Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Things Food

Opening this thread because we've been talking about nothing but food in the CHUD Box Office Thread.

AMy wife and I are both foodies. We don't have kids, so we spend a lot of time cooking.

Last night we had zucchini gratin, with mango-nectarine semifreddo for dessert. It paired nicely with a cocktail of Campari, Lillet, and fresh grapefruit juice.

This is the semifreddo:

[Image: 400]

The other day I put some chicken wings in my smoker.  I went with hickory wood chips.  The wings had a dry rub of salt, pepper, cayenne, and some other spices.  Super hot, super good.  One of the better things I've ever cooked.

AI had a turkey sandwich for lunch. That I made for myself! It was pretty good.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

My wife and I are both foodies. We don't have kids, so we spend a lot of time cooking.

Last night we had zucchini gratin, with mango-nectarine semifreddo for dessert. It paired nicely with a cocktail of Campari, Lillet, and fresh grapefruit juice.

This is the semifreddo:

Holy balls that looks and sounds good.  Recipe?

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/155762/all-things-food#post_4118871"]
Holy balls that looks and sounds good.  Recipe?
[/quote]
Semifreddo: http://www.whatkatieate.com/recipes/mang...ate-seeds/

We omitted the passion fruit since we couldn't find any.

Cocktail: http://m.lonny.com/20+Cocktail+Recipes+t...t+Cocktail

Zucchini gratin: http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/zucchini-onion-gratin
Quote:

Semifreddo: http://www.whatkatieate.com/recipes/mang...ate-seeds/

I might try that substituting coconut palm sugar and coconut cream.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/155762/all-things-food#post_4118874"]
I might try that substituting coconut palm sugar and coconut cream.  
[/quote]
That could work out really well!

For dinner tonight, it was Angus beef hot dogs and Negra Modelo. (Given the debate over hot dogs that spawned this thread, I would like to note that I had my hot dogs with spicy mustard.)
A[quote name="Agentsands77" url="/community/t/155762/all-things-food#post_4119058"]
(Given the debate over hot dogs that spawned this thread, I would like to note that I had my hot dogs with spicy mustard.)[/quote]
Good man..

Dinner tonight at Che Fraid is gonna be pork tenderloin tacos. Just an idea that popped into my head. Making the pico right now but I forgot the damn cilantro so, it'll be back to the store shortly..

Lamb and beef meatballs, homeade sauce, and hand-made ravioli for dinner tonight.  I'll take pics of the finished product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil spurn View Post

Lamb and beef meatballs, homeade sauce, and hand-made ravioli for dinner tonight.  I'll take pics of the finished product.

drool.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/155762/all-things-food#post_4119382"]
drool.
[/quote]
Does sound good doesn't it.

I've never cooked with lamb before.

Need to broaden my horizons..

Fraid, you're a hotdog!

AIt's my penance for starting the biggest derail I've ever seen.

I'm the Hester Prynne of CHUD..

Just ate a bag of Utz ruffle chips. I feel like I'm gonna die.

For dessert tonight, I split a piece of blueberry and peach pie (with vanilla ice cream) with my wife.  I never would have put blueberries and peaches together like that, but holy cow did it work.

Dinner:

Grilled Ahi tuna burger

Miso maple marinade

Encrusted with sesame and sunflower seeds

Served on a toasted whole grain thin roll with wasabi mayonnaise, green onion relish, and baby arugula

AY'all some gourmet motherfuckers..

That was pretty ambitious for me.  I managed to put it together from mostly stuff I just happened to have in the house this week.  The real inspiration was my local grocery store, who was having a special event where they flew in a bunch of fresh whole tuna and had an "expert fish cutter" making custom cuts for you off the loin.  It was also about half the regular price, so what the heck.

I have also read enough menus to know how to make something sound fancier than it is.

Sure wish that my wife liked tuna steaks, because I'd be grilling up Ahi tuna all the time.  She likes tuna in tuna salad but that's about it.

Just got back from our annual camping trip to the Lake George, NY area.  First off, I f*cking hate camping, always have. But my wife loves it, my kids are now fully indoctrinated, and the damned thing is organized by a bunch of my college friends, some of whom I only see this one weekend a year. So I grudgingly go, this was the 13th year in a row.

As I said, hate camping, but I do find I like two things: drinking late into the night with my old buddies from college, and open-fire cooking.

We were there for 4-5 days and never ate a burger or a hot dog. One night I cooked giant steaks covered in my own dry rub, perfectly medium rare, for about 25 people. To go with that, I wrapped a whole bunch of potatoes in layers of tin foil and cooked them for about an hour in the coals, then cooked some hot sausage on the flames. Cut and scooped each potato, filled them with the cooked spicy sausage (cut into tiny pieces) and topped with some grated manchego and cheddar and some fresh herbs, then re-wrapped each in foil and threw em back in the coals for a few minutes for delicious sausage-stuffed potato skins.

For the next night, I took all the cooked potato I scooped out of those 15 damned potatoes and successfully made campfire mashed potatoes, with bacon and scallions. For breakfast most mornings, I discovered the painfully obvious trick of using a muffin pan on the fire to cook eggs. Line the each muffin well with bacon and let that cook for a bit, then pull the pan off the heat, break an egg in each, and add herbs/spices as desired. I also cheated and threw in a liberal amount of cooked, diced shrimp someone else had already prepared. Back over the flames for a few minutes and yummy egg cups every morning.

