Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympics - Summer 2016 - Rio

So yeah, let's open up a thread to talk about this imminent disaster.

Personally, I love the Olympics and everything that it theoretically stands for, so I generally enjoy watching as much as I can whenever it's on.  I like the Winter Olympics more, but there are certain events in the Summer games that are hard not to enjoy: swimming, gymnastics, and track are usually pretty exciting, and this year should be no exception.

The big question: will the games go off without too many disasters, or will it all collapse due to the problems currently going on in Rio right now?

I plan on watching the opening ceremony and as much of he games as possible.  Anyone else joining me in this endeavor?

AI'm totally in the bag for the Olympics, but I'm hoping against hope this doesn't become Munich 2.0. Definitely seems like there is a cloud hanging over these Games already.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty View Post

Definitely seems like there is a cloud hanging over these Games already.

That's just the plumbing at the Olympic Village.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty View Post

I'm totally in the bag for the Olympics, but I'm hoping against hope this doesn't become Munich 2.0. Definitely seems like there is a cloud hanging over these Games already.

Crime and a police force that is underfunded and/or in league with the criminals

Terrorist threats and no viable security against them

Questionable overall readiness of the facilities

Pollution, especially of the water

Zika virus

Not really sure how much more cloudy it can get.

Still, I'm hopeful that things come together without any severe mishaps.

ATo think this mess could have been in Chicago. I'm glad I don't have to live the headache. I just hope the US never hosts it again. The IOC is worse than FIFA. Time to retire this competition.
AI used to be an Olympics junkie. This looks like the final straw.
A[quote name="Anyawatchin Angel" url="/community/t/155716/olympics-summer-2016-rio#post_4111411"]The IOC is worse than FIFA. [/quote]

That occured to me too. FIFA's dirty as it gets but they put on a month-long competition over the entirety of Brazil.

Seems like the IOC can't even suss out a 2 week deal in a single city.
ABacterial concentrations in the bay over one million times higher than what's considered safe, AP says after testing a vial. Rowers now bleaching their oars and wearing disposable coveralls. What the fuck are the swimmers going to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Bacterial concentrations in the bay over one million times higher than what's considered safe, AP says after testing a vial. Rowers now bleaching their oars and wearing disposable coveralls. What the fuck are the swimmers going to do?

The rowers are out in the river, so it's a different environment.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but all actual swimming events will be in an indoor pool that has a standard chlorinated environment and should be safe.

But yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous about the polluted water.  Consider all of the external water events (rowing, etc), that should have pretty much disqualified Rio from hosting the games.

You have Yuliya Stepanova who blew the whistle on the entire Russian doping programme but due to their own idiot logic, because she had a past testing irregularity (so not an actual positive, I believe and was probably forced into the programme like the East Germans before her), the IOC are putting her under the same blanket ban as everyone else. However, they're saying even though she can't compete, she can watch the games as a VIP guest of the IOC. It's almost as if they can't join the dots and work out causality, especially since if it weren't for her, they probably wouldn't have known of the extent of the cheating going on. It's almost as if they didn't want people to report this sort of thing. Or even worse, they did know and that's why they're doing this to her. She probably already can never return home (how about that, Edward Snowden can probably never leave Russia, she can never go back in most likely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but all actual swimming events will be in an indoor pool that has a standard chlorinated environment and should be safe.

Windsurfing and Marathon swimmers apparently are the targets of warnings to keep mouths shut. Sailing for the splash but the former will be swimming in it I believe.

Landlubbers aren't fairing much better it seems:

Quote:

But things were no much better back on dry land as pictures earlier this week showed dirty bedrooms, leaking ceilings and exposed wires in Rio's athlete's village which some competitors have branded 'unlivable' and sparked a blank refusal to move in from the Australian team.

Yeah, getting definite Deja Vu with the Sochi accomodations.

AI will say this: despite all the problems, the mood around town, both from natives and visitors has shifted from dread to excited optimism.

I think what'll happen is, unless something huge takes place, like Tom Brokaw said on Colbert, if something isn't finished, they just won't show it.

