Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Things Food

I don't even eat steak or bacon and I like them.  There, I said it.

AI love bacon. But I don't dig it when bacon is wrapped around other food. Mostly because I like bacon that's way crispier than that weird limp thing I'll occasionally find wrapped around a cream cheese filled jalapeño or such..

Bacon wrapped fillet steak is delicious, if you like bacon and steak(!), but no, you don't get crispy bacon as part of the deal.

Monkfish and bacon is also nice. Scallops cooked with bacon is transcendent. If you use a hot grill, the bacon gets crispy but not carbonized.

The worst thing is cooking for people who keep culturally kosher (i.e. no pork or shellfish). There is no sensible substitute for bacon in recipes - or at least nothing that delivers meatiness, saltiness and fattiness all at once.

AScallops....cooked with bacon.

Hmmmm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Scallops....cooked with bacon.

Hmmmm..

Oh, it is.

Also, Murdoch's dislike of steak and bacon marks him as a commie satanist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

The worst thing is cooking for people who keep culturally kosher (i.e. no pork or shellfish). There is no sensible substitute for bacon in recipes - or at least nothing that delivers meatiness, saltiness and fattiness all at once.

It might be why they lost their homeland for so long.

That may have been too much. Sorry.

AMy new comfort food

Curry laksa. Bloody marvellous

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/232251/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
APractically any kind of curry is wonderful. Love it. It's literally my favorite food..

I actually asked this question not so long ago:

Weird to see they're so popular in Japan. I never see their stores anymore where I live.

AIt is weird how they've disappeared. The one by me turned into a Popeye's two years ago, and i think others got swapped for Chick Fil A locations. There's one in the town that my wife is from (saw it on Friday) but that's honestly the only KFC that I've seen in a while.

Yeah, during my teens they were titans, and you'd find one of their restaurants wherever you'd also find a McDonalds and Burger King. Nowadays....... I honestly haven't seen one in quite some time. I see tons of smaller chicken chains which have adopted their menus (and, in some cases, variations on their logo whilst retaining the same color scheme) but never a KFC. Sad to hear they're apparently struggling on their home turf although they really need to do something about their image. Being regarded as one of the least hygienic eat-out options is never going to play well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Being regarded as one of the least hygienic eat-out options is never going to play well.

There is that.  You walk in there, smell the grease, and feel your heart skip a beat.  The thing is, the Popeye's that took over the old KFC location near me is ridiculously unsanitary.  We walked in there and immediately turned around, never to go back.  It just felt incredibly icky.

AWe still have KFCs around here. I don't know why.
ATheir biscuits are insane.

I'm in Texas and they are everywhere around here.  But in the last couple of years there has been a sudden explosion of fried chicken places.  Locally we have Bush's Chicken and Golden Chic, the we just got a Cain's and a Zaxby's.  Also some place called PDQ.  That's on top of the KFC/Popeyes/Churches we also have.  There is a fried chicken renaissance happening.  Fried Chicken Renaissance also happens to be the name of my folk trio that does only Huey Lewis and the News covers.

Is Church's Chicken still down there?  I remember them from the early 80s.

And you fuckers have Whataburger.  Dammit, we need those up here.

AYes. There's a Church's and a Whataburger less than a mile from each other where I'm at right now. Whataburger is THE post bar drunk munchies place to be..
AI've managed to resist the siren song of the McRib this year.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I've managed to resist the siren song of the McRib this year.

Never been a problem for me.  Those things are nasty as fuck.

AThey used to serve McRibs (or some similar variation of it) in our school cafeteria. That right there broke me of the desire to ever go near one again..

Mmmmm.  McRib.  Which is shameful, being in central Texas, home of superb BBQ.  But yeah, I manages to avoid that oddly formed slab of meat-ish product slathered in horrible sauce.

My future concerning food is interesting.  Starting on the 5th, nothing but potatoes for 2 weeks.  No seasoning.  No oil.  Just potatoes.  Morning, noon, and night.  For two weeks.  Fun times!!!

Last night I went to a place called Uncle Julio's. Really good Tex-Mex, a bit pricier than the usual. However, they have a dessert called The Chocolate Pinata, a large ball of chocolate stuffed with churros and fruit:

The damn thing costs $25, but I will have it someday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

Last night I went to a place called Uncle Julio's. Really good Tex-Mex, a bit pricier than the usual. However, they have a dessert called The Chocolate Pinata, a large ball of chocolate stuffed with churros and fruit:

The damn thing costs $25, but I will have it someday.

AThat looks glorious
AI've never even seen such as that before but yeah, I'd lay down $25 for it. I'm a growed up...I can have dessert for dinner!

I haven't eaten at Taco Bell in a long time (maybe 2 years) but I ate at one last night.  They have this new thing called a 'Naked Chicken Chalupa' that was, for lack of a better description, fucking amazing.  The shell of the taco was actually made out of chicken that had been flattened, and all of the usual veggies and such were inside of it.

Fucking CHOW.  Not sure how healthy it is but good God, I'm a fan.

AI'm not a foodie by any stretch (although my culinary knowledge and skill in the kitchen IS growing).

But yeah, Taco Bell does scratch a very specific itch sometimes..
AThe thing with Taco Bell is, back when they always fucked up your order, but it was at least made of things vaguely resembling meat and veggies and cheese. Now, they reliably give you what you ordered, but what you ordered seems to be invariably a tortilla full of varicolored disgusting glop.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

I'm not a foodie by any stretch (although my culinary knowledge and skill in the kitchen IS growing).

But yeah, Taco Bell does scratch a very specific itch sometimes..

Commodore John will know what I'm talking about with this one:

CHILI CHEESE BURRITOS

They're a Minnesota/regional thing.  Chili and cheese inside of a tortilla, that's it.  Healthy?  No, but you gotta give the body what it wants every once in a while.

Also, I had a chicken quessarito last night to go along with the naked chicken chalupa.  I remembered these things being good and by God on high, my memory was accurate.

I'll beg forgiveness from Moltisanti for stealing the image, but yeah...

The Naked Chicken Chalupa.

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/235766/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

24 ounces of prime rib. I'm gonna die, but holy balls is this thing good.
AHoly mother of God.
ALooks pretty good.
AI ate about 75% of it. Best piece of prime rib I've ever had.

This place sells huge pieces, the boggest being 176 ounces. You eat it. Your name goes on a plaque on the wall. Kinda a GREAT OUTDOORS kinda thing.

Got myself a nice Bison Ribeye for tomorrow night. Yum!

I guess Prime Rib is a Midwestern thing? It's huge here in Vegas, every restaurant touts it. To me it's like a richer tasting Roast Beef.