Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychiatrist Discusses His Encounters With "Demonic" Possession

I know nothing about Richard Gallagher, just to get that out there.  He's encountered many people who believed they were possessed by demonic spirits; he thinks most of these people suffered from mental illnesses, but believes some were genuine cases:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery...?tid=sm_tw

He's currently writing a book about one particular case.  He also thinks demons are too tricky to ever get caught on video doing anything particularly supernatural, so, yeah.

He's eyeing that sweet sweet Conjuring money.

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/224774/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
AWhat does Tom Rothman have to do with this?

EVERYTHING!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

He's eyeing that sweet sweet Conjuring money.

Why not? There's no way he's a bigger fraud than the Warrens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

He's currently writing a book about one particular case.  He also thinks demons are too tricky to ever get caught on video doing anything particularly supernatural, so, yeah.

Aren't demons supposed to be the most egotistical of creatures? If they were actually real, and had any sort of powers, they could just show up on CNN and Fox every night and not give a fuck.

What makes you think they aren't doing just that?!

AThat explains Glenn Beck..

Word of warning before you watch this. Be careful, especially if scary stuff isn't really your thing. I live on this stuff and it was still GAHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

What makes you think they aren't doing just that?!

​Can't argue with that, haha!

To be clear, I do not believe in this stuff.  I'll say this much, though: I know a decent amount of people with deep fears of possession and demons, and that includes those who haven't stepped foot into a church in years.  I blame ​The Exorcist.​

I do find the stories/books out there fascinating, though.  Not a "demon" story, but my grandmother was 100% certain that there was a ghost living in her house for decades.  She had tons of stories, mostly about doors and drawers opening by themselves (my aunts had similar stories).  I slept over there many times as a kid with nothing to report.  On a more topical note, an exorcism was once apparently performed on my block.  I never actually talked to the family, and new people live in there nowadays.  The first time I heard the story, I laughed it off because the "source" is known for stretching the truth, but other people on the block have said the same thing.  I know little about it, outside of the fact that it was performed on an older woman who I can't recall ever seeing.

There was a very brief time in grammar school where I thought demons and such might exist.  I very rarely get sleep paralysis, and I had no idea what it was the first time it occurred.  I must've been 14-years-old, and I couldn't move my body while I thought an evil laugh was lurking right behind me.  I thought I couldn't move because I was scared stiff.  After some research, I found out what was happening and just hoped it would never happen again (I think I've had it four times all together, but I would only categorize the first one as scary).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

​I very rarely get sleep paralysis, and I had no idea what it was the first time it occurred.  I must've been 14-years-old, and I couldn't move my body while I thought an evil laugh was lurking right behind me.  I thought I couldn't move because I was scared stiff.  After some research, I found out what was happening and just hoped it would never happen again (I think I've had it four times all together, but I would only categorize the first one as scary).

When I was around eleven, I was sick with a pretty high fever, and hallucinated a demon was sitting on the foot of my bed, laughing at Johnny Carson on the TV. I can remember it clearly to this day.

An interesting follow-up:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index...-exorcism/

I highly recommend a book by Stephen Jay Gould called "The Mismeasurement of Man".

It's about the 19th century belief that different ethnic group had varying levels of intelligence based on the size of their skulls. 19th century scientists did studies where they "proved" this by measuring wheat or rice from the skulls of various ethnic groups.

So Gould re-created those experiments and found no differences whatsoever in the brain capacity of different ethnicities.

Point being that no one is as objective as they'd like to believe, and that can have serious consequences.

A lot of Gallagher's patients probably need proper medication and treatment, not an exorcism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

When I was around eleven, I was sick with a pretty high fever, and hallucinated a demon was sitting on the foot of my bed, laughing at Johnny Carson on the TV. I can remember it clearly to this day. 

​I'm in the same boat.  I vividly remember my experience - scarier than any horror movie I ever watched.