Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Channel Zero (AKA Creepypasta The Television Show)

Yeah, I thought they did a good job at tying everything together for the finale. Initially, I wasn't overly keen on how they expanded on the existing story but, by the final two episodes, I really came around on it. They even came up with an explanation for the Tooth Child (Tooth Fairy?) that I quite liked.

Apparently the second season will be based on the CreepyPasta story "The No End House". I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it after pleasantly surprising me with the first season.

AI'm currently working my way through this (just finished the fourth episode) and I'm not thrilled with the way it's turned into a weaksauce made-for-TV slasher film. (Though appropriately enough, it's a common problem with this creepypasta stuff - "when in doubt, murder something gruesomely!") It really doesn't fit with the brooding nightmare feel the first couple episodes nailed so nicely. But I'll stick it out, and it's encouraging to hear that it gets it back together for the finale.

(Also, I'm going to chuckle like a bastard if my theory that the Tooth Child subplot is ripping off Hogfather plays out.)

I thot the trailers for the episodes were better than the actual, tho they gave away scary stuff with quick images--supposed to make you want to watch but they ruined surprises. Dunno, I stuck with it but after eps 5, I swore off the thing but then saw the 6th show was the finale, so I saw it thru. *yawn* Would be better served to simply read the story it's based on. Take up less of my admittedly lame already life. Won't watch next series--thanks Mr.Saxon for the info/link to the story for next series, saved me time to be used on something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Apparently the second season will be based on the CreepyPasta story "The No End House". I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it after pleasantly surprising me with the first season.

Jesus Christ. I had to stop reading after this passage: "There was a period where he wasn't online for about five weeks straight. I wasn't worried. He was a pretty notorious flake and drug addict, so I assumed he just stopped caring."

I love it. He's a drug addict. But they weren't worried.

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. I only made it through half of the story, but hopefully they'll be able to turn it into something worthwhile on TV.

I really liked this. The slow dread and build is well done and it's relatively well acted. It's a nice little story.

I really wish they weren't doing that story. There's much better creepypastas. None of them are well written really, but some are really great ideas. The Queen's Guard one would make a nice two episode miniseries.

Disappointed this isn't an adaptation of Brian Wood's 1997 comic book. = (

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I thought this was an interesting beginning although, whilst I admire the show's restraint by keeping the initial horror elements to a minimum in order to build dread going forward, I can already forsee that some will complain that it's too slow. It probably doesn't help that the main cliffhanger of the first episode is essentially the ending of the original Creepypasta story and so, for 50% of the audience who have already read the source material, the twist doesn't exactly hit. Still, there's plenty of potential and I'm looking forward to how they expand on that original tale for the remaining five episodes.

That's called mood and atmosphere, you know, those things that Horror movies use to have. Carnival of Souls is a perfect example of a great movie that uses pacing, sound design and score effectively which is why it's a cheapo Horror movie from 1962 that's revered today as a classic by some people including myself. I'd rather have a movie that gives a disturbing feeling of unease and dread rather than a chase/fight scene. A movie like Alien could never be made today because the first 45 minutes is all about building suspense. Here's another example of simple prosaic visuals given ambience because of their juxtaposition and the music....

AI do think there's a two hour version of this story that works better. But it was pretty good.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PolitiCat View Post

That's called mood and atmosphere, you know, those things that Horror movies use to have. Carnival of Souls is a perfect example of a great movie that uses pacing, sound design and score effectively which is why it's a cheapo Horror movie from 1962 that's revered today as a classic by some people including myself. I'd rather have a movie that gives a disturbing feeling of unease and dread rather than a chase/fight scene. A movie like Alien could never be made today because the first 45 minutes is all about building suspense. Here's another example of simple prosaic visuals given ambience because of their juxtaposition and the music....

Yes, but movies and television shows are two different beasts. You'd be in the right to be upset with someone who can't sit through the first 45 minutes of Carnival Of Souls because that's an 84 minute experience designed to be taken in one sitting, but I can understand someone who watches four hours of set-up over four weeks and wonders when things will start happening. It worked for me but it's certainly not going to work for everyone.

Well shit. I had no clue that this was only 6 episodes. I dumped it after 4 out of boredom. Perhaps I'll track down what I missed after reading that it's decent.

Anyone returned for the second season?

I have and it's better than the first imo. As I wrote in the challenge thread, the story itself is kind of rote but I'm loving the creepy imagery. It's the first TV show in a while thats actually scary.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

Ah, cool. I'll give it a shot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evi View Post

I have and it's better than the first imo. As I wrote in the challenge thread, the story itself is kind of rote but I'm loving the creepy imagery. It's the first TV show in a while thats actually scary.

