Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
INDIANA JONES and you're actually fucking serious pre-release discussion
(01-18-2021, 07:09 PM)bradito Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 06:53 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: What happens if you need 24 specific actions? Do they sell upgrades, or do you have to buy a second protagonist?
I mean, then you end up with Return of the King.
Does each protagonist require their own ending/epilogue sequence?
Usually when you have two protagonists, they're together for most of the story, so they don't each get a separate ending. Rare examples are "Superman III" and BvS, where the protagonists are opposing each other for most of the film but ultimately end up working together extremely late in the story. Then they get separate sendoffs. Or die.

But everyone hates those movies, so it's best to stick to the formula.
Does this mean that Columbo is the antagonist in his own movies? He almost never shows up less than 20 minutes in.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I'd go along with that!
I'd like your take on the Richard Donner joint TIMELINE, brad. The movie has some major dual protagonist weirdness going on with Paul Walker and Gerard Butler. They want the appearance of a Luke/Han dynamic, but the plot mechanics don't support it. The antagonist: Medieval stuff?
Oh man, it's been so long since I've seen that ruination of a Crichton work. I'd imagine that they have a hero and sidekick dynamic, like Luke and Han (although Han also has a sidekick).

Doesn't one of them stay behind so they won't have to see "Timeline" ever be released?
From what I recall, Paul Walker gets weirdly sidelined in the climax, then Butler morphs into the default hero, and it just sort of ends.

The trailer is a hoot. Better than the full movie.

https://youtu.be/bol117Vce_A
A recent remark by Mangold has gotten some attention. Read into it what you will.
By "take place," I hope it's not much more than a scene or two.

Indy spending a great deal of time in a major, urban city of the 1960s is not particularly what I'm looking for. Put him in environments where the time period is easier to ignore.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Yeah. After coming off an installment filmed exclusively in the U.S., this one needs to lean hard on the globe-trotting, or be set mainly in international locales. I could see Indy spending a single scene in a New York museum, but I'd be looking askance at it as a primary location.

The Darabont version of Indy 4 did briefly send Indy to New York during its Hitchcockian man-on-the-run section, where Indy had to collect an item from Grand Central Station. Something along those lines would be cool.
I could perhaps see Indy looking for something in abandoned subway tunnels.
Random thought: starting a (re)-watch of the X-Files and Duchovny would have made a great transition Jones had they decided to do a Bond back in the late 90s. His Mulder has the cynical optimism, pathos and chivalrous sexual charisma of Indy in spades. Is he too old for it now? Haven’t seen him since Californication, so I guess the answer is yes.
Now that's an interesting notion, but Duchovny strikes me as too naturally suave/stylish for the part. Ford brought a rough-hewn workaday vibe to the role that I just don't see him pulling off.
That might be a function of the 90s FBI be-suited bit. Man spends his days condescended to in a basement, occasionally escaping with his sidekick/damsel to bring down the tower, after all.  I could totally see him doing all of "it's the mileage", "Fortune and Glory, kid" and "He's got a two day head start on you..." from each of the films.
James Mangold: "Today was a wonderful day. I'm so excited about glorious people converging and collaborating to make our film."

https://twitter.com/mang0ld/status/1357545443001987073
I've got a bad feeling about this.
One of those glorious people better be John Williams.
I can tell you it probably ain't Shia Labeouf!
She doesn't necessarily need to be in the movie throughout, but I hope Karen Allen makes an appearance again.
John Rhys Davies showing up again would be very welcome.
(02-05-2021, 10:46 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: John Rhys Davies showing up again would be very welcome.

Love Sallah but you know people would bitch about seeing a white actor playing an Egyptian again. Best steer clear from any controversies.

Plus considering Rhys Davies has made some pretty bigoted comments I don't think Disney would work with him anyways.
Sallah for a quick cameo? Absolutely. As a major supporting player? Naw, that doesn’t sound like anyone would be into it, maybe even Rhys-Davies.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I will place 1,000 dollars on the table that Rhys-Davies won't even be within 3 countries of where this ends up getting filmed.
Sallah should have only remained a one-off character, like Tiger Tanaka. I always disliked how THE LAST CRUSADE rehashed elements from RAIDERS instead of trying to be its own thing like TEMPLE.
I hear you, but on the other hand that would have denied us Sallah's tie, and I'm just not sure I can make do without it.
I can understand retreating to the comforting presence of Sallah and Brody after Spielberg felt so raked over the coals for TEMPLE OF DOOM being so different. Unlike most, I enjoy both characters in LAST CRUSADE.

