Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnny Depp Accused Of Domestic Violence

I hope this isn't true, as I've always liked Depp, but, if it is, then fuck him.

Quote:

UPDATED: A judge has granted Johnny Depp’s ex-wife Amber Heard a temporary restraining order until another hearing is held after she accused him of domestic violence, a Los Angeles Superior Court spokesperson told Variety.

The next hearing will be held on June 17.

Heard entered court on Friday morning with a black eye, claiming Johnny Depp physically assaulted her, according to a source. Heard and her lawyer, Samantha Spector, submitted photos as evidence showing bruises that Heard claims Depp inflicted repeatedly throughout their marriage.

Heard said in a sworn declaration that Depp threw her cellphone at her during a fight on Saturday, striking her cheek and eye.

“During the entirety of our relationship, Johnny has been verbally and physically abusive to me,” Heard wrote. “I endured excessive emotional, verbal and physical abuse from Johnny, which has included angry, hostile, humiliating and threatening assaults to me whenever I questioned his authority or disagreed with him.”

Law enforcement officials told Variety, however, that investigators found no evidence of an assault last weekend in Los Angeles, when the police responded to a domestic dispute on May 21 in downtown L.A.

Heard told investigators Saturday night she did not want to file a criminal report. Depp was not at the scene. The incident took place two nights before the L.A. premiere of Depp’s new movie, “Alice Through the Looking Glass.”

One of the pictures submitted in court Friday shows Amber with a bruise around her right eye. According to TMZ, Amber said she has video of one of the beatings.

Yeah...not good.

A career ending moment quite possibly.

The Disney / blockbuster version of Depp was already a case of diminishing returns, but that shit is likely over with.

Yeah, even if it's not true, this is going to take a chunk out of whatever profit Alice Through The Looking Glass is looking at.

A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/155529/johnny-depp-accused-of-domestic-violence#post_4072950"]I hope this isn't true, as I've always liked Depp, but, if it is, then fuck him.
[/quote]

Get your fresh hot takes.

If it's not true then an already rich actress is smashing herself in the face in order to bilk an altogether filthy rich actor out of a large chunk of his fortune, regardless of the potential harm a high profile case such as this could cause to millions of real victims around the world hoping that people believe their claims. Why would that be preferable?
A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/155529/johnny-depp-accused-of-domestic-violence#post_4072965"]Yeah, even if it's not true, this is going to take a chunk out of whatever profit Alice Through The Looking Glass is looking at.
[/quote]

Fresher, HOTTER takes!

so many hottake mushrooms

I was thinking Pirates 5 was this year, that would've been quite the uncomfortable press tour. Probably still will be.

Tell ya who else should file a restraining order against Depp, blue tinted sunglasses. Johnny, really, you're 52. It's enough already.

He's had a history of anger in his past, smashing hotel rooms and going after paparazzi. I don't think any of his past loves have ever claimed he abused them though. He seemed to straighten out when he had his kids. But recently, since his separation and hooking up with Heard he's seemed unkempt, drunk and slurred in talk show appearances the past few years. Who knows what's really going on. Amber Heard isn't known to be a sweetheart either. It's a fucked up situation either way.

AShe's not pressing charges, but I do think he's done. He was getting old and his movies were getting shittier and the only thing he really had was that "quirky Johnny Depp enigma" that was still appealing to female fans, but that's turned over real quick (as it should).

Chris Brown seems to have survived this sort of thing, but I think that's, unfortunately, a different culture. If Paradis or Ryder or anyone else comes out...he's well and truly fucked.

ohohohoh oh bettany

"just saying"

There's no way to use that phrase without coming off badly.

He's obviously going to stick up for Depp - at least whilst there's no definite proof or a court verdict - as the two of them seem to be really close.

Just saying.

Curious if Vanessa Paradis, his longest relationship, will defend him. Or Wynona Ryder. Or Kate Moss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

She's not pressing charges, but I do think he's done.

Depp was never a superstar until Pirates. He was always a quirky indie actor but now a quirky blockbuster actor. He'll most likely disappear for a few years and eventually have some comeback role. He's too talented not to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

He's obviously going to stick up for Depp - at least whilst there's no definite proof or a court verdict - as the two of them seem to be really close.

Just saying.

I didn't know they were that close.  Or that they were connected socially at all beyond being in the same line of work, really.  Have they worked together on anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I didn't know they were that close.  Or that they were connected socially at all beyond being in the same line of work, really.  Have they worked together on anything?

Thrice on three classics:

The Tourist, Transcendence and Mortdecai.

holy shit

they've been through hell together

A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/155529/johnny-depp-accused-of-domestic-violence#post_4073410"]ohohohoh oh bettany

"just saying"

There's no way to use that phrase without coming off badly.  

[/quote]

I'm putting my foot down here. I can't speak for everyone else, but I have friends, people I've known for years, and if they were accused of anything like this, my first instinct would be to say "No fucking way. They're not that person".

