Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Exorcist" (Fox)

Has anyone been watching this?

It's four episodes in (including tonight), and I'm digging it.  There's a genuine creepiness that has lingered around through every episode, and it gets pretty violent despite being a primetime Fox series.

The story spreads beyond just one girl being possessed as well; there's a big subplot that might overtake the main story, considering the implications.

I recommend that people check this one out.

AIt's decent. First episode was the strongest so far IMHO, thanks to that Rupert Wyatt touch. It doesn't feel like every other supernatural themed show on TV, which is a good start. Obviously it can't hold a candle to the original film in any way, so it does the smart thing and tries for something different, and it's fairly successful e.g. the idea of giving a demon a representative human form in order to show the seduction of the girl, which is clever. The two main actors are solid, and I like that its becoming sort of a Catholic priest twist on the mismatched buddy cop story, with the differing approaches of achingly handsome noob do gooder Father Tomas and grumpy tortured bad boy priest Father Marcus aka Not John Constantine. The Marcus backstory seems quite interesting too.

4 episodes in and the show is definitely still holding my interest, from what I understand the ratings are not looking too good, though.

Not seen this but I hear its creator is a former Chewer who was a good guy (Jeremy Slater), and so I hope it manages to escape cancellation.

I thought the first episode while creepy was a little weak. the nest 2 i have seen (haven't watched the most recent) have  each gotten better as everyone seems to get into their character and story line better.

I am not sure on KCs father, he jumps from being almost childlike to very much aware. its odd, and kinda brings me out of the story as i try to figure out what his problem is (brain injury from the story line)

They have checked quite a few boxes off  from the original.

Twisting head 360 deg--check

Pea Soup..check

spontaneous urination--check

Its not a home run, but i am interested in seeing where it goes. I watched all of Damien and this has a similar feel but the acting is much better.

Y'know, I wasn't really interested in this show when I heard about it. There have been so many tv shows based on movies recently and they've nearly all been awful, so I figured I wasn't even going to bother with it. I read a review of the first episode which wasn't too flattering, and thus I consigned it to the same pile of TV Shows I Won't Watch which contained those Minority Report and Lethal Weapon shows.

But then I read this thread and people didn't seem to hate it, and I started noticing it being advertised around where I live, and someone on another forum wrote a lengthy post asking people to at least give it a try because they might be pleasantly surprised. Anyways, cut to earlier this week and I figured I'd watch the first episode - and I WAS pleasantly surprised. It wasn't trying to be a cheap paint-by-numbers version of the movie it was named after, the two lead characters were genuinely interesting, and I thought the attic scene toward the end was wonderfully eerie. I was left wanting to know what happened next and so I watched the second episode... and then the third. By this point, it was coming up to midnight and I had to be up for work in six hours... but there was one episode remaining and so I watched it.

Let me tell you; I recently watched Luke Cage - a show designed for binge watching - and I never felt as compelled to move onto the next episode as I did here.

I've always had a soft spot for horror movies about possession and I've really enjoyed following the possession of Casey. Hannah Kasulka has been incredible throughout, managing to move effortlessly from innocent and frightened through to twisted and possessed. The choice to show the demon in human form (and the way his appearance has deteriorated as the episodes have progressed) was a smart move by the showrunners - fully complemented by a great performance by Robert Emmet Lunney. 

This week's episode was really good too; smartly using the exorcism itself to payoff character beats it has been setting up for the two leads. I think the ending of the episode is going to divide some people but it worked like gangbusters for me. I wrote off this show as another dumb cash-grab using a popular title but, much like Hannibal, The Exorcist has proven to be a lot smarter than I gave it credit for.

It's a shame to hear that the ratings aren't so great but I'm not surprised; it's an easy show to write-off if you've never watched it. I just hope the word gets out there enough that it's worth watching, because I think everyone should give it at least one watch to see if they're pleasantly surprised by it. I know I was.

