50#post_4031735"][/QUOTE]
Woah, where's that one from?[/quote]
Bionic Commando.

(The real one.)
ASpeilberg, Ford, Kasdan.

No Lucas. No JJ.

Dare we dream?

More likely David Koepp will be summoned back and I will be able to dismiss the project outright with a lot less hassle.

So, which actors could you envision playing a villain in this?

A[quote name="Stale Elvis" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/100#post_4031858"]Speilberg, Ford, Kasdan.

No Lucas. No JJ.

Dare we dream?[/quote]

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the next thing Kasdan did. Once again building up hype that the guy who wrote RAIDERS and EMPIRE is doing the next Indy film, and that George "Jar Jar is the key" Lucas is not involved will make skeptics curious.
AJanusz Kaminski?
Quote:

Bionic Commando.

(The real one.)

I'm mortified I did not recognize it.  At any rate, all depictions of Hitler's head exploding are welcome in my book.

A[quote name="Stale Elvis" url="/community/t/155331/indiana-jones-and-youre-actually-fucking-serious-pre-release-discussion/100#post_4031864"]Janusz Kaminski?[/quote]

I don't doubt it. I never minded his push processing look, though I wish he restrained himself for CRYSTAL SKULL that one time. I think he got the look right for the most part, but it's that push processing that made it feel off from the other films.