Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion
From what I know, the story meetings for previous Indy movies consisted of Lucas, Spielberg and their potential screenwriter (though not always all three) spitballing ideas, resulting in an outline that the screenwriter would go off and turn into a script.

Perhaps I am reading into things, but this comes off more as Lucasfilm processing INDY 5 through a committee.  It evokes the image of an assembly line.  Which I am sure is the reality of how Disney tentpoles are made, but I was kind of hoping Spielberg, with his clout, would get carte blanche with this one and be able to develop it outside "the system".  Perhaps this development is in fact the Beard's initiative, but I take it as a signal that he has become less focused on the project rather than more.
If they're actually going through with this, just de-age him MCU style.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
I am totally against this idea for reasons I've already stated, but for the sake of playing ball I would say that whatever Scorsese pulls off with THE IRISHMAN is probably going to be the more relevant reference point.
With Ingruber right there?
(10-04-2018, 02:07 PM)fatherdude Wrote: Perhaps this development is in fact the Beard's initiative, but I take it as a signal that he has become less focused on the project rather than more.

I don't think there's any question of that. If Spielberg was really focused on this project, it would be filming next year instead of WEST SIDE STORY.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Right or wrong, my impression is whatever was driving Spielberg to do Indy 5 has died down and he's just going through the motions till the inevitable press release announcing a new director and actor taking over.

He could will this into existence if he felt like it and.. I just get the vibe he's already moved on.

The real ending to Big...
That is, unfortunately, kind of my sense, as well.

There was a time when I truly thought he felt he NEEDED to do the movie to make up for CRYSTAL SKULL, but I'm not sure of that anymore.

I think Disney had better think very carefully about bringing on new filmmakers and a new actor after the reception of SOLO, too.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(10-04-2018, 02:54 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: Right or wrong, my impression is whatever was driving Spielberg to do Indy 5 has died down and he's just going through the motions till the inevitable press release announcing a new director and actor taking over.

He could will this into existence if he felt like it and.. I just get the vibe he's already moved on.

He's an old man.  Directing on-location action films is a young, hungry director's game.  

Let Ingruber, Pratt, or Elba take-over and do a reboot with a new director.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
I don't want an INDY movie without Ford/Spielberg - it's okay to let stories go! - but SOLO had a lot of things working against it, and I think chief among them was the fact the audience saw that character get murdered with a lightsaber two years earlier. Sort of takes the fun out of an adventurous origin story.
boycott
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(10-04-2018, 04:54 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: I don't want an INDY movie without Ford/Spielberg - it's okay to let stories go! - but SOLO had a lot of things working against it, and I think chief among them was the fact the audience saw that character get murdered with a lightsaber two years earlier. Sort of takes the fun out of an adventurous origin story.

Yes, also that Solo was an unneeded origin story, rather than a proper Han Solo movie.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
I agree with others that the possible "writers room" bit with Disney is at least somewhat disconcerting. I tend to think Spielberg wields more than enough power on this to squash ideas that he flatly rejects, so I'm not exactly terrified but it's something to consider. On the other hand having a lot of voices on this isn't necessarily the worst possibility when it comes to creating a film that satisfies diehard Indy fans while being a smashing success for Lucasfilm. In some ways I think the pressure is now higher on this because of what happened to "Solo" earlier this year. Every Lucasfilm production has more riding on it at the moment than they did only six months ago. So with that in mind I'm tending to think that Disney knows that a syndrome of "too many chefs" is something to avoid, which is why I imagine Frank Marshall refused to simply call the location where this is taking place a "writers room."

Based on a few different interviews with Spielberg in the past twelve months during press blitzes for "The Post" and "Ready Player One" it seemed by the way he talked that at the very least a general outline had been established and he and Harrison Ford were ostensibly rather enthusiastic about key elements. That's a positive sign even if it's not a slam dunk argument for the film turning out to be golden. Something must have happened in firming up the screenplay because the project stalled and David Koepp was replaced, perhaps largely because he's busy with his own projects for the foreseeable future.

The fact that the film was once again delayed a year does not conclusively mean that Spielberg's heart is not in it. Sure, it might mean that, but couldn't people surmise that if Spielberg said, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" and rushed this into production when, apparently, their ducks are not presently all in a row yet that *that* meant his heart was not in it, rather than the opposite? My reading of the situation is that Disney and Spielberg want to nail this for their own respective reasons, so the collaboration between parties makes sense from the angle that firstly Disney wants a film that wraps up the Ford-as-Indy/Spielberg-helmed era to launch into their inevitable rebooting of the franchise down the road and Spielberg wants to end his era of Indiana Jones, at least, on a significantly stronger note than "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Last thing I'd say at this point in time is that I'm guessing the film does indeed happen. In fact, if "Episode IX" is in any way a disappointment or even perceived as such, the pressure on Disney to deliver hugely with this--which, while Lucasfilm, is at least a distinct franchise apart from the "Star Wars" brand--will be almost incalculable. Maybe that leads to a disastrously messy production, or maybe it leads to them, while assisting Spielberg, also giving him some sort of relative free rein to try to effectively 're-"Last Crusade" this whole film series--by which I mean, make a logical and exceedingly solid concluding chapter, which of course "Last Crusade" definitely is.
Something of a "soft update" from Harrison Ford:

http://theplaylist.net/harrison-ford-ind...-20181109/

Quote:Harrison Ford was recently honored by the SAG-AFTRA Foundation along with actress-singer Lady Gaga. Ford received the Artists Inspiration Award. The award honors those who use their status to advance humanitarian and philanthropic causes. However, when Variety caught up with Ford on the red carpet, the topic of discussion wasn’t any charitable efforts. No, it was all “Indiana Jones 5.”

When asked about the status of ‘Indy 5,’ which was recently delayed until 2021 after Disney decided to move in a new direction with the script, Ford didn’t give too much of an update. “…We’ve got a script in production that we are all very excited about, and [I’m] looking forward to it,” said the legendary actor.

Of course, the main source of debate about “Indiana Jones 5,” which will see Steven Spielberg return one last time to the franchise, is whether or not the film will introduce another actor to take over the mantle. This was attempted in the last film, ‘Crystal Skull,’ with Shia LaBeouf in line to take over the franchise. However, once that film fizzled out with fans, any future plans were scrapped.

Most recently, in a bit of fan-casting and speculation, the name Chris Pratt gets thrown around as a possible replacement for Ford. Obviously, as he’s shown in films like “Jurassic World” and “Guardians of the Galaxy,” Pratt has the sort of Harrison Ford-esque style down. But when Ford was asked on the red carpet about Pratt’s possible involvement, the actor scoffed and as he walked away said, “I think it’s him or me.”

So, fans of the ‘Indiana Jones’ franchise shouldn’t expect a surprise Chris Pratt announcement anytime soon, if ever.

As of now, “Indiana Jones 5” has the expected release date of July 9, 2021. But considering that’s more than two years away, a lot can change. So, we’ll just have to wait and see.