Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Good Place
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieFerguson View Post

Loved Chidi's ticker being so long that Michael frustratingly shoved the paper aside.  Also, as someone with a soft spot for both Cheers and Mr. Destiny, everything about that bar scene was aces.

That was probably the biggest laugh for me in the episode.  They'd only just started the day and Chidi's was already spooling all over the table.

Ms Bell (I can't bring myself to say Mrs Shepherd) is a national treasure and you should all be doing your bit to protect her at all costs.

AOne never gets tired of seeing Danson tend bar.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Man, this show can pack more  into 22 minutes than most can in an hour. Won't lie, I choked up a bit in the finale.

Seriously, not 5 minutes in and Jason and Janet profess their love for one and other and Chidi kisses Eleanor!

Such a sweet ending and I love how it was foreshadowed a few episodes back by Chidi wishing that they had met a more normal way like "You come to my office asking for help with philosophy."

Normally I'd expect this Real World mulligan to take up the bulk of Season 3 but with this show I won't be surprised if its wrapped up by the second episode.

Hey, Danson got an Emmy nom. Good for them to finally recognizing such an up-and-coming talent!
Maya Rudolph got a Guest Actress nomination as well. But I'd have totally dropped Silicon Valley from the Best Comedy list to add this.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Danson’s nomination made my day. His work on this series is all-time great.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
It's a bit of marketing for season 3 but the The Good Place Chrome extension is mildly fun. Part of it reads obscenities on the page and converts them. Took me a second to get used to the fact that seeing loads more uses of "forking" and "bullshirt" here and on other sites weren't evidence of a huge increase in references to the show!
So good to have this show back.

Interesting episode. Jason's section was gold.
the empire never ended
Someone else remembers Stealing Home!
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Pretty good premiere, and it was nice to see that they recognized the need to get the cast back together immediately. I do hope they find a way to get Janet more into the mix ASAP.

Loved the ending, though. If Trevor's persona on Earth is essentially 'Evil Ben Wyatt', I'll be over the moon.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart

Mmmmmm...yeah. THAT'S the stuff.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

"And then I was telling this guy Eric Pizzaz about my crazy year"

"I'm Eric Pizzaz. We're all caught up now"
haha, yeah, both those parts were my favorite.

"My year started about a year ago..."
the empire never ended
Chidi getting questioned while on the MRI machine was the best part for me.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
(09-30-2018, 11:58 AM)ChrisW Wrote: "And then I was telling this guy Eric Pizzaz about my crazy year"

"I'm Eric Pizzaz. We're all caught up now"

ZACK Pizazz, please. Or Dr. Charles Brainman.
The Richard Marx gag killed me.
Second episode was good not great until that ending, which was like 3 minutes of brilliant hilarity.
the empire never ended
PALTO
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
"Sweet outift.  Dick Tracy called.  He said you're a buttface and he's been plowing your mom."

"That's a Jamaican accent."  (dead-eye stare)
Janet realizing she didn't have her powers was absolutely adorable.

----------

"A Hugh Jackman PT Barnum movie made like half a billion dollars..."

"Blake Bortles is good, maybe? I dunno, it's something experts on Earth are still debating..."

And then the print queue. The print queue.
the empire never ended
This episode was a little flat. The end seems to indicate a switch-up coming, which feels necessary.
the empire never ended
I want more of the desperately insecure Al-Jamil-Hemsworths.
"Jason and I are straight trash."
"CA-CAW!"

I agree that I think this setting has run its course. Fortunately, the show has a good track record of turning the concept on its ear and after last night's ending, I think that's what we're getting.
(10-12-2018, 12:28 AM)hammerhead Wrote: I want more of the desperately insecure Al-Jamil-Hemsworths.

True, Larry Hemsworth was a fantastic creation.

"Flat" relative to this show's standards still annihilates most sitcoms.
the empire never ended
I'm glad it looks like they're getting everyone back together next week. I've been a bit antsy about Janet and Michael being separated from the cast for the most part. Also hope they pull back on Michael's weird aloof-ness on earth. He'd developed a kind of sweet sincerity last season, but that combined with him being amazed by earth is making him seem a little dumber and less capable than I remembered.

Still very much enjoying this show, but its taken a little longer for me to adjust to the new status quo than it did last season.
Moral philosophy has always been fore-fronted very explicitly in the show but this last episode when Eleanor asks the brain doctor (whose name I still can't remember) why she did what she did with the cake and everything was maybe the first time I felt the show really straining to make us take its character development seriously or something (even as they tried to throw a couple not-great jokes on top of that).

I miss the metaphysical hijinks and aburdist visual gags and what-not that came with the afterlife world. I don't mind that we're still on Earth, per se, but I do think after 3 episodes I am ready for one of The Good Place's infamous paradigm shifts and I think the show is ready to deliver that, too.
the empire never ended
Two words:

Blake
Beartles
Hmm.

It feels like this season could become really good at any point but it's not happening for me yet. This episode had quite a few great parts ("Jeremy Bearimy," Chidi's chili pot of nihilism, anything Jason said) but the arc of the season is still not really clicking and the plot arrow they ended on in this episode doesn't seem very promising to me.

We'll see. I certainly am not going to stop watching--I mean, this is still the best sitcom on television right now--but at this point I am getting a bit restless with the underlying storyline.
the empire never ended
Here's how great this show is. Since it started, there have been countless moments where I've said to myself, what about this or what about that, or how will they keep this going, and inevitably the very next week the show has answered my question by taking things in a new and unexpected direction.

This week they did it within the episode. At the very moment when I was asking out loud why there was a dot over the "I".
What amazes me is how they take concepts that other shows would milk for at least half a season and run through them in satisfying ways over the course of a single show. They could have easily done a whole season of the alternate plans Michael came up with last year, and instead, they burned them off and moved on. This season, the study group could have easily carried an entire season, and while they're still together, they turned the concept on its head TWICE.

----------

It does help that they program short seasons.
"Once, he created a sport that was a cross between dodgeball and horseshoes, and everybody died"

I'm still crying laughing.
"Macho Man" Randy Savage International Airport.

Beautiful.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Funny episode, maybe the funniest one yet this season.

I can't decide if the writers forgot how to write Eleanor or if Bell's delivery is the problem (something I never thought I'd say), but her character is still feeling a bit forced. Tahani and Michael seem kind of lost but Chidi and Jason still work great and this episode had some great stuff for Janet. Pillboi and Donkey Doug were hilarious extensions of the Jason shtick. But I just don't know if I'm ever going to get used to this setting/context for the show, the over-arching story continues to kind of bother me.

But it's funny and maybe that's all that matters?
the empire never ended