Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STRANGER THINGS (Netflix)
A[quote name="Richard Dickson" url="/community/t/155559/stranger-things-netflix/60#post_4102281"]One man's lazy is another man's affectionate.

ETA:  To elaborate, if the homages had felt cynical or calculated, they wouldn't have worked for me.  But everything about this show was coming from a place of fond remembrance, and the homages felt more in the service of setting tone than of being the be-all end-all of the piece.
[/quote]

Yes. Same reason I don't have much of a problem with Super 8, I think Stranger Things (so far, I just finished episode 2) is familiar but very effective.

Nancy is a jerk-butt.

Super 8's problem is the script, not its homages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

The homages worked for me just fine...but as homages. Homages don't really make a story, which is why it was losing me in the first half (as a story). The love of something tends to work better as a jumping off point than lifting wholecloth. There's nothing wrong with loving that aspect of the show, but it didnt really invest me in the story until it started to infuse its own DNA built from nostalia rather than before when it seemed to be nostalgia as a series of check boxes.

Thanks, this explains my feelings I have towards the show I have so far (I've only seen the first two episodes).

The story had me from the get-go.  The atmosphere had a big part in that, but I genuinely liked all these people from the start and wanted to see what happened to them.

Out of all the nostalgic homage stuff going on, I think my fave bits were whenever Eleven went into the sensory deprivation baths to visit the Upside Down. Really brought back all those fond memories of alien Scarlett Johansson seducing strange Scottish men in her black room then removing their insides from their outsides

If there was one teeny tiny thing that bugged me about this show was the obvious CGI of the creature.   I understand there are budget limitations, but I think it would have been cool if it were practical.   As for the homages, I think they work because they aren't specific (at least to me).   ET is an obvious touchstone but those homages could have been from The Goonies or Stand by Me or any number of "kids on an adventure" films of the 80's.   TFA, on the other hand, was very specific and felt like fan service.

Quote:

See, I feel like them starting from scratch would be foolish. They did a very good job of setting up the characters and potential future arcs with this universe. Its now completely ripe for them to follow through and deliver some excellent drama. This doesn't feel like a gimmicky anthology show to me...maybe in the shaky first half, but these characters are so well received (except maybe Winona) it would be weird to toss them off.

Plus I just want Modine to become an actual character.

Note: I did not like AHS, felt exactly like the gimmicky kind of nonsense that would need a fresh reboot every season. This feels more grounded to me.

I wouldn't mind following these characters for another season if there's a story worth telling.   I would certainly like to get some follow up on that bathroom scene at the end but won't lose sleep if we keep it at a one and done season.

I just think the whole Stephen King/Amblin millieu is pretty rich territory to tell a wide variety of stories.   Whatever the case, the Duffer Bros. have earned my trust and I'm good following them wherever they want to take the series.

My big question from the finale:

What happened when Hop went off in the car with those two government guys?  What was that all about?  I figured he was going to disappear, and was all kinds of suspicious when he appeared at the Christmas party.  But then  he's shown clearly leaving food out for Eleven.  Did those guys tell him Eleven was still alive?  Did they order him to find her, thus his leaving out the food?  Or was that just him being hopeful she was out there somewhere?
AI thought the Upside Down was well realised. Especially effective were the floatation tank bits.

All the kids and the Sheriff were great (and the deputies).

I despised the annoying teens you were supposed to despise.

I liked that all the kids had roles. Jake tooling up was fantastic.
Q
It stuck the landing really well.

But..

There were far too many non-characters taking up space and just being pieces. That really took me out of it. When you can build the cook up to be likeable in such a short time, you could surely invest a little bit of that in other characters

the cg creature was pretty poor too. Better to not really show it at all.

Finally, it never really enthralled me. It was good at what it did, but not really compelling. I only finished it because no-one else was home and it was good junk food TV.