Not over an open fire, but another friend dug a 4-foot deep hole, started a nice bed of hot coals in there, then made a makeshift spit. In that covered hole over the course of hours, he smoked a pork loin (to make pulled pork quesadillas) and two whole chickens. It was glorious.

I wish I took pictures, but these jerks have a strict no electronics policy.

I love the food, but I hate camping.

Right there with you on open-fire cooking.  It's a true art form in this age of microwaves.

Also, I dislike camping as well.  Luckily my wife hates it with a passion (the idea of pooping in the woods terrifies her) so I never have to worry about it.

ASince I love creole cusine, for my birthday dinner, my wife made me shrimp etouffe.

I made scallops last night.  I've made them before but I've usually under-cooked them or over-cooked them...it's hard to get that timing right.  Last night, I nailed it.  They were perfection, and I paired them up with some pineapple mango salsa, and the results were amazing.

No pictures, unfortunately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

I made scallops last night.  I've made them before but I've usually under-cooked them or over-cooked them...it's hard to get that timing right.  Last night, I nailed it.  They were perfection, and I paired them up with some pineapple mango salsa, and the results were amazing.

No pictures, unfortunately.

Oh, I love scallops. I've never had them with pineapple mango salsa, but that sounds like it's a perfect match for my current climate (I don't know if you're suffering through unbearably humid heat like I am right now).

I made scallops for my anniversary dinner using this recipe, which is extraordinarily good.

Quote:

Oh, I love scallops. I've never had them with pineapple mango salsa, but that sounds like it's a perfect match for my current climate (I don't know if you're suffering through unbearably humid heat like I am right now).

Minnesota here.  It's actually been perfect weather with limited humidity lately.

As for the salsa: I was at Whole Foods and bought the scallops on sale.  I hit their paleo section and saw the salsa there and thought is sounded like a good pairing...glad I went for it because it really worked.

As to the scallops, I simply seared them on a hot pan.  For whatever reason, I absolutely nailed the timing.  I could have sold this dish for $40 at a high end restaurant with ease.

Last night my kids wanted meatballs for dinner.  So, homemade meatballs, homemade pesto, garlic, onions and fresh mozzarella on a pressed sub roll.

Mmmm.  I love sandwiches that are so stuffed they nearly fall apart when you pick them up.

A"Nearly" is the key there, but Lord yes.

Providence is a great food city, but a decent sub roll is hard to find (outside of a sandwich shop). The bakery by my house specializing in different varieties of amazing loaves, and the top notch Italian market nearby has good Italian loaves, but for sub rolls I can only find the bagged soft crap at Stop N Shop. It puts a damper on my home steak n' cheese experiementation.

(By experimenting I mean "figuring out how to make an edible one". My idea of cooking is boiling frozen vegetables in the same water as the pasta to save time.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

"Nearly" is the key there, but Lord yes.

Well they did fall apart when my kids tried to eat them, but I don't blame myself or the sandwich, I blame my spawn.  They're kids, so its the fault of their tiny Trump-like hands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Minnesota here.  It's actually been perfect weather with limited humidity lately.

As for the salsa: I was at Whole Foods and bought the scallops on sale.  I hit their paleo section and saw the salsa there and thought is sounded like a good pairing...glad I went for it because it really worked.

As to the scallops, I simply seared them on a hot pan.  For whatever reason, I absolutely nailed the timing.  I could have sold this dish for $40 at a high end restaurant with ease.

Yeah, the main point for scallops is to get the pan hot with oil before you drop them down. Then you only need a couple of minutes on each side.

One year when we were at the beach for Thanksgiving we bought some huge, fresh scallops and I wrapped them in bacon and grilled them. Holy cow those were great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martianman View Post

Yeah, the main point for scallops is to get the pan hot with oil before you drop them down. Then you only need a couple of minutes on each side.

Yep, that's what I did.  I've just perfected the timing.  So very, very tasty.

Tomorrow we host our annual summer farewell BBQ. While that inconsiderate son of a bitch Hermine is swiftly traveling towards the northeast with threats of rain and high winds, we're not made of sugar and the show must go on.

Tonight I did all my prep work on a delicious, fantastical bacon roll so I can just wake up tomorrow, fire up the smoker and throw this in for a few hours before finishing off on the grill.

Weave together a pound of raw bacon, like so:

Take a pound of ground sausage (I use hot italian), flatten into a rectangular shape roughly the size of the bacon weave, sprinkle liberally with a BBQ rub, diced orange pepper and garlic (lightly cooked in bacon grease), BBQ sauce, and an additional pound of cooked bacon:

Carefully roll the sausage concoction into a log:

Gently place sausage log onto bacon weave, and roll tightly:

Is it unwise to serve a dish involving two pounds of bacon and a pound of sausage when in your 40's?  Very, very likely. But fuck it, I now only make this beautiful beast once a year, coincidentally the same one day a year I somehow always end up getting college drunk.

I will smoke this at about 225 for a few hours tomorrow, then 6-8 minutes on the grill. I'll take pics of the finished product. If I've rolled it tightly enough, when you slice it there will be a cool pinwheel pattern of cooked bacon and peppers.

AAfter a about three hours it's starting to come together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil spurn View Post

After a about three hours it's starting to come together.

How was this?  It looks amazing!

As to me, I'm back on the paleo diet.  Lots of lean meats and veggies.  I've gotten really good with my application of spices to keep the flavors fun and interesting.