It's noteworthy that these seemingly cash-grab televsion spinoffs of classic films (Hannibal, Fargo, Bates Motel, this) which people understandably are cynical about but somehow end up being good, only seem to survive when they're not on a network.

HOLY.

GODDAMN.

FUCK.

AI don't think Slater and I ever interacted here, because I was lurking in those years, but I remember his posts fondly. I wouldn't have checked this out other wise, but I'll seek the show out on Hulu now. Thanks for the heads-up!

Binged the first five eps over the weekend. Not too shabby, actually. I'll stick around.

I loved how in episode 5 they...

...called the ambulance a "bizarre accident". Accident. Sure. It was just sitting on the side of the road, caved in on all sides, with all the crew dead, and the girl missing.

And that subway attack in episode 3 was certainly brutal, but I was kinda cheering for her the whole time. Fuck that scumbag, and fuck all the passengers who stood by watching him molest her.

Yeah, he definitely got what he deserved.

Glad to see this has its own thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

This week's episode was really good too; smartly using the exorcism itself to payoff character beats it has been setting up for the two leads. I think the ending of the episode is going to divide some people but it worked like gangbusters for me. I wrote off this show as another dumb cash-grab using a popular title but, much like Hannibal, The Exorcist has proven to be a lot smarter than I gave it credit for.

It worked phenomenally well for me, too.  In hindsight, I'm surprised I didn't see such a development coming, but I enjoyed being blind-sided by it in the moment.  I can't wait to see how that particular element of the story is going to play out.

It also feels like they're building up to something regarding the Pope's visit, and I can only imagine what that might entail.

I reckon the season cliffhanger will be the Pope getting possessed and that'll be the set-up for the second season (if we're lucky enough to get one).

Quote:

I reckon the season cliffhanger will be the Pope getting possessed and that'll be the set-up for the second season (if we're lucky enough to get one).

Could be!  That would be a pretty ballsy way to close out the season, for sure.

AI know that poster they keep showing of the Pope with his back turned and the "He is coming" tagline is supposed to be creepy, but it always makes me laugh.

I guess I will be the one to say the big twist in the last episode really didn't work for me. I liked that the show was sort of off doing its own thing under the "Exorcist" title, but with them now tying everything back to the Friedkin film I just know it's not going to be able to shake that fanfic feeling for me going forward. And obviously they couldn't get Burstyn back, but that dramatic Sharon Gless entrance was just goofy IMHO. Sorry.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

I guess I will be the one to say the big twist in the last episode really didn't work for me. I liked that the show was sort of off doing its own thing under the "Exorcist" title, but with them now tying everything back to the Friedkin film I know it's not going to be able to shake that fanfic feeling for me going forward. An obviously they couldn't get Burstyn back, but that dramatic Sharon Gless entrance was just goofy IMHO. Sorry.

I think it was the A.V. Club review where I saw it mentioned that the "twist" would probably cause something like a 50/50 split among viewers. It worked fine for me, because, even though I hold the original film in the highest possible regard, it's been decades, and I can't remember the last decent demonic possession movie or show I've seen. Plus, they can erase Exorcist II.

Quote:

I guess I will be the one to say the big twist in the last episode really didn't work for me. I liked that the show was sort of off doing its own thing under the "Exorcist" title, but with them now tying everything back to the Friedkin film I just know it's not going to be able to shake that fanfic feeling for me going forward. And obviously they couldn't get Burstyn back, but that dramatic Sharon Gless entrance was just goofy IMHO. Sorry.

That's perhaps a fair concern, but we don't yet know how this is going to play out.  There are plenty of elements (the exorcist nuns, the organ harvesters, the backstories/arcs of both priests, the upcoming arrival of the Pope, etc.) that don't necessarily need to end up tying back into the original story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

I think it was the A.V. Club review where I saw it mentioned that the "twist" would probably cause something like a 50/50 split among viewers. It worked fine for me, because, even though I hold the original film in the highest possible regard, it's been decades, and I can't remember the last decent demonic possession movie or show I've seen. Plus, they can erase Exorcist II.