Hoping for a strong S2

My favourite almost character was Harbour's deputy. Loved when he tried to break up that fight. "Oh! My nose!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

My big question from the finale:

What happened when Hop went off in the car with those two government guys?  What was that all about?  I figured he was going to disappear, and was all kinds of suspicious when he appeared at the Christmas party.  But then  he's shown clearly leaving food out for Eleven.  Did those guys tell him Eleven was still alive?  Did they order him to find her, thus his leaving out the food?  Or was that just him being hopeful she was out there somewhere?

This is the issue I'd most like to see addressed in a season two.  What, exactly, is going on with this thread?

Indeed.  And:

Is Will aware that he's puking baby creatures?  How are they related to the rift?  They seemed to be able to tear through when they wanted.  Did El seal the rift or just kill the creature?  How did the Sheriff an the mum get back from the upside down, or was that shit all over the school now?  Does that mean Barb (and everyone else's) bodies were also there?

The bit with the thing crawling out of Barb's mouth was the best moment of pure horror in the series.

And that throws up some questions about the creatures motivations.  It's not "eating" people, but it took things that were bleeding, and did clearly eat some things, but then it's using others as a host.  And what was the big egg thing the sheriff saw that had hatched?
Quote:

I thought the Upside Down was well realised. Especially effective were the floatation tank bits.

I thought that stuff, at least visually, was taken from Under the Skin.

Also, agree above about the ineffectual dad. Another example of the show getting a better handle on things as they made more episodes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

Indeed.  And:

Is Will aware that he's puking baby creatures?  How are they related to the rift?  They seemed to be able to tear through when they wanted.  Did El seal the rift or just kill the creature?  How did the Sheriff an the mum get back from the upside down, or was that shit all over the school now?  Does that mean Barb (and everyone else's) bodies were also there?

The bit with the thing crawling out of Barb's mouth was the best moment of pure horror in the series.

And that throws up some questions about the creatures motivations.  It's not "eating" people, but it took things that were bleeding, and did clearly eat some things, but then it's using others as a host.  And what was the big egg thing the sheriff saw that had hatched?

Yeah, there are a lot of things they could go further into if they choose to do so.  I would hope, though, that a season two doesn't feel like it's just cleaning up the loose ends from season one, but also goes into new territory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

This is the issue I'd most like to see addressed in a season two.

This is where I am NOT compelled by a Season 2:

These threads could become something, but they don't promise much anyway. Like, you can infer that he just made a deal with the government and that's how they got out and saved the child. We know that already. And maybe the meet up was just confirming things were set in stone. Maybe he'll just keep his trap shut and cover up for the government more. But that, in itself, isn't compelling enough for me to hang my hat on Season 2.

As for slug down the sink.. all it really did was make me think of a second sequel to the cult classic Alligator starring Another Creature from Upside Down. Not that compelling. It really just makes me think Season 2 will be a repeat of Season 1. I guess you could say something up with Will being able to go in and out of this reality and into another at random. But again, it's just not compelling enough. The show really needed a clincher of a cliffhanger that would have spawned some interesting avenues, but it sadly kinda doesn't.
AYeah, while there are potential threads to pull on, they seem like a throwback to how genre movies ended back in the day. The threat could come back, that character could still be alive, but this story is done.

Or they are setting up a Talisman riff but that might be too deep a cut.

That's right, it feels like it's Toast. Do I really want a second piece of toast? I know how it tastes already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

This is where I am NOT compelled by a Season 2:

These threads could become something, but they don't promise much anyway. Like, you can infer that he just made a deal with the government and that's how they got out and saved the child. We know that already. And maybe the meet up was just confirming things were set in stone. Maybe he'll just keep his trap shut and cover up for the government more. But that, in itself, isn't compelling enough for me to hang my hat on Season 2.

As for slug down the sink.. all it really did was make me think of a second sequel to the cult classic Alligator starring Another Creature from Upside Down. Not that compelling. It really just makes me think Season 2 will be a repeat of Season 1. I guess you could say something up with Will being able to go in and out of this reality and into another at random. But again, it's just not compelling enough. The show really needed a clincher of a cliffhanger that would have spawned some interesting avenues, but it sadly kinda doesn't.

