Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Things Food
AMrs. Slim and I are dong the Whole 30, so basically everything is paleo except potatoes are allowed.

Searching for new vegetable options, I hit on something I hadn't considered before: cole slaw.

All you need is a cabbage, a carrot and a grater. The sauce has endless permutations that can match dozens of meats. The current go to is regular mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar and black pepper.

Next time will be a cider vinegar and some celery thrown into the mix.

Had a turkey sandwich yesterday at a local place, just turkey, smoked gouda and an "Oh my God I can't believe how fucking good this is!" cranberry aioli.

AWhile there's something to be said for a burger with the works, all the best sandwiches have some economy in their ingredient list.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

While there's something to be said for a burger with the works, all the best sandwiches have some economy in their ingredient list.

Absolutely true.

AHard to beat the simplicity of meat and cheese. Dress it up all you want but it comes down to meat and cheese.
A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/155762/all-things-food/90#post_4235000"]Hard to beat the simplicity of meat and cheese. Dress it up all you want but it comes down to meat and cheese.[/quote]
Which is why the quality of the meat, cheese, bread, and condiments is the most important thing.
AFresh bread can hide many culinary sins.
A[quote name="Lightning Slim" url="/community/t/155762/all-things-food/100#post_4235010"]Fresh bread can hide many culinary sins.[/quote]

Amen. Fresh, warm, crisp bread will make even an average sandwich taste anazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Amen. Fresh, warm, crisp bread will make even an average sandwich taste anazing.

I'll go ahead and plug the joint I had the sandwich at:

http://www.patseatery.com/

They bake all their own bread, including the hamburger buns.

AHaving a big, stupid, alcohol fueled birthday party for my lovely wife tonight. Making a whole mess of fried wings.

[Image: 400]

24 hour soak in homemade brine, rinse them off, then 24 hour soak in buttermilk, then deep fry in batches. The 2-day prep is a pain in the ass, but it's a damned good finished product.
AIf all my tastebuds were dying and I had to choose what I ate until I lost the ability to enjoy food, I would choose perfectly crispy chicken wings.
A[quote name="Lightning Slim" url="/community/t/155762/all-things-food/90#post_4248082"]If all my tastebuds were dying and I had to choose what I ate until I lost the ability to enjoy food, I would choose perfectly crispy chicken wings.[/quote]
Curry. I'd have to go with Curry..

Today, whilst walking around the mini-market opposite my workplace, I discovered they had an American snack section. As Jacob Singer will confirm, I have a weird obsession with American snacks and so, when I caught sight of something I've heard so much about in American movies over the years, I didn't waste any time in picking them up despite how much was being charged (£5.50! For ten! Did my Sainsburys Local have to smuggle these through customs or something?)

Yes, Twinkies! I imagine these are an everyday-occurance for most Americans but I've never seen them here in the UK. I don't know why but I thought the outter shell was going to be hard rather than soft, so they didn't taste anything like I imagined. In fact, they didn't live up to my mind's hype at all. Kind of bland in fact. :frown: Real shame as I'd subconsciously built them up to be the greatest of all snacks. Have only eaten two of them so will probably give the rest to my workmates.

On the plus side, the store also sold something called a "Baby Ruth" bar which I liked a lot more. Tasted a bit like the Boost bar we have over here in the UK, but with nuts. Would buy again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Today, whilst walking around the mini-market opposite my workplace, I discovered they had an American snack section. As Jacob Singer will confirm, I have a weird obsession with American snacks and so, when I caught sight of something I've heard so much about in American movies over the years, I didn't waste any time in picking them up despite how much was being charged (£5.50! For ten! Did my Sainsburys Local have to smuggle these through customs or something?)

Yes, Twinkies! I imagine these are an everyday-occurance for most Americans but I've never seen them here in the UK. I don't know why but I thought the outter shell was going to be hard rather than soft, so they didn't taste anything like I imagined. In fact, they didn't live up to my mind's hype at all. Kind of bland in fact. :frown: Real shame as I'd subconsciously built them up to be the greatest of all snacks. Have only eaten two of them so will probably give the rest to my workmates.

On the plus side, the store also sold something called a "Baby Ruth" bar which I liked a lot more. Tested a bit like the Boost bar we have over here in the UK, but with nuts. Would buy again.

If you want to get truly American about it (or maybe it's just a Texas thing), then you need to deep fry those fuckers.

Edit in case you thought I was joking: I received this email just this morning from my local wings bar:

ADo they have Zero bars in the UK? You MUST eat one of those. Candy bars don't get no better.

Also Sax, I'm with you on Twinkies. I think they suck. I like the red, coconut covered ones though, oddly enough..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

If you want to get truly American about it (or maybe it's just a Texas thing), then you need to deep fry those fuckers.