I don't think we can truly comprehend the extent to which the reaction to TEMPLE OF DOOM really bothered Spielberg.
I like Last Crusade and I think it's good.
It is good!
(02-06-2021, 01:17 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I always disliked how THE LAST CRUSADE rehashed elements from RAIDERS instead of trying to be its own thing like TEMPLE.

CRUSADE is clearly trying to be its own thing though. The main story is about Indy's relationship with his dad which gives it a more character-focused feel that the other sequels never measure up to. It's also got different characters story arcs/ motivations, a different mythology, it offers more varied locales, new dynamic with the female lead and more humor.

Also, what's wrong with having Sallah back? Indy's near his location, so why not bring him into the adventure. They do new things with him this time like interacting with Marcus Brody and having both of them along for the adventure. Why not have some fun with the characters?

I also feel people overrate TEMPLE'S attempts at being different. Sure, I like how they have Indy exploring a different part of the world and whatnot, but the flawed execution with the racism (the monkey brain stuff was cringe-worthy even back in 1984), the thin script, Willie Scott, underdeveloped main artifact, and the abrasive mix of slapstick humor & gross out gags in a story that's supposed to be dark, makes it fall short of the other films for me.
(02-06-2021, 09:51 AM)call me roy Wrote: I will place 1,000 dollars on the table that Rhys-Davies won't even be within 3 countries of where this ends up getting filmed.

An easy bet since Indy 5 won't happen anyway.

The real ending to Big...
(02-06-2021, 03:34 PM)ravi Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 01:17 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I always disliked how THE LAST CRUSADE rehashed elements from RAIDERS instead of trying to be its own thing like TEMPLE.

CRUSADE is clearly trying to be its own thing though. The main story is about Indy's relationship with his dad which gives it a more character-focused feel that the other sequels never measure up to. It's also got different characters story arcs/ motivations, a different mythology, it offers more varied locales, new dynamic with the female lead and more humor.

Also, what's wrong with having Sallah back? Indy's near his location, so why not bring him into the adventure. They do new things with him this time like interacting with Marcus Brody and having both of them along for the adventure. Why not have some fun with the characters?

I also feel people overrate TEMPLE'S attempts at being different. Sure, I like how they have Indy exploring a different part of the world and whatnot, but the flawed execution with the racism (the monkey brain stuff was cringe-worthy even back in 1984), the thin script, Willie Scott, underdeveloped main artifact, and the abrasive mix of slapstick humor & gross out gags in a story that's supposed to be dark, makes it fall short of the other films for me.

I think you could still do the daddy issues stuff without more chases in the desert.
TEMPLE OF DOOM is like the Saturday matinee tradition distilled and freebased by a team of people working at the absolute top of their game. It propels along with a gusto and manic virtuosity that continues to shame modern escapist movies, while being the only Indy sequel that really goes toe-to-toe with RAIDERS in terms of the set pieces. It's also gorgeously photographed and features Ford in objectively peak physical condition as Indy. I can see being grated by its extremes, but come on, the idea that CRYSTAL SKULL's lens-smeared drowsiness merits even an argument for being its match, much less its better, is outhouse rat levels of crazy.
The last 40 minutes of TEMPLE OF DOOM is Spielberg totally unleashed, and it's amazing.
While the script is CRYSTAL SKULL’s cardinal problem, I’d be academically curious to know what gains CRYSTAL SKULL would enjoy if its writing had been improved not one jot, but Spielberg had simply put his combat boots on and shot it like he did the other films. All that river stuff ought to have looked along the lines of DELIVERANCE or the final act of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Instead it compares unfavorably to ALMOST HEROES. I’d be more open to entertaining the whole “It’s no worse that TEMPLE” debate if the movie even looked right, but what the fuck is this?
Jeez, they look so dry.