Imagery is where CHANNEL ZERO excels.  Not that the plot is weak or anything - in fact, the John Carrol Lynch stuff in episode 2 hit me surprisingly hard - but this show plays with mood and atmosphere like no other genre show I've seen.

For whatever reason, the most effective stuff for me so far has been the kids wandering through these empty pristine suburban streets.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy dunlop View Post

For whatever reason, the most effective stuff for me so far has been the kids wandering through these empty pristine suburban streets.   

They double down on this in the new episode.  Its a really great episode, and legitimately frightening.

Yeah, so the first episode of Butcher's Block was really fucked up.  I have no idea why I'm watching this shit in the dark, right before bed.  That red head with the scissors really fucked me up and then the thing in the walls...only afternoon viewings in a fully lit room from now on!!!

The third season is already started?

I haven't even had a chance to watch season 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catartik View Post

The third season is already started?

I haven't even had a chance to watch season 2.

S2 was very good.  The first episode was quite freaky but i would call it more intriguing then scary.

AS2 has plenty of nightmarish imagery IMHO but the Father is by far the scariest thing in it. Never knowing what he is going to do, what he NEEDS to do. John Carroll Lynch > any freaky special effect

Also [spoiler] the lumpy zombie JCL that is always in that one room. Christ on a bike!
[/spoiler]

For me, the idea of this suburban purgatory / neighborhood in the middle of nowhere got under my skin more than anything.  Endless rows of well-kept houses and yards that just seem so empty.  The scenes where JCL is chasing the kids down these desolate streets is like something pulled right out of my nightmares.

S2 fucked me up in the best way. 

The first episode of Candle Cove freaked me out so much.  It was the build up of seeing the protagonist as a kid backing away from whatever was coming for him.  So much dread!  I didn't get past that point.  I can't remember anything in the next season disturbing me quite as much.  Honestly, I'm happy that it wasn't THAT scary because I totally would have skipped the rest of the season.  I'm a big old pussy!

ARe: S3 ep1, special mention must be made of their inspired use of the Cannibal Holocaust theme.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kf1Vt6r-sj8

A wink at where they might take things wrt the Peach family meat business. Also a piece of music that in my mind instantly juxtaposes a sense of floaty dreamy beauty with horror, sort of the same effect as when Julee Cruise sings Badalamenti & Lynch's "Falling", or Art Garfunkel with "Bright Eyes".
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Re: S3 ep1, special mention must be made of their inspired use of the Cannibal Holocaust theme.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kf1Vt6r-sj8

A wink at where they might take things wrt the Peach family meat business.

Indeed.  And after the second episode, it's definitely more than just a wink.  Pretty gross cannibal shenanigans this week!

I'm enjoying the way this season is taking shape, with the cop getting brought into the fold so quickly (that scene in the prison...), and the retired journalist's investigation into the Peach family.

Also, I just realized the main sister was the chick with the big glasses and the clam shell e-reader thing from IT FOLLOWS.

AOh god that thing in the brain
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Oh god that thing in the brain

That was nice wasn't it.

This episode really cranked it up.

Cranked up the gore and weirdness but definitely wasn't as scary.  What's with the conspiracy to free the eldest Peach son?  It's not like the city is prosperous because of the family.  What kind of hold do they have over the police chief and those other men?

AI'm at the point where I don't expect the show to scare me without fail every single week. It's more like a Lynch thing, where you have to let it wash over you, let it take you wherever the hell it wants to go.
AAnd just found out that the Scissor Lady and their mom is the same actress. Oh shit!

Ok, so that quick little chase through the hospital.  Holy shit.

I am so thrilled that this show exists.

AMeaty episode. Multiple Smart Mouths. Luke and his corrupted dad, Luke and Robert ("To us, you're just protein"). The queasy gateway cannibalism/self-harm stuff with Zoe. Taking the Babadookesque approach to Alice's encroaching mental illness with that psyche creature thing (I don't even know what to call it... It's like if Kayako from The Grudge was squirrelling away nuts for the winter, and had the personality of a chirpy overly inquisitive toddler).

And now she's gone up the stairs and through the door. Looking forward to next weeks episode. I think.

Just watched season one last night, and really enjoyed it. Now hyped for the following seasons. And SO GLAD they're keeping them to six episodes.

Good episode last night. This season is a bit more scattershot than No End House, but it still has a hell of a way with creepy images.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
ASo far the biggest mystery is why the lead actress hasn’t fixed her teeth. Good God, I don’t know why nobody’s told you, but you’re starring on a TV show here!

Those little baby monsters...is that what they're doing with the kidnapped children?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

So far the biggest mystery is why the lead actress hasn’t fixed her teeth. Good God, I don’t know why nobody’s told you, but you’re starring on a TV show here!

My ex had a little gap like that before she finally decided to get braces.  It's cute!