The Olympic Village situation appears to have solved itself with a last minute crunch; last I heard, the head of the Australian delegation, for example, had said she was happy with the accommodations. Here's hoping it goes with as few hitches as possible.
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrevellozo View Post

I will say this: despite all the problems, the mood around town, both from natives and visitors has shifted from dread to excited optimism.

I'm legitimately thrilled to hear that.

A[Image: 800]

USA House on Ipanema Beach. Was afraid to take closer pics cuz it's not open to the public yet. Pretty sure the Danish House is on my way home, so I'll try to snap a picture of that one too.
A[Image: 800]

Danish house. Pretty cool techno music blaring from it.
AIf only they'd publicize a medal count from the Olympic Village.
ANot entirely sure what you mean, but I do know for a fact that the only medal count that counts is the Per Head of Population one. Pretty sure that's enshrined in New Zealand law at least.
Quote:

USA House on Ipanema Beach. Was afraid to take closer pics cuz it's not open to the public yet. Pretty sure the Danish House is on my way home, so I'll try to snap a picture of that one too.

Quote:

Danish house. Pretty cool techno music blaring from it.

Oh wow, it's just like being there. Oh wait, you were.

Thank you for bringing it to the rest of us.

Here's my contribution as this is about as close as I'm going to be getting.

AI'll try to post as many pictures as I can before I travel next Tuesday Smile

I think I'll be able to get into some pretty fancy parties this weekend - including one that is rumoured to have George Goddamn Clooney as a guest - so we'll see !
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Oh wow, it's just like being there. Oh wait, you were.

Thank you for bringing it to the rest of us.

Here's my contribution as this is about as close as I'm going to be getting.

Russell Mulcahy's video masterpiece.  I defy anyone to top this video.

AI prefer the Jesus/Santa Claus cover version from South Park.
AKinda off topic but, at my screening of "Suicide Squad" last night, they played an ad for the Paralympic Games that take place next month here. Damn. One of the most moving things I've seen in a while.

There were a couple shots of a blind track runner and her partner winning a race that made a lot of people in the theatre cry.

Shame that these amazing athletes don't get the attention and respect they deserve.
Quote:

Russell Mulcahy's video masterpiece.  I defy anyone to top this video.

Even though the Olympics are a sham, I was in Vancouver for the month that the Winter Olympics were on, and I can assure everyone here we didn't have dead bodies and severed limbs floating in the water.

I cannot believe the pictures I am seeing of how polluted the water is in Rio.  It's absolutely appalling.  The amount of garbage is just unbelievable.  The raw sewage flowing into bay is disgusting.

But dead bodies floating around too?  How is this acceptable? What a disgrace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan View Post

It's good and imaginative, but I stand by my assertion that he never topped 'Rio'.  'Hungry Like the Wolf' is up there, too.

Quote:

It's good and imaginative, but I stand by my assertion that he never topped 'Rio'.  'Hungry Like the Wolf' is up there, too.

That was just a joke in the sense that it was the exact same director for both. I prefer Rio too, though I do like them both. Especially when that actress who already has that incredibly cheeky expression on her face looks at the camera and winks, thereby shattering the already shaky fourth wall into million pieces.

You're dead right about Hungry Like the Wolf, I've just been watching that one recently too.

I'd also like to thank the South Koreans for making it possible to reply to the question "Have you seen the giant man-eating pig movie?" with "Which one?".

I'm not a "sports" guy in general, but I always love the Olympics.

Can't wait for this thing to get started. I'll be watching the games pretty consistently for the next two weeks.

I love the opening ceremony. Mostly because I love the countries where it's just like one or two dudes (or dudettes) walking, who then get followed by countries like the US and its 6,600 athletes.

ADid they splice "An Inconvenient Truth" in the middle of the opening ceremony?
AAnd. Here. We. Go.
ASo the countdown was a countdown to the next 5 minute commercial block?

Eta: 3 minutes later...more commercials.

Brazilian director dude in the pre-show: "We don't want our opening ceremony to be just about our country, we want it to be about the world."

Me 30 minutes into watching this: "Huh, it's all about the country."

It's cool. I like it. But don't say that shit - we know it's gonna be about Brazil. And honestly it should be. It's your time to show off to the world. Go for it.

AI think they're about to re-create opening from the Incredible Hulk movie.