Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion
But that's acting! I think Pratt COULD be that gruff and less schlubby. The other roles didn't have anything to compare it too so he played to his brand. Indy is established and I can't believe he would be so thick as to not realize that and adjust accordingly..
(05-26-2019, 03:11 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: But that's acting! I think Pratt COULD be that gruff and less schlubby. The other roles didn't have anything to compare it too so he played to his brand. Indy is established and I can't believe he would be so thick as to not realize that and adjust accordingly..

yeah, that's acting

but there are things that even the best actors can't do when it comes to iconic movie-star acting.

I'd say they were definitely going for an Indy vibe with his Jurassic World character.  And even a bit with his Magnificent Seven character.  And at this point, all of Pratt's major roles I've seen so far have been unable to be without that usual safe golden retriever energy... even when he's supposed to be some dangerous badass.  I just never get 'dangerous' from Pratt.  Nor would I buy him teaching an archaeology class.

I'm sure he's not so thick that he wouldn't realize that he wouldn't have to adjust.  I'm just doubting whether he could adjust it enough.  He has a particular strength that's done him well in his career.  But that doesn't mean he can play like Ford (if that were the intent). 

If a new take on Indy was that he would be a more gentle lovable doofus?  Then he'd be perfect!
Fuck it. Jai Courtney it is, then.

For the record, I was serious about the "Henry Cavill with the mustache" thing.

...or Matthew McConaughey (god I can never spell his name). There's tons of people who can do this. The problem is we're trying to recreate a new Ford..
I've seen Jai Courtney play 'dangerous' in JACK REACHER pretty well.

I don't think he has much more than that as a 'movie star' though... even though I thought he was really good in Spartacus.

Henry Cavill with a mustache? I'd rather see him play a different old-fashioned adventurer without having to be saddled with Indy baggage.
The Henry Cavill thing was more just saying "well, if we can't have the REAL Tom Selleck.."

I was NOT serious about Jai Courtney. Jason Clarke would be better..
CAN the Roger Moore equivalent of an Indy actor exist? Someone who plays it identifiably as Indy but without being a Ford imitation.
my argument was that it would probably take someone being sacrificed as the Lazenby Indy first
Yes. They just need to have the movie to get the chance to prove it. Otherwise we're just chasing our tails..

Ok, well....if there's gonna be a sacrificial Lazenby, he needs to do one, have it flop, Ford come back for one more and then usher in the REAL replacement and then have the "Lazenby" one hailed as an underappreciated classic in 50 years..
(05-26-2019, 03:26 PM)Nooj Wrote: my argument was that it would probably take someone being sacrificed as the Lazenby Indy first

Very well.

INGRUBER IT IS!!!
fraid and stocks know what's up
I wouldn't even want Jia Courtney playing Himself.
I thought that's all he did. Except for Captain Boomerang inexplicably..
Considering how iconic Ford is in the role this could be a good chance to pass to a completely different type of actor entirely, and I'm sure there's lot's of potential picks. So the real issue is can the bedrock of an Indiana Jones movie still work in this day and age - a teacher-type character from a couple of generations ago that can get swept up in an adventure and rough it out in the wilderness while chasing some kind of famous and powerful artefact? Don't we need a bit more plot stuff going on in films these days?
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Pratt's Indy would have Emotional Intelligence, not lame historical knowledge. He could teach Inspirational Archaeology. "You'll make the greatest discovery of all if you learn to believe in yourself!"
ew gross!
Look...this is my feelings on the subject. Ford, Arnold, Sly, Eastwood, Connery, Nicholson, Gene Hackman (if only) Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton...hell, Peter Cullen. They're only on this Earth a finite amount of time even though they're legendary to us. They're welcome to make as many of these as possible. Whether they reach the level of greatness of the TRUE classics...or not. And who knows? Maybe some will hit that bullseye. I want as much as they're all willing to give.

God I wish somebody could talk Connery and Hackman into gracing the screen for one more gig. Even if it's just a cameo in a Marvel movie. I don't give a fuck. I don't care if Ford makes these till he's 100. As long as the movie gives a reason for that to be plausible..
Ben Affleck would be a good Indiana Jones!
He probably would!

I'd have to see him in motion though..
I’ve always been of the opinion it’s a James Bond role, and if we had treated it differently when we had the chance, we could have ten Indiana Jones films by now, of varying quality.

