Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Sterling Sued For $10 Million By His Nemesis

I didn't want to put this in one of the existing Video Game threads, so thought I'd start up a new one.

If anyone here follows Jim Sterling at all, you'll know all about Digital Homicide; the "gaming studio" in which he's been in a long-running conflict (they're also responsible for giving him the nickname "Jim Fucking Sterling Son", after taking one of his first impressions videos for their games, sticking a load of salty text comments over the footage, and releasing it on Youtube). 

Digital Homicide are basically a group of charlatans who spend several weeks on a title and vomit it up on Steam Greenlight for a quick buck. When Stirling started giving them bad press, they tried to release games under other names. They recently released around 17 different crappy titles in a matter of days (some of them simply re-skins of others) on Steam. Then there's the infamous phone call between the studio and Jim.

Kotaku now reports:

Quote:

On March 16, Digital Homicide formally filed a lawsuit in Arizona District Court, accusing Sterling of “assault, libel, and slander” to the tune of $10 million. (The only reason “assault” is listed is because libel is, legally speaking, part of a broader category when filing a lawsuit. Ignore that.)

Digital Homicide claims Sterling, whose real name is James Stanton, has “falsely accused [Digital Homicide] and caused damage” to the company. According to court documents, the company is asking for $2.26 million in direct product damage; $4.3 million in emotional, reputational, and financial distress; and $5 million in punitive damage requests. That adds up to $10.76 million, and it’s nothing to scoff at.

Digital Homicide is representing themselves in the lawsuit, and do not have an attorney. They’re currently crowdfunding support for additional help, saying all donations will be kept anonymous.

Co-founder Robert Romine told me the lawsuit has been in the works for roughly four months, and that Sterling crossed a line with “continued coverage and harassment of every single title we have ever posted”. 

Jim's most recent tweet:

ACrowdfunding for a lawyer.

Gold.
AThese fucking dumbasses. They could have just kept their mouths shut and this would all go away. But no, they keep digging themselves deeper and deeper into a hole.

But the important detail...his last name is STANTON?! I feel so betrayed...
Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Crowdfunding for a lawyer.

Gold.

Yeah, that made me chuckle too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

These fucking dumbasses. They could have just kept their mouths shut and this would all go away. But no, they keep digging themselves deeper and deeper into a hole.

But the important detail...his last name is STANTON?! I feel so betrayed...

Tell me about it. Sad

What will happen to his pog and mask collections?

Ha. They'll probably go to his underling, Chip!

I was listening to his podcast on the way home and they were discussing Lindsay Lohan being allowed to sue Rockstar games regarding a character she claims bears her likeness. "Well, that just opens the gate for any old spurious claim to be put through the courts," was Jim's response with a laugh.

I love gaming. What other hobby can entertain you in so many ways?

190 bucks raised. Heh.

AThat $100 anonymous donation. That was me. I thought I was backing an Interstate 76 revival.

It happens to the best of us, don't sweat it. The prospect of a new Interstate 76 is bound to mess with one's perception.

Once, I thought I was backing a new Tie Fighter but I ended up donating to ISIS.

Holy shit. Here's hoping this gets tossed out, and Jim gets to countersue these fuckwits into oblivion.

I do believe it was Jesus who said, "An eye-for-eye is a badass policy, so get an eyepatch and mount up, son."

I was listening to the Spin-Doctors podcast this morning and Jim mentioned that he's now being sued by someone else for deformation, to which his co-host replied "Yeah, I heard about that". 

Can't seem to find any information on it anywhere. Anyone know?
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I was listening to the Spin-Doctors podcast this morning and Jim mentioned that he's now being sued by someone else for deformation, to which his co-host replied "Yeah, I heard about that". 

Can't seem to find any information on it anywhere. Anyone know?

It's Yolo Army.

Starts at 11:07

LOL

A*facepalm*

I'm starting to get it now...

I'd never thought of the trading card system in the way outlined in that video. Quite an eye opener.

I also somehow missed the fact that Digital Homicide were looking to sue Valve. Good lord.

Sue Valve, and the users that posted negative reviews!

What a mess.

Aaaaand it's over. Dismissed with prejudice.

There's one hell of a Jimquisition on the horizon.

Quote:

Aaaaand it's over. Dismissed with prejudice.

There's one hell of a Jimquisition on the horizon.

...and I can't effing wait...

Praise Chungus, the #1 Kissboy stands tall.

As if there was ever a way these losers could win.

If this was me I'd be devoting a half hour video to simply rubbing it on their faces.

He's finally put up a statement about it.

Quote:

My favorite was DH's point 9 libel about Jim stating there wasn't enough popcorn in the world, only for Jim's lawyer to ask them to prove how much popcorn there was in the world. LOL