Could I, in that scenario, be proven wrong? Yes. Absolutely. However, I'd just have to fucking settle for being wrong because that person is my friend.

I don't know how strong Bettany's relationship with Depp is, nor will I trivialize it by calling it "bro-code", but I'm not going to give him shit for speaking on his friend's behalf.

Just saying.

Agreed. Bettany at least has a relationship with the guy over the millions of other people who's opinions mean nothing but must be heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

I'm putting my foot down here. I can't speak for everyone else, but I have friends, people I've known for years, and if they were accused of anything like this, my first instinct would be to say "No fucking way. They're not that person".

Could I, in that scenario, be proven wrong? Yes. Absolutely. However, I'd just have to fucking settle for being wrong because that person is my friend.

I don't know how strong Bettany's relationship with Depp is, nor will I trivialize it by calling it "bro-code", but I'm not going to give him shit for speaking on his friend's behalf.

Just saying.

All of that is COMPLETELY fair and natural.  In fact, I went into something very similar in the Ghostbusters 3 thread about how tricky and distressing to see a close friend get attacked.  And I certainly admire that loyalty for friends in difficult times.

But my question is... would you try to defend your friend over something so serious over Twitter and end it with "just saying"?????

Unrelated to the Heard/Depp story... over the past few years, "just saying!" has become associated in my mind with other passive-aggressive phrases like

"Now, I'm not racist, but..." 

"No offense, but..."

"Just bein' honest!"

and other similar flip qualifiers.  It strikes a very peculiar tone that acts like a warning signal to me whenever someone is trying to post about a serious topic (usually a reactive rant).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I didn't know they were that close.

He's been quite vocal about his friendship with Depp in the past, and once described their initial meeting to a journalist as "love at first sight".

ETA: Or what everyone else has said, now I've read the rest of this thread.

AI don't gravitate towards Twitter, Facebook, etc, nor am I a public figure, so no.

Now, if a friend of mine were accused of something and if it so happened that my defense of them would find its way into a public forum, I would have zero issue with that.

As far as him punctuating the tweet with "just saying"? It's an extension of him expressing his disbelief. He might regret it, but again, no issue.
AGlad she's ok. TBH long-term drug and alcohol consumers generally do not make for the best spouses, filthy-rich or not.
AAnd as for Bettany, he may very well have liked to sign off a la The Iron Sheik, but he knows how well that would've gone over.

I have no problem believing Heard (and personally feel that shit did go down), so I'm not about to cast doubt on her or defend Depp, but I must admit that outside of CHUD, I have not been looking around the interwebs for discussions on this subject if for nothing more than to avoid all of the supercilious pontificating that so often comes along with unfortunate news like this.

A"Just saying" is "sorry not sorry"'s asshole twin sibling.

hahahaha, oh right!

sorry, not sorry!

"Oh, well, he's such a nice guy, that doesn't seem like him at all!"  Speaking as someone who was abused over the course of a few years as a child, my abuser was one of the nicest people imaginable in public:  charismatic, active in his community, part of a wide circle of friends who thought the world of him, etc.  He was very careful to make sure that he felt more powerful than the people who saw his less pleasant side, and I was targeted in part because of that perceived power differential.  While I can understand Bettany's desire to defend his friend, his defense relies on a dangerous assumption about abusers, and the "just saying" at the end does feel dismissive.

If Bettany wanted to make the point that people shouldn't rush to judgment before all of the facts are known, which is completely fair, he did it in the worst possible way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

"Oh, well, he's such a nice guy, that doesn't seem like him at all!"  Speaking as someone who was abused over the course of a few years as a child, my abuser was one of the nicest people imaginable in public:  charismatic, active in his community, part of a wide circle of friends who thought the world of him, etc.  He was very careful to make sure that he felt more powerful than the people who saw his less pleasant side, and I was targeted in part because of that perceived power differential.  While I can understand Bettany's desire to defend his friend, his defense relies on a dangerous assumption about abusers, and the "just saying" at the end does feel dismissive.

If Bettany wanted to make the point that people shouldn't rush to judgment before the facts are known, he did it in the worst possible way.

That's all fair. I grew up with a person who was very cruel towards me and people outside the family thought (and continue to think) the world of him. Would they defend him if I were to put his shit out in public? Maybe, maybe not, but they're not my concern. Bettany is telling people what he knows of his friend and I feel that it should be understood that he has a perspective that the rest of us don't, just as Heard has a perspective that he doesn't.

APaul can defend him but I'd Bettany money Depp's guilty.
A[quote name="Bailey" url="/community/t/155529/johnny-depp-accused-of-domestic-violence/30#post_4073581"]Paul can defend him but I'd Bettany money Depp's guilty.[/quote]

Wonder if Johnny's done this before, I'd like to know how Depp the rabbit hole goes.

Paul?

I've never Heard of a Paul in relation to this.

So Depp's a bastard both in his cinematic and domestic lives.

Terrible if true.  He's looked like shit for a couple of years.  I just saw him on Ellen and he was slurring during the interview.