Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion
If Twitter and Social Media and all that crap was around in the 1960s Sean Connery would have asserted that no one else could be Bond after him and that the series would end with him and I'm sure people would have totally bought into it. How'd that turn out?

Regardless of what Ford thinks, I'm sure Disney has every intention of churning out Indiana Jones films long after he's six feet under.
James Bond is a character that existed in print before he was depicted in movies. Sean Connery wasn't even the first actor to play the character on screen. He was originally played in a TV show by the guy who later played the manager of the Overlook hotel in "The Shining."

So Indiana Jones is different and largely equated with Harrison Ford. Yes, there was the TV series (that failed), and the prologue to "Last Crusade," that culminates with Ford back in the role.

I forget my original point (I'm drinking), but I assume it's probably that Harrison Ford is, was and always will be the appeal of the character. Without him, it's just not the same.
Yeah but folks also say Harrison Ford is the appeal of the Han Solo character and they recast him successfully enou...

Oh.
I think you could recast Indy. It's just NOT Chris Pine.

Speaking of Bond, this July, Harrison Ford will be 20 years older than Sean Connery was in THE LAST CRUSADE. Heck, he's already older than the age Connery retired at.
(05-25-2019, 06:37 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I think you could recast Indy. It's just NOT Chris Pine.

Yeah, I find the pretty prevalent accepted wisdom that the role's naturally Chrises Pine or Pratt's to inherit totally baffling and worrying (Pratt more so). Indiana Jones ain't the 'highly-confident frat boy with a doofy veneer and smug interior' that those two actors play well, and can play charmingly (nor is Han Solo).

Hell, sticking solely to Chrises, Evans or Hemsworth would be far better suited. Indy's more earnest and hard than he is swaggering and snarky.
I'm pretty sure Ford meant Chris Pratt when he said Chris Pine, which makes the dismissal even better.

I've heard it proposed that the best way to move Indy forward is with the CREED approach, where you introduce a new character in the same universe rather than recast Rocky Balboa.  The trouble is, this franchise is tied to a certain period (roughly the 20s through the 40s, I would argue) in way that the Rocky or Bond series aren't, and which we've only departed from to accommodate Harrison Ford's age.  So if they tried to introduce a new lead by having Ford pass the torch to an apprentice character in the fifth movie, said character would be stuck in the 1960s, at which point you're far enough from the mothership that you're making a new IP.  There doesn't seem to be much point in tying it to Indiana Jones, even from a marketing perspective.

So you're pretty much still left with the ultimatum of full reboot or not continuing.  I tend to agree that there is no point in moving forward in the live action world without Ford, but that won't stop Disney from trying and failing.  The best way to keep this property going remains an animated series.  Throw in a FATE OF ATLANTIS (still the best Indy sequel ever made) style graphic adventure game every now and then, the occasional comic, and you've got stewardship of the franchise in a post-Ford world handled with dignity.  Won't happen, of course.

Really though, I wish the parties involved would stop worrying about what happens after the fifth film and focus their efforts on getting the fifth film made.  Because I'm still not feeling terribly solid on it being a go thing yet.  I'm not sure what makes Dan Fogelman the guy to do what Koepp and Kasdan could not in Spielberg's (or is it Iger's?) eyes, and he pretty much has to do it in six months. Spielberg HAS to be filming this next year.
(05-25-2019, 08:06 AM)rexbanner Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 06:37 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I think you could recast Indy. It's just NOT Chris Pine.

Yeah, I find the pretty prevalent accepted wisdom that the role's naturally Chrises Pine or Pratt's to inherit totally baffling and worrying (Pratt more so). Indiana Jones ain't the 'highly-confident frat boy with a doofy veneer and smug interior' that those two actors play well, and can play charmingly (nor is Han Solo).

This is really unfair to Pine, who has done great, warm, non-fratboyish work outside Star Trek (and honestly, even in Star Trek, once we got to Beyond). I actually think he would do a great Indy and could ably pull off both the professorial aspects and the action hero aspects of the character.
I think Pine would work fantastically as an Indy-type character

the issue with him (or anyone) playing Indy would be that there would be immediate comparisons made in the brain that would just shift that experience in a particular way if one is inclined to associate Ford with Indy
This property feels like the Universal Monsters. No one under a certain age gives a fuck but brand recognition keeps it churning forth with increasingly shit results. Let it die without dignity!
that really is the way I'd pick!
In theory I guess bringing back octogenarian Ford to whip some hippies or something would be completely sans dignity, so jokes on me.
Bring Indy back to his horror roots. Let Ford play the slow, shambolic monster we all want to see.
You know, a part of me thinks maybe Indy should just be left alone.

