Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion
We had a movie where the protagonist's name is Harry Hole come out just last year!
It's hoe-lay!
After RAISE THE TITANIC flopped hard and SAHARA became a financial and critical debacle that actually saw Cussler go to court to sue the producers, I think we're done with Dirk Pitt and all Cussler adaptations.
IIRC a big part of Cussler's case was that Dirk Pitt was autobiographical and he didn't like people thinking of him as McConaughey.
(05-02-2019, 12:51 PM)atomtastic Wrote: IIRC a big part of Cussler's case was that Dirk Pitt was autobiographical and he didn't like people thinking of him as McConaughey.

I always found it amusing that, in every book, Dirk would encounter 'Clive Cussler' doing some random shit.  The man's got an ego, that's for sure.

If memory serves, MM actually went to Cussler directly and got permission to be Dirk Pitt.  MM really wanted to start a Dirk Pitt franchise and worked hard to get Cussler on board (considering he was gunshy after RTT flopped so badly).  It's too bad that it all went south.  I actually kinda like SAHARA, to be honest.
I think Sahara is not bad at all! I mean, its entertaining, not life changing. I enjoyed it! Kinda vaguely remember the plot... civil war-era ship buried in the desert?
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Sahara was significantly better than I expected it to be, but I wasn't expecting much.
(05-02-2019, 11:34 AM)carnotaur3 Wrote: I don't know how "inspiring" a train full of Gold is. Or how it could hold any supernatural or religious powers.

For the purposes of the story, who's to say the train was only carrying gold? Any supernatural or religious artifact could have also been on board, hence why Indy would be looking for it.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Yeah we don't know enough details about what the angle was to really judge it as a concept.

I think I've said it before, but potentially the most interesting thing to come out of this project is going to be ten years from now when all the rejected drafts get leaked and we can compare them.
(05-02-2019, 12:38 PM)atomtastic Wrote: We had a movie where the protagonist's name is Harry Hole come out just last year!

DR. JONES
YOU COULD HAVE SAVED THE ARK
I GAVE YOU ALL THE CLUES
Why not combine Pitt and Jones?  A lost train with Nazi gold, and a document declaring Canada is now part of the United States.

I enjoyed Sahara, and always thought it was the most adaptable of the books. Was disappointed that the Indy-esque rescue of the slave laborers by a UN task force wasn't included, though.
I liked Sahara, and the Cussler books were a guilty read all through high school.

Ranking the Cussler books (I stopped reading when he began co-writing):

1.)Cyclops (Foss Gly was a surprise return villain and this was a lot of fun ... this was the first novel where he really nailed the Pitt "treasure" story formula and abandoned the "bond knockoff" formula that dominated the earlier books)

2.)Treasure (Probably the best of the "treasure quests" ... implausible story, but they all are)

3.)Sahara (Has my fave of the opening flashback chapters ... rip-snorting adventure)

4.)Dragon (horribly xenophobic towards the Japanese, so definitely fit with its time period ... katana fight!)

5.)Night Probe! (First appearance of Foss Gly ... I can't believe I didn't realize it was literally Pitt vs. a pulled-from-retirement James Bond until I re-read it)

6.)Inca Gold (the last of four or five crackling good "treasure hunt" yarns that he put out in the early 90s ... it was downhill from here)

7.)Raise the Titanic (the present-day story is just okay, but the flashback story is goddamn amazing ... easily the second best of the "bond formula" novels)

8.)Iceberg! (Another pretty good non-treasure, "bond formula" story)

9.)The Mediterranean Caper (still a light, breezy read)

___big drop off here__

10.)Vixen 03 (chemical weapon story feels like it belongs in 24 rather than this series)

11.)Pacific Vortex (the first Pitt novel, though I don't believe the first to be published ... kind of a hint of how the stories might have gone if it hadn't become more "treasure" focused ... )

12.)Deep Six (the last of the original "bond formula" feeling novels, and it's really rough ... super happy the series switched to being more "treasure" centric after this one because this was a boring re-tread).

