Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batman - The Telltale Games Series

There are only so many "Batman thumbs up" gifs on Google Images, Andre.

Just finished the first chapter. Man, I am the exact audience for these Telltale games. I thought it was a perfect balance of action vs. 'detective' work, of Bats vs. Bruce. So many great little touches, like being able to choose the color of your tech, Bats pressing the hidden buttons on his cowl for his voice change/scanning/fight mode, Alfred being integral to all the proceedings, etc...

I'm enjoying all the character work, and even like Cobblepot, but then again I like the Gotham tv series too, so my judgement is suspect. I think I'll save Chapter Two for tomorrow, finish up Luke Cage afterwards, and then watch Westworld. What a great genre weekend it's turning into.

OK, chapter two coming up. I'm always a sissy liberal do-gooder-type in these games, so we'll see where that gets me. Apparently I was in the minority in my first chapter only in that I didn't let Dent into the meeting with Falcone. I didn't like that Falcone was there in my house without my blessing, and I wanted to keep it private. Sorry Dent.

See you in around 90 minutes or so, then!

Episode three "New World Order" is released October 25th!

I'm saving this for the weekend myself, but anyone else have any impressions of the new chapter?

God I'm an idiot. I thought the 25th was tomorrow for some reason. Ah well. Probably still wouldn't have played it until the weekend (as is my plan) either way.

AWon't get to it till tomorrow either.

Played a little bit of Episode 3 last night and I just love Telltale's take on Batman so damn much. It's excellent stuff.

The end twist really surprised me.

Well, THAT was a surprise, huh?

We all thought the Children of Gotham were being lead by The Joker, right? I certainly didn't expect it to be Kim Basinger! (Batman 89 forever, bitches).

Anyway, here are my choices:

I kept my mouth away from dirty ol' Catwoman out of respect for Harvey... not that it ended up helping much. It's quite interesting having a physically perfect Two Face in play, although I suspect he's going to get that infamous disfigurement another way eventually.

I'm enjoying where they're going with the story. It really is Bruce's worst week EVER and, judging by the trailer for the next episode, it's going to get even worse!

Fuck Oswald, though. I'm ready to punch his teeth out now.

See the way I saw it...

If Harvey liked it he should have put a ring on it.  I tapped that and then I went out to raid her fridge for bagels and cream cheese.

You are definitely not the hero we need right now, Jmurdoch.

Also: I'm glad to see that the best bit of the episode is in GIF form already:

A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/155862/batman-the-telltale-games-series/30#post_4161159"]You are definitely not the hero we need right now, Jmurdoch.
[/quote]

I am the one we deserve though.
ASo, Episode 3...

Whaaaa--?

[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/155862/batman-the-telltale-games-series#post_4161141"]Well, THAT was a surprise, huh?

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]We all thought the Children of Gotham were being lead by The Joker, right? I certainly didn't expect it to be Kim Basinger! (Batman 89 forever, bitches).

Anyway, here are my choices:

[Image: 3B2ACBABF1155474300B5A8D5062F8E27841414B]

I kept my mouth away from dirty ol' Catwoman out of respect for Harvey... not that it ended up helping much. It's quite interesting having a physically perfect Two Face in play, although I suspect he's going to get that infamous disfigurement another way eventually.

I'm enjoying where they're going with the story. It really is Bruce's worst week EVER and, judging by the trailer for the next episode, it's going to get even worse! 

Fuck Oswald, though. I'm ready to punch his teeth out now. 

[/SPOILER]
[/quote]

You and 10% of players, Saxon... What the fuck is wrong with you?

Found myself with the majority on most matters this time round. Except that I

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Clocked the shit out of Owswald. Twice.[/SPOILER]

And when I got to the end of the ep I was especially glad that I took the opportunity.