Now? Less so. I’d like these movies to inspire more stuff directly though. It can be done, the Brendan Fraser Mummy gets the tone while being very much it’s own thing.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(05-26-2019, 07:24 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: God I wish somebody could talk Connery and Hackman into gracing the screen for one more gig. Even if it's just a cameo in a Marvel movie. I don't give a fuck. I don't care if Ford makes these till he's 100. As long as the movie gives a reason for that to be plausible..

They could use better films to end their career, for sure. Connery turned down a cameo for CRYSTAL SKULL, so that tells you how done he is. Sadly, I don’t think he’s well enough to do any cameo these days now that he needs a caretaker. Dunno how Hackman is, but I can imagine he’s better off retired too. Too bad. I really do miss them and wish they were killing it today on screen like their peers Caine, Eastwood, Dench, etc.
Hackman at least is keeping himself busy with such old man pursuits as writing historical fiction about pirates and the Civil War. Nothing wrong with quitting while you’re ahead.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(05-26-2019, 03:25 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: CAN the Roger Moore equivalent of an Indy actor exist? Someone who plays it identifiably as Indy but without being a Ford imitation.

I love the Indy films, I'm not a particular fan of the Bond films, but I think, on paper, there's less to Indiana Jones than there is Bond. Moore's doing a spin on a literary character who existed independently of the films, whereas a hypothetical new spin on Indy would be a conscious attempt to be different from Ford's original Indy, one of the most beloved film characters of all time.
A grown up Tom Holland would probably make a great Indy. I'd also love to see Jamie Bell take something like that on, he's not as laconic and certainly not as movie-star handsome as Ford, but I think he's got star quality.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I suspect by now Connery is "upsettingly" old. Like, perhaps it's better we don't get him, old.

While Indy isn't a great "character", and the role really isn't much more than the hat and the whip, you also can't easily replace Fords charm, his angry pissed off dad face, and his beautiful, wonderful, excellent rubber face.
I had the privilege of seeing TEMPLE OF DOOM at the Prytania in New Orleans this morning. Screen was huge, sound was loud. I love, love this movie.
(05-27-2019, 06:12 AM)Evi Wrote: A grown up Tom Holland would probably make a great Indy. I'd also love to see Jamie Bell take something like that on, he's not as laconic and certainly not as movie-star handsome as Ford, but I think he's got star quality.

I feel like this post is flagrant Overlord bait. Tom Holland (who is 23, btw. Already grown up) and Jamie Bell are both only a little over 5'6".
(05-27-2019, 06:12 AM)Evi Wrote: A grown up Tom Holland would probably make a great Indy. I'd also love to see Jamie Bell take something like that on, he's not as laconic and certainly not as movie-star handsome as Ford, but I think he's got star quality.

Errr.... what?  Holland can still play a shrimp-y high schooler and Jamie Bell probably isn't manly enough to play Indy's sidekick,let alone Indy.

The Holland casting for Nathan Drake was received a joke, now you want to cast him as Indy?

**Just saw fafhrd's post ... LOL

(05-26-2019, 03:22 PM)Nooj Wrote: I don't think he has much more than that as a 'movie star' though... even though I thought he was really good in Spartacus.

You watched that show? I didn't think you watched ANY TV.
it’s been a longo time!

also, it’s too late now, but Kyle Chandler would’ve been great as an Indy-type character
Variety ambushed Ford when he attended the grand opening of the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge park in Disneyland, asking him about various things.  His comment on INDY 5 was short but at least positive.

Quote:“I’m looking forward to it,” he said. “Things are coming along well.”
I hope he's being honest!

I'd bet he probably is. He's a fairly no-BS guy.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Indy and Marion are in Paris on their honeymoon when they happen by a cabaret run by well-known singer, Willie Scott. Willie's (and maybe/maybe-not Indy's?) daughter Jeanna Scott (Emma Stone) is performing on stage, who soon goes missing trying to help a close friend in trouble: former University of San Francisco professor of antiquities and alleged US fugitive criminal Wan Li (Short Round). Special appearances by JFK, Fidel Castro, John Coltrane, Rod Serling, the Dalai Lama and the Titan Intercontinental Ballistic Missile.
Include a throwaway line about Mutt dying in a drag race in Modesto.
Mutt who?
Start the movie with Indy and Marion divorced.

It's just funnier that way.