13.)Flood Tide (the Great Lakes was an unexpected and interesting setting, but this feels like a repeat of prior works, particularly Treasure)

14.)Valhalla Rising (not good, but better than the others below it on this list)

15.)Atlantis Found (neo Nazis made for interesting villains, but the entire plot is preposterously dumb, which is saying a lot for this series)

16.)Trojan Oddysey (embarrassing ... lot of continuity errors if you're a long-time reader.  

17.)Shock Wave (this is, in my opinion, the "jump the shark" entry for the series.  Immediately following the readable Inca Gold, it's a disaster on every level).

I've never read any of the Dirk Pitt novels, but I do have a fondness for the RAISE THE TITANIC film, which I think is unfairly maligned. Gorgeous John Barry score, impressive miniature effects, and Richard Jordan proving that he could/should have been a more frequent leading man in bigger films.
(05-02-2019, 05:55 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I've never read any of the Dirk Pitt novels, but I do have a fondness for the RAISE THE TITANIC film, which I think is unfairly maligned.  Gorgeous John Barry score, impressive miniature effects, and Richard Jordan proving that he could/should have been a more frequent leading man in bigger films.

Read them all and provide us with your rankings.

Read them all many times over the years. Can't really do proper rankings, but:

1. Dragon. Something about the nuclear terrorism angle that really works. Plus the evil Japanese empire and a lost nuclear bomb.

1. Raise the Titanic. Brilliant historical story, treasure hunting, cold war drama, deep underwater salvage AND Russian spy hijinks!

1. Deep Six. Fantastic plot that centers in on the president being under control by the russians!

1b. Night Probe. What a story, leading to a secret British mission to try and find a lost document to reclaim Canada!

1b. Cyclops. Great rambling plot that jumps from lost airships to cold war in cuba to secret moon warfare!

1c. Vixen 03. Great tension, Lost doomsday weapon winds up accidentally in the hands of a madman attacking American cities. Battleship on the Potomac!

2. Sahara. Terrific escaped-prisoners in the desert sequence, along with an amazing pitched gun battle in and around the old fort

3. Iceberg. Great premise, but slows down a bit.

4. Treasure. Love the opening historical setup, and the modern chase is great, but I always felt the too-theatrical ending was a bit weird.

5. Inca Gold. Good story, but felt like it rambled on a bit too much.

6. The Mediterranean Caper

It's a damn shame Clive Cussler has stopped any further movies, I enjoyed Sahara and I think a good number of these books could be made into fantastic blockbusters.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
(05-02-2019, 07:22 PM)Jones Wrote: Read them all many times over the years.  Can't really do proper rankings, but:

1. Dragon.  Something about the nuclear terrorism angle that really works.  Plus the evil Japanese empire and a lost nuclear bomb.

1. Raise the Titanic.  Brilliant historical story, treasure hunting, cold war drama, deep underwater salvage AND Russian spy hijinks!

1. Deep Six.  Fantastic plot that centers in on the president being under control by the russians!

1b. Night Probe.  What a story, leading to a secret British mission to try and find a lost document to reclaim Canada!

1b. Cyclops.  Great rambling plot that jumps from lost airships to cold war in cuba to secret moon warfare!

1c. Vixen 03.  Great tension, Lost doomsday weapon winds up accidentally in the hands of a madman attacking American cities.  Battleship on the Potomac!

2. Sahara.  Terrific escaped-prisoners in the desert sequence, along with an amazing pitched gun battle in and around the old fort

3. Iceberg.  Great premise, but slows down a bit.

4. Treasure.  Love the opening historical setup, and the modern chase is great, but I always felt the too-theatrical ending was a bit weird.  

5. Inca Gold.  Good story, but felt like it rambled on a bit too much.

6. The Mediterranean Caper

It's a damn shame Clive Cussler has stopped any further movies, I enjoyed Sahara and I think a good number of these books could be made into fantastic blockbusters.

I will allow you your opinion for most of these, but Treasure and Sahara below Deep Six?

