Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (2017)
AI don't mind the design but it's a slightly odd direction to go in. The whole trailer had a very 70's vibe to it.

I'm more bothered about the idea of another timeline gap filling prequel setting. It would be nice for Star Trek to be something that looks to the future again.

That saucer section looks like a salad spinner.

AThe effects look more or less fine to me. Sure, it's lower-grade CGI, but it's still rendered well. Attractiveness matters more to me than whether or not it's "convincing."

You guys are acting as though they showed N64 footage. It looks better than the CGI we got on BATTLESTAR.
A[quote name="Stale Elvis" url="/community/t/155419/star-trek-discovery-2017/30#post_4105908"]Regardless of who designed it back in the 70s, 70s cool retro only looks good when it looks good - and I'm alone in thinking that this new starship looks like ass.[/quote]

No, no you're not. They're going to have to make the whole show aesthetic fugly for that odd delta wing look to fit in.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

The effects look more or less fine to me. Sure, it's lower-grade CGI, but it's still rendered well. Attractiveness matters more to me than whether or not it's "convincing."

You guys are acting as though they showed N64 footage. It looks better than the CGI we got on BATTLESTAR.

No, it really isn't, it looks like ENTERPRISE and VOYAGER, which were godawfully cartoony. Has to be an animatic or the roughest of temps.

A[quote name="Paul C" url="/community/t/155419/star-trek-discovery-2017/50#post_4106130"]I'm more bothered about the idea of another timeline gap filling prequel setting. It would be nice for Star Trek to be something that looks to the future again.[/quote]
I think we can blame TNG giving Roddenberry free reign to go all-out with his future utopia for that. There's only so far you can push that and still remain relatable to normal human beings.

I dunno, they got a lot of milage out of the TNG era before the wheels fell off.

I think the problem is that it's hard to pick up directly after Voyager without it feeling like a throwback, but if you push further into the future then yeah you're in danger of it starting to feel disconnected from reality. I guess going back into the past is one way of getting around that. But two pre-TOS series and a pre-TOS alternate universe film series feel to me like pushing it a little.

A[quote name="commodorejohn" url="/community/t/155419/star-trek-discovery-2017/50_50#post_4106220"]
I think we can blame TNG giving Roddenberry free reign to go all-out with his future utopia for that. There's only so far you can push that and still remain relatable to normal human beings.[/quote]

Writers stopped following Roddenberry's rigid utopia thing after a season or two when he was becoming less involved in production, so I doubt setting it further in the future would have been a detriment to human characters.

DS9 certainly had no problems pushing against the perceived perfection of humanity...and Voyager's ills had more to do with not embracing the concept/scattershot writing.

AI am not a fan of that ship. I get that the bottom looks like the arrowhead from the badges, but it scans as a Klingon ship to me.

Klingon ships are cool....this new Starship design is also cool.

I like it as well. Gets the, almost retro look down very well.

CGI also looks fine to me. Hardly worthy of derision

I feel like...in today's climate, you can either have a Star Trek show that's cheap with maybe not the best visuals but because it's not expensive is able to tell brave and interesting stories. Or really good CG that costs a fortune so they play it safe and for mass appeal and you end up with the newest films.

Not a huge fan of the look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

Writers stopped following Roddenberry's rigid utopia thing after a season or two when he was becoming less involved in production, so I doubt setting it further in the future would have been a detriment to human characters.

Y'think? I really believe Piller pushed it very hard all through his tenure, just made it mainstream-acceptable by doing the character focus aspect. Sure, we lost the few GR things I liked like the casual vegan/vegetarianism to Jeri Taylor going out of her way to put meat into her scripts, but the no-conflict thing really is all over TNG and usually does its best to ruin things for me.

I think that when the evolved human thing gets dropped occasionally in TNG (like the implied corporate dogeatdog with Shelby regarding Riker's job), everybody loves it and nobody questions it, but then we go back to supposedly being enlightened when dealing with other cultures.

I think what they discarded after getting GR mostly out of the way was the seriously-dated feel, settling more for a slightly-dated feel instead of embracing modernity ... it was a middle of the road  thing that embraces playitsafe but also condemned a lot to mediocrity, so you'd get great concepts that were rendered mundane, like the dyson sphere or the 'warp drive damaged space' thing. And on the production side you'd have Berman flattening out what should have been kickass stuff like the Picard DIEHARD on Enterprise show with yet another lousy score, when what they needed was something with TOS or at least TIN MAN level melodic dramatics.

Wolfe's concept for a fall-of-fed show that morphed into ANDROMEDA is probably the only far-future TREK that would appeal to me, as I find all of the magic box tech like replication to be bad story hindrances (in fact when they were looking for environment issue shows - a process that ran from season 4 up till that warp drive ep I mentioned - I pitched a 'replication is bad and tearing a hole in spacetime thing with the hope that they'd have to go all retrograde and actually be able to run out of supplies again. Also pitched a 'space junk' show about a planet that can't get into orbit anymore because of all the crap they have left up there in LEO, which they thought would be too depressing.)

Geez, now I gotta open the bottom drawer and go to the back where the old TNG specs and pitches are buried ...

