Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMW's The Hire Short Films - Clive Owen & a whole lot of Stars!

Speaking as an action fan, i am truly shocked that i didn't know about these short films till a few days ago. And they've been around since 2004!

John Woo, Ang Lee, Wong Kar Wai, John Frankenheimer, Guy Ritchie, Joe Carnahan - Directors

Clive Owen, Forest Whitaker, Mickey Rourke, Madonna, Don Cheadle, Gary Oldman James Brown,Ray Liotta, Robert Patrick, Danny Trejo - Stars

I think we all know who directed this one.

Directed by John Woo

I used to have all eight of these on a hard drive somewhere.  I loved them.  Need to revisit them.

This is a blast from the past.  My favorite was the Ang Lee one.  Loved Mychael Danna's score, and the car chase staged as an elaborate dance number.  And the hulk tease, even though people might have mixed feelings about that in retrospect.

AOh man, you only discovered these NOW???

I was nuts about these back in the day. Too bad they didn't keep making them.

My least favorite one was probably the Ang Lee one. I appreciated what he was going for... I just didn't think it worked very well.

I miss Tony Scott. Why did he have to leave us?

AI loved these things. They were probably too extensive to justify making more of them, but I wish it had become an ongoing series.

Reminds me also of the Mercedes advert done as a fake trailer for a Michael Mann film. "Lucky Star" or something like that - with Benicio del Toro.

ARe-watched these the other day. Still adore Scott's BEAT THE DEVIL, I remember that as the starting point of his "completely out of my mind" -phase. Agree that they should've keep on doing these, with combination of new and established directors. Joe Carnahan's film was also better than I remembered.

I liked the Frankenheimer and Wong Kar-wai films a lot. Thought the others were mediocre to embarrassing.

The Wong Kar-Wai film is probably my favorite, but I'm a Wong Kar-Wai guy.

I think plenty of these are fun. The Woo and Carnahan shorts are decent action bits, and the Tony Scott one is completely off the deep end in a very memorable way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

The Wong Kar-Wai film is probably my favorite, but I'm a Wong Kar-Wai guy.

I think plenty of these are fun. The Woo and Carnahan shorts are decent action bits, and the Tony Scott one is completely off the deep end in a very memorable way.

I'd agree with all of this with the exception that I'm not sure if Wong Kar Wai's is my favorite.

The only one I didn't really like at all was Ang Lee's.  I appreciated what he was going for, but it all ended up feeling really flat.

I enjoy the stupidity of the Guy Ritchie one.  Anything that gave Owen a chance to be silly had me (love that last freeze-frame of his goofy smile at the end of Beat the Devil).

Heheheh, I even thought the Inarritu one was good.  I wonder what I'd think of it now... but I thought Owen and Skarsgård sold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

Reminds me also of the Mercedes advert done as a fake trailer for a Michael Mann film. "Lucky Star" or something like that - with Benicio del Toro.

This ad upset some people.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2002/ju...dvertising

A[quote name="Subotai" url="/community/t/155396/bmws-the-hire-short-films-clive-owen-a-whole-lot-of-stars#post_4076117"]

This ad upset some people.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2002/ju...dvertising
[/quote]

Thanks for unearthing that. Interesting to see with hindsight that we're more exposed to films barely hiding the fact they are essentially advertising product (GI Joe, Transformers, Angry Birds, Force Awakens...kidding) as the main feature than insidious advertising blurring the lines as the article writer feared in 2002.

As to Mann's motivations, questioned in the article, money I am sure played a part. Possibly also the fact he seems to be a car nut played into it. He even has his own branded Hot Wheels toy.
AMann also kept the rights to develop the story into a feature film, which would be interesting. A guy whose good luck draws bad luck? I wonder if he has a screenplay lying around his office...

"Luck can run out, you know? That can be arranged."

Reminds me of an exchange from Miami Vice

"Once I had a fortune, it said: "Leave now. Life is short. Time is luck"."

"You got assets somewhere? Insurance?"

"Why?"

"Things go wrong. The odds catch up. Probability is like gravity: you cannot negotiate with gravity. One day... one day you should just cash out, you know? Just cash out and get out."