You'd be surprised at how much dismissal I've seen towards the series recently, especially from "woke" hipsters.
Anybody who does not like the first three films is not to be taken seriously in any way.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
oh ho ho

now who’s getting judgemental about tastes???
Is that a response to something I said once?
The first three films are all you need.
many times belloq!

whenever you were hurt by people making certain judgements of character about those who took issue with certain star war movies!

but I say this as a general joke about all of us who often make such claims here and there!
Anyone dismissing RAIDERS should be slapped and sterilized.
seeeeee?
(05-25-2019, 10:45 PM)Nooj Wrote: many times belloq!

whenever you were hurt by people making certain judgements of character about those who took issue with certain star war movies!

but I say this as a general joke about all of us who often make such claims here and there!

Clearly what I was saying was in jest, though. Very rarely was what you're referring to ever in jest!

But sure, fine. You got me.
IS IT JEST THOUGH??

what do you really think of the tastes of someone who doesn’t hold up the wonderful Indy trilogy?

THEY SHOULD BE HUNTED DOWN!
Who could possibly do rubber face as well as Ford?

I got my Chrises mixed up.

I meant Pratt!!!
Or Pratt.
new rule: no one named "Chris" is allowed to play Indiana Jones.
(05-26-2019, 10:56 AM)Amos Wrote: new rule: no one named "Chris" is allowed to play Indiana Jones.

I actually liked someone’s up thread mention of Chris Evans. He could do it and not bring the doofus personality of Pratt. Pine could do it too.
Indiana Jones is a tightrope act. Doofus doesn't exactly work. Personally I DO think that Chris Pratt could do it. He's an actor for chrissakes. I doubt he'd play Indy like he does Quill. That's just silly.

Hugh Jackman has already aged out and he was my pick for a lot of years in the event of a recast. So, I have a pick. Well....a couple. But I might as well not say them. They'll just get shot down..
I've seen Pratt try to play other kinds of characters.

It didn't work for Jurassic World. It didn't work for Magnificent Seven.

He's a charming actor that has a particular persona that's his forte. In addition to the onscreen baggage he has from previous roles, I don't see Pratt working at all. It would immediately be a different character from Indy. Now, if being a different Indy is the goal, that's different conversation.
I was thinking Oscar Isaac or.....Daniel Bruhl. I was looking at Daniel Bruhl and was thinking, ya know...he could do the classroom part really well. Just, rugged him up a bit.

Yes I'm aware of the irony of a half German playing Indy.

Or Henry Cavill....WITH mustache lol..
I'm actually all for Ingruber getting the role hahahahahah

try it out, why not?

always forever ingruber
He LOOKS it. But can he DO it. It's the "jeez, not this shit again, weariness " as the movies go on that is the aspect that keeps bringing me back to Pratt. I just don't think that Pratt's incapable of not playing Indy the way he played those other characters. But that's just me..
Seann. William. Scott.

Don’t know if I’ve mentioned that before.
You have. I can't quite see it. Of course if he was cast, I'd watch the film. You might be right. He might be GREAT. I don't think I've even seen him in a movie since 2003. What's age done to him?
(05-26-2019, 03:04 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I just don't think that Pratt's incapable of not playing Indy the way he played those other characters. 

this sentence makes me go cross-eyed!

I'm all for Ingruber because fan-casters pushed him so hard for SOLO simply because the guy looked and sounded like Ford.  And now I'm at the point where I would like to see them get what they think they want.

Pratt's form of "aw jeez, not this again!" comes across more as a schlubby whine than Ford's more surly/gruff/you-sunuvabitch... persona

(05-26-2019, 03:04 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: Seann. William. Scott.

Don’t know if I’ve mentioned that before.

I think someone has mentioned him before.

I'd be into that because it's an actual interesting pick that doesn't come across as obligatory as the usual names dropped