Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GHOSTBUSTERS: ANSWER THE CALL (2016) Post-Release Discussion
Good god why...
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
I am deeply in love with brunette Kristen Wiig.

The heart wants what it wants.

But not another hour of riffing.
(05-22-2020, 07:51 PM)Paul755 Wrote: Good god why...

When the weavers are spinning gold you don't simply step in and stop them. They must be allowed to work their magic.
[Image: confused.gif]
This movie's funny as hell. Come at me.

ETA: Do not actually come at me. I'm not arguing about this. The world is big enough for both, people who enjoy fun and people who are wrong.
I don't mean to be a jerk by saying this, but I'm now seriously reconsidering every stance you've ever held on anything.

If I had to choose one comedy to represent the "not funny riffing at the audience" for two hours plague, this is the mascot.
This movie is many things.

Funny is not one of them.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I'm not making it up when I say the only joke I laughed at was the Jaws mayor line, and his reaction to the comparison.
The only part that got a laugh out of me was, I can't exactly remember but it had something to do with Chris Hemsworth. And it was less that it was actually funny and more that it was so stupid it was hard to believe his character was alive, and that they'd actually made him so impossibly dumb in the movie.
The Mike Hat cat bit?
Chris Hemsworth was another in a long line of comedy characters who seem functionally brain damaged. Always gets a laugh out of me.

I'm bummed I didn't enjoy this more because the cast was super game (seriously, I've never seen anyone do ALL the comedy acting without having a single funny line the way McKinnon did), but taking the improv route was a total bust.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(05-23-2020, 11:17 AM)Evi Wrote: Chris Hemsworth was another in a long line of comedy characters who seem functionally brain damaged. Always gets a laugh out of me.

I'm bummed I didn't enjoy this more because the cast was super game (seriously, I've never seen anyone do ALL the comedy acting without having a single funny line the way McKinnon did), but taking the improv route was a total bust.

I pretty much felt the same way too.  I'm not surprised that there's a longer cut out there because it really did feel like there was a lot of plot stuff left out of the final cut of the movie.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Yeah, I think the key to liking the movie is McKinnon. I'm not a fan, so...

Having Wiig and McCarthy play the straight man to McKinnon and Leslie Jones was certainly a choice.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(05-23-2020, 11:25 AM)Mangy Wrote: Having Wiig and McCarthy play the straight man to McKinnon and Leslie Jones was certainly a choice.

Except, when they start doing improv stuff and suddenly Wiig and McCarthy revert to their regular wacky personas, because this film has absolutely no idea who its characters are.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
My...

blog?

https://bartcave.wordpress.com/2019/03/2...alization/
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
I have to say, I'm not looking for a 3 1/2 hour cut of any comedy.
Early in the shoot, McKinnon was performing her character with her Russian accent. That's how little planning there was.
Remember "writing?"
(05-23-2020, 11:47 AM)atomtastic Wrote: I have to say, I'm not looking for a 3 1/2 hour cut of any comedy.
This is Spinal Tap has a 4-hour workprint... I adore that movie and I don't want to watch that.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
On the other hand, I would totally watch a 4+ hour version of Aykroyd's original draft with Irishman technology to deage Aykroyd and a totally CGI John Belushi as Venkman.
I adore McKinnon, but her talent is pretty much wasted here.

Hell, as I wrote somewhere upthread, all four women are very talented. This movie does nothing to convince skeptics of that, though.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
McKinnon is such a WEIRD case because she's SO god damn hilarious on SNL skits, but then when it comes to movies it's like she's dead set on thinking "OK I'm NOT going to be funny, I'm just going to be WEIRD. My focus is going to be being as odd as humanly possible."
McKinnon is on fire in "Rough Night."
I forgot she was in ROUGH NIGHT

I forgot ROUGH NIGHT

I saw it in theaters!

I enjoyed it in the moment... but wished I'd seen GIRLS TRIP in theaters instead!
McKinnon's Aussie accent is everything.
(05-23-2020, 11:42 PM)bradito Wrote: McKinnon's Aussie accent is everything.

Errrrrrr ....

Everything what exactly Brad?

I've listened to this twice and I still have no idea what this is supposed to be.

Content or what it's supposed to sound like.

This is the very first comment.

"I'm Australian, and I have no clue what she is asking for ... we never would call a pizza a pie ... we don't eat ferns ... snags are sausages I got that one ... cardoon ... no clue. Beets ... we call them beetroot ..."

So even the people that joke was designed for doesn't work.
I've been seeing meth addicts at work today making more sense.
Were the meth addicts co-workers, management or other?
Customers looking for more meth.
(05-24-2020, 02:49 AM)bradito Wrote: Were the meth addicts co-workers, management or other?

Yes