I don't disagree.  That's why I also said this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

I would hope, though, that a season two doesn't feel like it's just cleaning up the loose ends from season one, but also goes into new territory.

I'm not suggesting - nor do I want to see - the showrunners craft a season that exists only to expound on the things left unexplained in season one.  I just think there are interesting angles there if they wanted to pursue them as part of larger (new) storylines.

AModine recently said Netflix has already decided to do another season. There has been no official announcement so I'm under the impression he wouldn't know unless he'd been asked to return.
AAlso Duffer brothers said if they got a season 2 go ahead it would be a "sequel". Which leads me to believe they are not going down any kind of anthology route. Makes sense given the very open ended nature of the endings.
Quote:

Modine recently said Netflix has already decided to do another season. There has been no official announcement so I'm under the impression he wouldn't know unless he'd been asked to return.

Interesting.  I hope they give him some actual meat on which to chew if he returns.  Perhaps give him some characters with stronger personalities to bounce off of, maybe pissed off superiors or more idealistic "Keys"-types.

Quote:

Also Duffer brothers said if they got a season 2 go ahead it would be a "sequel". Which leads me to believe they are not going down any kind of anthology route. Makes sense given the very open ended nature of the endings.

Debate about the merits of the loose ends notwithstanding, I'm glad this won't be an anthology.  I like the characters a lot, and I'll happily watch the kids go on another adventure while Chief Hopper wearily uncovers another paranormal conspiracy.

I was wondering if anybody caught the Amity Island like Sheriff SUV which is obviously only a 1975 reference!

On the subject of where the show might be headed in a second season, per Variety...

‘Stranger Things’ Finale: Duffer Brothers Talk Cliffhangers, Death and Season 2

A[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/155559/stranger-things-netflix/90#post_4102585"]I was wondering if anybody caught the Amity Island like Sheriff SUV which is obviously only a 1975 reference!
[/quote]

The show was originally set in a coastal town like Amity. Montauk I believe (the original title).
AGood stuff. And the dude playing the teach. I've known that dude over 12 years, done improv comedy with him. Really funny good dude. Also on a side note, he use to date amber who does the voice of Pam on archer. It's a small world
AOh yeah? Well he was great, so great I was sure he was going to die.

That was a really cool thing. I'll watch next season for sure, whatever they come up with. Maybe just for the young cast, they were all really good.

Got a very David Cronenberg acting appearance vibe from Modine. More of him for sure next year.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

Got a very David Cronenberg acting appearance vibe from Modine. More of him for sure next year.

Didn't the creature kill him, though?

I guess he could be in more flashbacks...

Here's a story line for next season: we're all assuming 1-10 are dead. What if they're RIVALS?

Here's a story line for next season: we're all assuming 1-10 are dead. What if they're RIVALS?

What if Jane actually was miscarried, and 1-11 are clones?

Any chance we could use spoiler space on posts in this thread? Can't binge watch like I used to.

A[quote name="bendrix" url="/community/t/155559/stranger-things-netflix/90#post_4102909"]Any chance we could use spoiler space on posts in this thread? Can't binge watch like I used to.
[/quote]

This.
AThe Jim Hopper method: if you don't get what you want, just beat the shit out of everyone until you do.
A[quote name="Ambler" url="/community/t/155559/stranger-things-netflix/60#post_4102556"]Also Duffer brothers said if they got a season 2 go ahead it would be a "sequel". Which leads me to believe they are not going down any kind of anthology route. Makes sense given the very open ended nature of the endings.[/quote]

Hobestly, I think it might be the wrong move to go with second season. Yeah the ending leaves things open, but they feel less like cliffhangers for another season, and more like little teases, winks to the audience. Besides I don't think there's anything here that really necessitates another season. Like, the show would have to be radically different to justify putting these characters through the wringer again
AIt'll be about a recurring 30 year super flu, the survivors have to deal with these enraged infected vampire lord St. Bernard's while hiding out in an abandoned mountain top hotel on their way to see a dead body by the railroad tracks.

Writes itself.