I really dig the profile of the new ship, but damn its ugly from above/below.  There's something visually off-putting about an huge arrow "pointing" into a circle.  It like this dynamic thing that's been blunted.  Not suggesting they get rid of the saucer, they need to adjust the proportions and make the arrow, less of an arrow.

But I can get behind it in a garrish-70s era Star Trek kind of way.  More interested to see what the uniforms look like than the ship.

A[quote name="Codename" url="/community/t/155419/star-trek-discovery-2017/50#post_4106860"]I like it as well. Gets the, almost retro look down very well.

CGI also looks fine to me. Hardly worthy of derision

I feel like...in today's climate, you can either have a Star Trek show that's cheap with maybe not the best visuals but because it's not expensive is able to tell brave and interesting stories. Or really good CG that costs a fortune so they play it safe and for mass appeal and you end up with the newest films. 
[/quote]

I really don't think CGI production levels that replicate the model work of the original films is that expensive to achieve nowadays. Effects like the fly through of Yorktown or major destruction sequences like in Star Trek Beyond are expensive granted, but simple great quality flybys and establishing shots etc can be done on many bedroom PCs these days.

I really hope this teaser is just test footage to show the general aesthetic of the new ship as it looks like a cut scene from a later date xbox360 game.

Watched it several times now and I just can't get behind that ship design. Why oh why couldn't they go with classic movie era ships - that was the Federation at its most grand - proud bone-white vessels cruising against the velvet black of space.

Killjoys, the lot of ya.

I still have a lot of hope for the show- still the right people behind the camera.

Regardless of how you feel about the design of the ship itself, I think the promo needed to create more awe around the ship.  If they couldn't do that, then they should have just released a really great still instead, like STAR TREK '09 did (even though I hate that design, it was a nice shot).

I worked on a sci-fi promo earlier this year, and we worked the one shot of the ship TO DEATH.

AEvery new show always did a promo image of the new ship. This is the first time just using a video demo. YouTube/gif age I suppose.

The shape really is jarring.  Plus the rust color is fuck ugly.

In 2016 I expect my Starships to be streamlined and extra sexy.

A[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/155419/star-trek-discovery-2017/90#post_4107277"]
In 2016 I expect my Starships to be streamlined and extra sexy.  
[/quote]
J.J., is that you?

SEXY.  That's my Starship.  The USS "FUCK YEAH"

AI get it. Since this predates TOS, it should look more primative than the more clean and streamlined 1701 Enterprise. Even the NX ship in the prequel series had a more bulky iron look.
AFinally took a look at the promo clip. It's...not terrible. I get what they're going for, and it's not unpleasant to look at, but it really does scan like a Klingon ship. Awkward.

But heck, it ain't JJ-Trek, so this is all quibbles. Just please bring the goods where writing and characters are concerned, guys.

I just hope I'll get used to it.  A fuck ugly ship that I never get used to, as superficial and stupid as it is, is something that will be tough for me to overlook.

Speaking of which Stock the Next Generation Enterprise is SEXY.

A[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/155419/star-trek-discovery-2017/90#post_4107283"]

SEXY.  That's my Starship.  The USS "FUCK YEAH"
[/quote]
You have awful, awful taste.

On the contrary I have significantly better taste than you do, as I picked the one STO ship that actually cuts the classic Trek silhouette.

Whenever you post just always remember, "Freeman is better than me, Freeman is better than me."  It will help.

AThat ship is okay as a guest ship. I dunno what I would actually prefer. Maybe the Discovery will grow on me once it has better f/x work that makes it feel more grand.

And yeah, that Enterprise-D looks so grand. Very impressive for 1980s television. The remastered HD episodes really show it off.

Which is funny, because the Guardian above is very VERY similar to the Enterprise D.

AIt looks more like what a starship would look like if the Enterprise C and D had a baby.

I still think the Enterprise refit from the films photographs the best from all angles.  The D had a great Front and rear 3/4 views, but suffered from lots of other angles.

You can see them learning this throughout the series as paired back on straight profiles.

The Reliant is pretty great from all angles as well.

I have no problem with an awkward design- I love a lot of "ugly duckling" robots and spaceships, if there's a history behind them it can actually be endearing.  This ship people underestimate.  "She doesn't look like much but she's got it where it counts" kind of thing.

I'll reserve any real judgement until we see some finished shots.  But how far off can that be?  The show is less than 6 months from air.

AThe outside of the Enterprise D is indeed gorgeous. It's the inside that is almost too nice...too fake. The refit movie version is my favorite, followed closely by the TOS and Ben Sisko's pimp hand.

Was a big fan of this fan design, it's such a better redesign than what we got in nu-Trek. In fact it looks like nu-Trek borrowed some of the features, like the engines.

[Image: Enterprise-flies.jpg]
A[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/155419/star-trek-discovery-2017/90#post_4107292"]On the contrary I have significantly better taste than you do, as I picked the one STO ship that actually cuts the classic Trek silhouette. 
[/quote]
Yeah, but it also seems short and chubby. The proportions are terrible.

Are you a fan of Enterprise D?