Deep Six is the goods, a great abduction mystery and then the long play of the president working to undermine the government while Pitt and co try to hunt down the eeevil doctor. Love the first part of Treasure, but the second part goes on a bit with the family of evil and the televised invasion of the U.S border. I might have been a bit too hard on Sahara.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
"Hmm, I wonder what's going on in the Indiana Jones thread... O-kay."
I remember picking up a copy of Inca Gold with no prior context for what Cussler/Pitt books were about, and I was absolutely delighted by the first fifty pages, which have a giant underwater sinkhole (kind of an Oak Island type deal), a villains who shows up in a submersible and declares himself 'a great rapist of women' and a stodgy old professor type, who decries the villain as a 'thief of antiquities!' I think he ends up being an evil imposter too. When Pitt shows up to fight the bad guy, his kiss off line is something like 'this is for all the women you've molested!'

It's a good time. I read about half a dozen more, before basically deciding they were all essentially the same book. But it really spoke to the thirteen year old in me, which was fortuitous, as I was about thirteen at the time. It's been a while, I could read another one of those.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(05-02-2019, 10:15 AM)fatherdude Wrote: I am disappointed to see so many of you eager to give up on a Ford-headlined INDY 5 before he and Spielberg officially throw in the towel.  You do realize replacing Indy with a young actor is going to happen regardless?  This project is supposed to be about the opportunity to end the "original recipe" series on a shot that doesn't see Shia LaBeouf walking out of a church.  There will be plenty of time to fan cast the shitty reboot after Spielberg redeems what he broke, or at least takes his best swing at it.

Yeah, I'm with ya. I do not understand it, particularly as Ford's performance was probably the best element of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Thought it then, think it even more strongly now: Ford "brought it" back to the role, and it's a worthwhile effort on his part. Sure, he's now over a decade older than he was then, but whatever. Give me Ford/Spielberg/Williams/Kahn one more time. 

Someone else can take on the role at some point in the 2020s--probably an actor nobody's heard of today.
Alden Ehrenreich?
Ha, was thinking of that joke as I wrote that final sentence. Spielberg's pick!
As much as I don't want Koepp, he was definitely Spielberg's guy, while his two successors have been from the Disney stable. Don't know what kind of conclusions one can really draw from that, but it probably means something.
It means that, in the absence of Lucas being a singular creative head driving the project's conception, the New Lucasfilm (i.e. Disney) has filled the void, and Spielberg's probably too busy on WEST SIDE STORY to really vet the writers or select "his" next guy (or gal).
I know INDY 5 is inevitable but I really hope Spielberg & Co. step up their game for it since this will probably be Ford's swansong with the character.

As for Cussler's Pitt novels, they are modern day adventure pulp in the vein of Doc Savage and that's it. They're fun breezy reads but ultimately interchangeable with each other at this point.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Well, whatever else is or is not happening with this project at the moment, at least Disney is keeping its July 2021 release date firmly set--for now:

http://ew.com/movies/2019/05/07/indiana-jones-5-2021/
It's been pushed back twice already. It will be cancelled before getting pushed again.
I think the release date not switchin' around could mean they may have nailed a storyline idea and retrofitted the action scenes from the previous draft with this one.

Maybe I'm just bullshitin'.
I'll be eligible for retirement before this comes out.
The wonderfully grumpy Harrison Ford: http://twitter.com/TanookiKuribo/status/...1768598528

Don't think Disney is signing along with that but as for the "real" Indiana Jones is concerned, sure, why not? Haha.
(05-24-2019, 05:51 PM)noirheaven Wrote: The wonderfully grumpy Harrison Ford: http://twitter.com/TanookiKuribo/status/...1768598528

Don't think Disney is signing along with that but as for the "real" Indiana Jones is concerned, sure, why not? Haha.

I love Harrison Ford.
Just effortless.

Harrison Ford is the kind of bloke you’d love to bump into in a boozer and just get absolutely wellied with.
Honestly, I hope his contract somehow stipulates there will be no more Indy films after him.
(05-24-2019, 06:28 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: Just effortless.

Harrison Ford is the kind of bloke you’d love to bump into in a boozer and just get absolutely wellied with.

He'd prefer you pass the bong.

I have no frame of reference for that. I choose to bump into him in a boozer.