It sounds like Texans and the Scottish have something in common.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Do they have Zero bars in the UK? You MUST eat one of those. Candy bars don't get no better..

I don't think so. Will take another look at the American snack section tomorrow to see if they're there amongst the Reese's Pieces and Nerds boxes.

A[Image: 400]
Just to make your searching easier..
ATwinkies are wildly overrated. Little Debbie's Swiss Cake Rolls are where it's at.
A[quote name="commodorejohn" url="/community/t/155762/all-things-food/120#post_4251244"]Twinkies are wildly overrated. Little Debbie's Swiss Cake Rolls are where it's at.[/quote]
Oh, yeaahhhh

And ZEBRA CAKES...

[Image: cakes_horizontal_zebracakes-yvqu4d.png]
AOatmeal cream pies are the reason Little Debbie even exists..

As someone who is three days into a vegan diet, and three and a half months on a no sugar diet, you guys are making my stomach hurt.

A[quote name="Fraid uh noman" url="/community/t/155762/all-things-food/120#post_4251246"]Oatmeal cream pies are the reason Little Debbie even exists..[/quote]Mostly, I'm a fancypants dessert person. My wife and buy high-end chocolate. She's also a fantastic cook and makes extravagant desserts.

But, man, those oatmeal cream pies...

A restaurant here in NYC just started serving these...

...Spaghetti Donuts!

I am disturbingly intrigued.

I'm walking around my local supermarket, doing the weekly shop, when I stumble upon a pack of ten of these:

Sounds okay, right? "Fruity Water" Looks refreshing enough and the Capri Sun brand is pretty reliable.

Well, I'm here to tell you to keep away from this product. If fruit pissed in a stream and added artificial sweetners, it would taste something like this. Even then, the taste of fruit has been immensely watered down which is funny for a product called "Fruity Water". You're left with artificially sweetened water with a weird aftertaste that almost tastes like fruit but is so minuscule that your tastebuds spend their next few seconds arguing about whether they actually tasted anything or not.

Disappointing.

Capri-Sun is gross.  Avoid, avoid, avoid.

As to Hostess products: I was never really into Twinkies, but good God could I motor down Ho Hos and Ding Dongs.  Saxon: if you see those, give 'em a try.

ALittle Debbie's Swiss Cake Rolls are vastly superior.
Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Little Debbie's Swiss Cake Rolls are vastly superior.

Especially frozen.

Twinkies may get all the love but the best thing Hostess ever made were these bad boys.   Especially frozen...

AEwww, not the orange... The chocolate ones.

[Image: 0088109110010_CL_version_type_large.jpeg]

You have to come to the US to get the freshest, juiciest Capri Sun.

Nah, jk. Drink this instead.

AKyle is correct. Those Naked drinks are fucking awesome. Especially the strawberry-banana and the protein ones. I also been buying these super cheap but also super refreshing aloe drinks from Dollar General lately. They're fucking wonderful. And they help greatly if you suffer from a stomach ulcer. Will post a pic of them soon.

Capri sun do suck. When it's the worst part of a Lunchable?? Yeeeesh..
A[Image: 400]
Anybody seen or tried these things yet? They're freakin awesome. I'm putting them on everything now. In fact I'm eating em outta the box as I type this. They taste like fried okra for a split second until the heat hits. Think of em as fried onions....only jalapeños..

Some of the new foods that are going to be at the MN State Fair have been announced.  Highlights include:

The Bacon Fluffernutter, a grilled cinnamon bun sandwich with a bacon, peanut butter and marshmallow cream filling.

The Bacon Up Pup, a Belgian waffle on a stick with bacon in the batter, dipped in chocolate, drizzled with maple syrup, topped with whipped cream and bacon. 

Bowl O' Dough is scoops of raw cookie dough in four flavors: Brownie Batter Swirl, gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, European Cookie Butter and Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake with Blueberries. 

GOOD GOD.

'MURICA!!!

My 10 inch cast iron skillet, passed down from my parents who got it from my dad's mother, is too small for frying all eight pieces at once of a chicken for homemade fried chicken so I recently bought me the Lodge 12" I have always wanted to add to my kitchen because it was $17 on Amazon, half off what I have always seen it out in town for.

So I celebrated its arrival this weekend by cooking four pounds of bacon for the kids to eat for breakfast over the next week.  That should make sure to get that nice seasoning developed.  After that I made Cornbread Beef Skillet Pie last night. It was very good but next time I make it I plan on adding salt and pepper to the beef as I brown it to add a bit more punch to it.

I will probably soak some chicken in buttermilk this weekend to fry the aforementioned chicken up but before that I am most likely going to make a Chicken Pot Pie.

I also managed to save all the bacon fat in some mason jars to put in the fridge.  This is my go to Cornbread recipe and I plan on replacing the canola oil with the bacon fat.

Anyone have any cast iron skillet meals to share?