Also, I now gather that these games are mostly the illusion of choice and are otherwise on some pretty big rails because

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]even if you did save Harvey last episode he still gets all Jekyll and Hyde on you? At least my version looks the part. Mayor Two-Face is all a bit weird, though.[/SPOILER]

Fun as hell regardless. I've kinda mellowed out when I'm in the Batsuit, but Bruce Wayne ain't taking shit off anybody at this point.

Yeah, that twist sure surprised the hell out of me.  Telltale's knocking it out of the park with this one so far.

Yeah, if this sticks the landing, it'll probably end up being one of my favorite Telltale games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Yeah, if this sticks the landing, it'll probably end up being one of my favorite Telltale games.

Agreed. It'll be hard to top TWD or THE WOLF AMONG US but it's getting up there.

They've just announced that Episode 4 is dropping on November 22nd. There's a new trailer out there for it, but it's very spoilerific so watch at your own peril.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

They've just announced that Episode 4 is dropping on November 22nd. There's a new trailer out there for it, but it's very spoilerific so watch at your own peril.

Thanks for the heads up.

Just finished chapter 3 tonight, and even though I've always been a sucker for Telltale games, this was the chapter that really pulled me into the story. It's also one of the few PC games I play wherein I use a controller. I love sitting back, soaking up the drama, making my little conversational choices ("Ooh, she'll remember that!"), and then still getting an adrenaline rush from the action sequences. It's not so much that they're hard, but it just feels great to get them right.

Also, I think this is simply a great Bruce/Batman story, period. I've never given a shit about canon, nor do the comics themselves from what I read sometimes, and I think this story (particularly what they've done with Dent so far) is mature and fun at the same time.

I know I gush about these Telltale games, but I do it unabashedly. This is entertainment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmurdoch View Post

Thanks for the heads up.

Bioware just emailed me and mentioned the big trailer reveal in the subject title, so it looks like you're going to spoiled on that anyway. Sad Ah well.

AIs the spoiler reveal you're talking about just the appearance of a character in the coming chapter, Saxon? If so it's unavoidable on the internet even if you're not looking at anything even related to the game.

Really looking forward to it regardless. And to how all this wraps up. And to playing the whole thing through again at least once more to see how it rolls.

Can you imagine how good the surprise would be if it hadn't been spoiled? Ah well.

Real shame there's only two episodes left. I could have easily played ten episodes of this.

Still not spoiled for me.  I don't know how the rest of you roll, but I find it incredibly easy to avoid video game trailers (for anything that isn't a tentpole FPS).

AI haven't watched a trailer; just seeing descriptive headlines on some sites blows something significant... And then I just got the email Saxon mentions this afternoon.

Guys, if the appearance of a famous Batman villain is a spoiler to you, I don't know what to say. It's not like Norm MacDonald is gonna pop up as Batman's nemesis.

Singer sure is salty that people were talking about Norm Macdonald in the Norm Macdonald thread.

Norm Fucking MacDonald!

I'm fine with that thread, just thought we needed more comedy talk.

Also, Batman's nemesis shows up in the Batman game.

A[quote name="Jacob Singer" url="/community/t/155862/batman-the-telltale-games-series/50#post_4176910"]Guys, if the appearance of a famous Batman villain is a spoiler to you, I don't know what to say. It's not like Norm MacDonald is gonna pop up as Batman's nemesis.
[/quote]

Number one: Norm as a Batman villain would be fucking awesome. I want a TV show now in the mode of '66 just so we can have celebrity bad guys and make that happen. I would cast him as the Joker. Or possibly King Tut.

(Occurs to me now the fact that WB doesn't just produce a Batman comedy series like that is leaving money on the table.)

Number two: The reveal is not that big a thing to me, but some folks consider anything a spoiler. They could have sprung it as at least something of a surprise, but decided they could get more eyes on the game this way, I figure.

Norm really should be The Riddler in Lego Batman.  And his riddles just take forever to set up, as he goes through these Russian literature-inspired digressions, only to settle on a really basic "when is a door not a door?" style puzzler that Batman brushes off before he finishes.  Just a time-consuming pest, like LB's Ned Ryerson.

