Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
L'humiliation De Jonah Hill

(Apologies to French Chewers if I just mangled your language via Google Translate)

Quote:

Jonah Hill has reportedly cancelled all promotional appearances in France after being mocked on satirical chat show Le Grand Journal, claim BFMTV.

The Hollywood actor, happy to be the butt of jokes in many of his movies, found real-life mockery from French comedian Ornella Fleury a little hard to take.

The cutting exchange began with a not-so subtle dig at Hill's movie career, who stars in new film War Dogs.Addressing Hill face to face on live television, Fleury unflinchingly recounted a sexual fantasy involving the 32-year-old's celebrity friends at the expense of the man himself.

"It's when I saw you get sodomised by a demon in This Is The End that I told myself THAT is the man of my dreams," began Fleury – immediately riling the actor.

"And you? I heard you get sodomised on a regular basis," responded Hill.

But undeterred Fleury continued: "Anyway, here's why I have a sexual fantasy with you Jonah – all I have to say is sexual fantasy and you guys laugh... guess I don't need to finish the joke...

"My sexual fantasy would be that we would meet up in a hotel room at night. We would chat, you'd make me laugh, you'd make me laugh A LOT, and then all of a sudden you'd bring your friends [Leo] DiCaprio and Brad Pitt... and then you would LEAVE," she concluded.

Cue an awkward silence around the room and slow, sarcastic thumbs up from Hill. The Wolf of Wall Street star then let his composure slip, snapping "I'm glad I came on here to be mocked by a local journalist," clearly unaware she was not a journalist but a comedian.

That was...overtly harsh and unfunny. Can't say I blame the guy, to be honest.

Sure, he gets mocked a lot in his movies but those are A) His job he is being well compensated for and B) With his actual friends, it's the difference between me calling one of my friends a fucking chode and a complete stranger doing it.

Christ, imagine it was someone like Melissa McCarthy talking to a male comedian making pretty much the exact same joke (just swap DiCaprio and Pitt with Sandra Bullock and Rose Byrne). The internet would have the pitchforks out in a New York minute.

I haven't watched the actual footage of it yet but I imagine it's squirm-inducing.

Just saw the footage (and the title of the thread is fine by the way), and the joke delivery (and the joke itself) is indeed pretty weak and unfunny. Ornella Fleury follows a tradition of the show where the weatherwoman does at the same time a comedy skit, and 90% of the jokes fall flat, no matter the actress. French Canadian actress Charlotte Le bon (known in the US for THE WALK) got noticed while on the show a few years ago. And Jonah Hill cancelled all his interviews his France following the skit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magiclapinou View Post

(and the title of the thread is fine by the way),

Magnifique!

Completely understand his being pissed, but why condemn a whole country for the actions of one renegade talk show host?

From his interviews on the Howard Stern show, Jonah Hill is a pretty sensitive and feeling guy. I'm sure these comments hurt. I don't blame him for cancelling the rest. Actors aren't immune to insults.

AMy brother makes harsher jokes toward me before breakfast. And my friends do the same in public.
AI hope they at least structure them better. Those "jokes" barely put any sort of spin on just calling him a stupid uglyface.
AMeh. They weren't that rough in my view.

They said worse stuff to him at the James Franco roast.
ANot rough, just stupid and juvenile. And I can see how he might be taken aback, given that apparently he thought he was on a local news show rather than a Roast.

Eh, everyone will survive this more or less intact. I just don't like it when the French are classless. Be mean and withering, but sophisticated, like my stereotypes dictate.
AI don't really care enough about this to prompt yet another "Schwartz talks down to Someone on the board" sessions, so I'll let myself out. Have fun.
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrevellozo View Post

I don't really care enough about this to prompt yet another "Schwartz talks down to Someone on the board" sessions, so I'll let myself out. Have fun.

Don't be a Jonah Hill, Andre.

ASchwartz shouldn't have fantasised about shagging my hot friends.

But you don't have any ugly friends.  My hand was forced.

AI LOL'd. Apologies for being snappy. I just saw how pissy I came across.
Quote:

Meh. They weren't that rough in my view.

They said worse stuff to him at the James Franco roast.

Oh, was this a roast? Because roasts and vapid panel interviews are kiiiiinda different!

Quote:

I LOL'd. Apologies for being snappy. I just saw how pissy I came across.

Now sweat.  We all get tetchy when Johan Hill's honor is at stake.

The footage, at least you'll be able to see Hill's reaction. I hope it will work outside of France.

Miles Teller is probably glad that all of her jokes are aimed at Jonah and not at the fact he starred in Fantastic Four last year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magiclapinou View Post

French Canadian actress Charlotte Le bon (known in the US for THE WALK) got noticed while on the show a few years ago.

I liked the Solveig and Doria eras.

A[quote name="Schwartz" url="/community/t/155840/lhumiliation-de-jonah-hill#post_4134226"]I just don't like it when the French are classless. Be mean and withering, but sophisticated, like my stereotypes dictate.[/quote]

Took the thoughts right out of my head.

This is a joke of the order of those used by 13 year old kids to bully each other in the playgrounds of Manukau or Arlington or Milton Keynes, not the material of a grown, professional Frenchperson.

I'm not offended for Hill. I'm disappointed for Gaul.

The co-host sitting beside her has a serious "Mike Myers standing next to Kanye on live TV" expression going on.

Ornella fleury apologized on air yesterday. Hope Hill hears of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

This is a joke of the order of those used by 13 year old kids to bully each other in the playgrounds of Manukau or Arlington or Milton Keynes, not the material of a grown, professional Frenchperson.

I'm not offended for Hill. I'm disappointed for Gaul.

The sad part is that Canal + (basically a French HBO), the channel where the incident happened was for 25 years a haven for comedians ranking from interesting to all time great. 'L'esprit Canal' or 'Canal spirit' was even coined to define a certain kind of insolence, wit and envelope pushing. A few years ago the channel was bought by a billionnaire who's destroying (purposely or not) everything Canal + was about, leaving nothing but an empty shell. To give you an idea, this the kind of thing we had:

It's worth watching for Ice-T's reactions alone, especially when the comedian playing Diana hits on him ('my throat is dry, I need to drink something iced. ' 'when my iced tea is warm in my mouth, I swallow...'), all in good humor.

http://jezebel.com/maybe-jonah-hill-cant...1786691512

From the comments...

Quote:

Can’t help but feel the response to this “joke” would be less positive had the genders been reversed.

Quote:

That’s true, but that’s why punching upward works and punching down doesn’t. That’s true, but that’s why punching upward works and punching down doesn’t.

Sound logic, that.

AI have to say, after reading those comments, I take back what I said on my previous posts here.

The lady pulled a dick move, plain and simple.

Her apology was pretty good though, and I offer the same argument as to why I was initially on her side.

And yeah, if it'd been some guy saying that to Amy Schumer, you betcha the online pitchforks would be rank with digital blood.
AI'm largely disinterested in the incident itself because I can choose to be, however, it's still entertaining to point out hypocrisy.

Very few of these people who are ragging on Hill seem to notice that he's a guy struggling with his weight. This is one of those rare incidents where being a white guy with money has said white guy at a deficit in terms of the sympathy afforded to him by a certain subset of people.

That said, if I were in Hill's position, would I have had the same reaction? Probably not. I would have given her a ton of shit and clowned her for being a lame comedian then after the show I would have taken one or two attractive production assistants back to my awesome hotel room and had awesome sex for me, but merely adequate sex for them.