Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion
(07-11-2018, 09:28 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: So we're agreed Oscar Isaac passes for white then?

We'll take "Vaguely but not threateningly ethnic" for $200, Alex.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Ethnically ambiguous, Michael. Ethnic is what a Republican says to win elections.
home taping is killing music
Sorry! I was trying to mimic what low-key racists would say and got it wrong!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Although I love the idea of foregrounding Indy as a Guatemalan-Cuban American...

I'm pretty sure an Isaac Indy would just be a white guy. Indy being of Scottish descent, presumably.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(07-11-2018, 09:28 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I'd take that long-rumored Rocketeer sequel with a girl Rocketeer before this.

Isaac is a good idea. Y'all nuts with this "omg he's so short." Actors ARE short. The tall ones are the exceptions.

Just having a bit of fun. There's the shot of him in TFA when he first runs out of Lor San Tekka's hut and he looks adorably short.
Oh, I was just busting balls. Dude is short, no doubt.
home taping is killing music
Height-ists.

-spits-
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Once you play the King of England, I’m pretty sure you get a lifelong white pass.
(07-11-2018, 09:14 AM)shaunh Wrote: But then they'd have to cast all children to act alongside him in order for him to look like a proper man.

Guy looks like he's about 5'5".  Given that Disney apparently doesn't mind height gaps when recasting, he's perfect!
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
Fuck it - if passing for Indiana Jones means you don't have to look like him, be as tall or as rangy as him, have that Harrison Ford spark and charm and look like you could go toe-to-toe with nazi henchmen, then just cast, oh I dunno someone like Alden Ehrenreich.
For me it's more about having presence, strength, and the ability to project nuance and depth with pulpy plot and dialogue.

None of those have a height requirement attached.

Yeah ok. We'll get Toby Jones to play him then.
(07-11-2018, 05:54 PM)MichaelM Wrote: For me it's more about having presence, strength, and the ability to project nuance and depth with pulpy plot and dialogue.

None of those have a height requirement attached.

[Image: ylar0uzfrf811.jpg]

LOL ... perfect clip usage.
Look at Ford's big cheesy grin and natural sparkle in that clip - we need someone like that. With the same physical presence also.

Almost 40 years later - if you're watching Raiders with a girl she'll will 9 times out of 10 mutter "fucking hell, he's gorgeous". And fuck it, he is - late 70's/early 80's Ford is sexy and swaggery as hell and I don't mind admitting it - and that's part of the Indiana Jones charm. You need someone who perhaps doesn't ape Ford, but possesses the raw masculine qualities he had and then build on top.
(07-11-2018, 06:23 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: Look at Ford's big cheesy grin and natural sparkle in that clip - we need someone like that. With the same physical presence also.

Almost 40 years later - if you're watching Raiders with a girl she'll will 9 times out of 10 mutter "fucking hell, he's gorgeous". And fuck it, he is - late 70's/early 80's Ford is sexy and swaggery as hell and I don't mind admitting it - and that's part of the Indiana Jones charm. You need someone who perhaps doesn't ape Ford, but possesses the raw masculine qualities he had and then build on top.

[Image: 4yz8hm-l-610x610-jacket-indiana+jones+ha...othing.jpg]

Or if you're skewing younger, Ingruber.

**Oscar Isaac? C'mon, son.

****For some reason Joel Kinnaman just occurred to me as an interesting possibility.
Jesus Christ, is Chris fucking Pratt the only actor working today?

Give it to an unknown if you have to, but not Pratt.

And not Ingruber. Ever.
(07-11-2018, 06:31 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: Jesus Christ, is Chris fucking Pratt the only actor working today?

Who is charismatic, not a hobbit, and brings physicality to a role while still retaining an "everyman" quality (e.g. not looking like the product of a pirate having mated with an angel)?

There are slim pickings.
never ever pratt
(07-11-2018, 07:21 PM)Nooj Wrote: never ever pratt

Now I want Pratt to play Indy so badly.
Chris Pratt would be a fine choice to cast in a parody of an Indy film. This does not mean he would be a good choice for actual Indy.
Chris Pratt is who you call when Brendan Fraser doesn’t want to renew his Mummy contract.
and even THAT doesn't feel right
Just watching GoT - know who’d be a good fit for Indy? Jaime Lannister bloke.
(07-11-2018, 08:15 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: Just watching GoT - know who’d be a good fit for Indy? Jaime Lannister bloke.

That guy has zero athleticism.  Maybe not the best choice.
I remember Holloway's name being tossed around back in the Lost days. Could work, but would probably just be Sawyer in a fedora.
If Holloway simply must play a globe-trotting treasure hunter that constantly runs afoul of supernatural forces, then he should play Gabriel Knight.

I have to admit, Pratt kind of makes sense to me. That picture up there looks like Indiana Jones. But I also know how bad he can be when used incorrectly, as in the Jurassics, and I can’t bring myself to condone it. So fuck it, I say they cast Jesse Plemons. Or that whispy mustache son from Get Out and Twin Peaks. Let’s get weird with it.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Wait, which extremely eccentric casting choice from Twin Peaks are we talking about?

I mean, I'd be 110% on board with Harry Dean Stanton, but that option is sadly no longer open to us.
They could CG him into it. The tech’s almost there.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
No computer could ever capture the soul of Stanton. They'd only be able to do his Black Lodge doppelganger.
God, can you imagine?

‘We’ve decided the only way to properly portray this beloved character is the use of CG technology.

Oh, so you’re de-aging Harrison Ford?

No, we’re going to make him look Harry Dean Stanton, at the age he was when he died’
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-12-2018, 05:19 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: God, can you imagine?

‘We’ve decided the only way to properly portray this beloved character is the use of CG technology.

Oh, so you’re de-aging Harrison Ford?

No, we’re going to make him look Harry Dean Stanton, at the age he was when he died’

[Image: aaazgl.jpg]