Right after I typed that, I was thinking, "Norm can't really act, but he still might make a terrific Batman villain".

EPISODE FOUR

I'm sure I've already said this but if this sticks the landing - and there's been nothing to make me think it won't - then this will be one of my favorite Telltale games. Heck, it may even be one of my favorite Batman games. Because of Batman's comic book heritage, playing this episodically feels right in a way that none of the other Telltale games quite did. It really does feel as though I'm getting a new issue every few weeks, and Telltale have made full use of the fact that their game is essentially an Otherworld tale. All of the assumptions you've made, based on years of following these characters, are probably wrong. Heck, Alfred might turn out to be a master villain for all we know.

And that brings me to the latest episode.

I love what they did with The Joker here. He's not quite as insane as the character we know - hell, there may even be a sliver of humanity left in him here - but he's unmistakably Joker. It's almost a shame that they gave him green hair (would people really not know who the guy was?). After all, that smile is surely enough to give away the future identity of "John Doe". I'll have to look up the voice actor because they did a great job, taking elements of both Hamill and Ledger but managing to not quite sound like either.

Harvey is full-on insane now, although there's a brief moment where our old friend appears to come to his senses. There's always been a tragic element to Two Face - TDK certainly recognized that - and I think his character arc so far has reflected that. At one point Gordon told me we needed to take him down and I found myself choosing to give Batman a big speech on how everyone can be saved, and how we can't give up on Harvey. I'd love that to be the case.

I opted to take down Penguin rather than confront Harvey at Wayne Mannor. Not sure if that was the right choice given the ending but it sure felt good to beat the crap out of that idiot.

My choices:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/155862/batman-the-telltale-games-series/50#post_4178916"][CENTER][SIZE=20px]EPISODE FOUR[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

I'm sure I've already said this but if this sticks the landing - and there's been nothing to make me think it won't - then this will be one of my favorite Telltale games. Heck, it may even be one of my favorite Batman games. Because of Batman's comic book heritage, playing this episodically feels right in a way that none of the other Telltale games quite did. It really does feel as though I'm getting a new issue every few weeks, and Telltale have made full use of the fact that their game is essentially an Otherworld tale. All of the assumptions you've made, based on years of following these characters, are probably wrong. Heck, Alfred might turn out to be a master villain for all we know.

And that brings me to the latest episode.

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]
I love what they did with The Joker here. He's not quite as insane as the character we know - hell, there may even be a sliver of humanity left in him here - but he's unmistakably Joker. It's almost a shame that they gave him green hair (would people really not know who the guy was?). After all, that smile is surely enough to give away the future identity of "John Doe". I'll have to look up the voice actor because they did a great job, taking elements of both Hamill and Ledger but managing to not quite sound like either.

Harvey is full-on insane now, although there's a brief moment where our old friend appears to come to his senses. There's always been a tragic element to Two Face - TDK certainly recognized that - and I think his character arc so far has reflected that. At one point Gordon told me we needed to take him down and I found myself choosing to give Batman a big speech on how everyone can be saved, and how we can't give up on Harvey. I'd love that to be the case.

I opted to take down Penguin rather than confront Harvey at Wayne Mannor. Not sure if that was the right choice given the ending but it sure felt good to beat the crap out of that idiot.

My choices:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

[Image: 590B6EDC29D26AFBF21D7F2951B012BE53FCA559][/SPOILER]
[/quote]

Fun episode, if a little relentlessly dark-- but I suppose that's to be expected at this stage of the game. Is it just me, or did this ep seem significantly longer than the previous ones?

For once, you and I made all the same big decisions this time round, Saxon. A lot of these seemed like no-brainers given the duress you're under, but the universal percentages appear to be more evenly divided than ever. Curious.

My big takeaways are that "John Doe" is an obnoxious motherfucker, and I may have just had it with the Joker in general at this point in my life... and that I never, ever get tired of beating the living shit out of this version of Oswald Cobblepot.