Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Good Place
As the show moves towards its conclusion, and thus some kind of summary of what it's been about, I found myself very struck and moved by these last two episodes, but in particular the trial sequence. It occurred to me how different Michael's argument - that even people like Brent are capable of changing/wanting to change, that no one is "beyond redemption," but that such a thing is only possible if someone is part of a community - feels from so much of tv over the last decade, which largely seemed to boil down to "people don't change, and are doomed to make the same mistakes over and over." I wouldn't say this show is a corrective to that, but it definitely feels in conversation with that. And I think you could make the argument that a lot of Schur's work - Brooklyn Nine-Nine, P&R, even The Office to an extent - is also making some version of that same argument.

But what I think is so special about The Good Place in particular is that it understands that people don't "change" completely, in that they become entirely different people - they just become better versions of themselves. It reminds me of what Ebert said about GROUNDHOG DAY, which is exactly that: "Phil undergoes his transformation but never loses his edge. He becomes a better Phil, not a different Phil." Eleanor, Chidi, Jason, Tahani, even Michael - they're still very much the same people we met in Chapter 1. They're just better versions.
home taping is killing music
Thursday, Thursday, Thursdaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 12: JACK SPARROW FIGHTS AQUAMAN

PROBABLY

I MEAN AT THIS POINT WHAT DOES IT MATTER
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Bad Janet's sad fart
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
So, do you think Timothy Olyphant was paid for this, or did someone call him and he said, 'Yeah, aight.' and just filmed for a day?

Also: Timothy Olyphant showed up!

Also also: Joanie Loves Tchotkes; is there a compendium of all the store puns in this show? Because there have been some amazing ones throughout the run.

Search/: Humanity Eraser button garage door opener thingy judge.

Also, the "Jacksonville Plea-Bargain."
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

(01-10-2020, 09:00 AM)doc happenin Wrote: So, do you think Timothy Olyphant was paid for this, or did someone call him and he said, 'Yeah, aight.' and just filmed for a day?

Also: Timothy Olyphant showed up!

I'm sure he was paid, but the AV Club has an interview with Mike Schur on how the whole thing came together:

https://tv.avclub.com/mike-schur-on-maki...1840910984
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
ERAAAAAASE DA URF

A lot of good, quick lines in this one, really funny stuff.

Jason kills me every time.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
With four episodes to go I have to assume John and Simone are going to show back up and screw things up somehow.
Simone was pretty fucking smug and insufferable earlier in the season, so not really looking forward to her character returning, but John and/or Brent coming back for a final bow? Sign me up.

Uber-Chidi not being all that fussed about the Time Knife was a great callback.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Generally a pretty wheel-spinny episode, but I'm always happy to see Rudolph hamming it up as The Judge, Uber-Chidi was gold throughout and the more Janets the merrier, so two thumbs up from me too.
(01-12-2020, 07:21 PM)Bucho Wrote: the more Janets the merrier

. . . solid.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
EPIC BACON MUCH?