That's a worthy goal if ever there was one.

AThat's true, I should probably give it at least a few more episodes. And I have to admit, the part with the nuns and that alternate exorcism was one of the more original things the show has done. Definitely interested in seeing how that plays out.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen that version of an exorcism before. It was funny seeing Deanna Dunagan as the Mother nun, as I only know her from The Visit and she played a character who was... well, definitely less than Saintly.

AAh, The Visit... So that's where I recognized her from. And Peter McRobbie, her husband from that movie, also plays Matt Murdock's priest on Daredevil! (Wonder how many Hail Marys it is for pushing a diaper filled with excrement into someone's face?)
Quote:

Ah, The Visit... So that's where I recognized her from. And Peter McRobbie, her husband from that movie, also plays Matt Murdock's priest on Daredevil! (Wonder how many Hail Marys it is for pushing a diaper filled with excrement into someone's face?)

Holy Crap. I've watched both seasons of Daredevil and that connection didn't click at all when I watched The Visit!

AI do have to say, I like how this show looks. There are at least three or four "wow" shots per episode.

I'm surprised how they've actually made the rogue Priest concept work without seeming like an SNL sketch.

That said, I would actually like to see an SNL sketch about a rogue Priest who carries a gun and doesn't live by the rules.

A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/155936/the-exorcist-fox#post_4158661"]I'm surprised how they've actually made the rogue Priest concept work without seeming like an SNL sketch.

That said, I would actually like to see an SNL sketch about a rogue Priest who carries a gun and doesn't live by the rules.
[/quote]

With this week's dinner party sequence, the show continues to add interesting and unexpected wrinkles to the proceedings.  Some definite SEVENTH VICTIM/ROSEMARY'S BABY overtones going on.  I also think the way they're dealing with the implications of the last episode's big revelation feels pretty believable and human.

"Time to give the people what they want"

Really good episode this week, even though I saw the ending coming from quite some distance away.

Man, I'm two episodes behind. Need to catch up.

Quote:

"Time to give the people what they want"

Really good episode this week, even though I saw the ending coming from quite some distance away. 

I saw where they were going, too, but it was still a strong final beat.  I'm still struck by how intrigued I am by the broader storyline going on involving the Church; I think it's expanding the supposed "mythology" of THE EXORCIST in unexpected ways.

But why the hell are they taking two full weeks off from new episodes?  I can understand skipping this coming week, as it's a big travel week here in the states, but the week after, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

I'm still struck by how intrigued I am by the broader storyline going on involving the Church; I think it's expanding the supposed "mythology" of THE EXORCIST in unexpected ways

Yeah. As a 24 fan, I kind of like the idea of a Jack Bauer-esque race against the clock to stop a conspiracy storyline, only it's not Russian terrorists or Jon Voight behind everything - it's motherfucking Satan himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

But why the hell are they taking two full weeks off from new episodes?  I can understand skipping this coming week, as it's a big travel week here in the states, but the week after, too?

It's just confirming what we all know. Fox is run by demonic forces and they want us all to suffer.

Quote:

Yeah. As a 24 fan, I kind of like the idea of a Jack Bauer-esque race against the clock to stop a conspiracy storyline, only it's not Russian terrorists or Jon Voight behind everything - it's motherfucking Satan himself.

Somewhere, Dan Brown just ran to his typewriter.

Oh, I suspect the Christmas episodes will be a joy to watch.

I'm now catching up on this show (which I dismissed initially as a cheap IP cash in) and it's great, creepy horror television. Solid cast bolstered by solid writing and some unsettling gore effects really makes this a pleasure(?) to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

I'm now catching up on this show (which I dismissed initially as a cheap IP cash in)

I've heard this from almost everyone who is now into the show. Part of me wishes they'd just called it something else (but, then, the other part of me likes how its tied to the franchise).

Gotta wait until the 9th for the next episode. *Sigh*

Quote:

I've heard this from almost everyone who is now into the show. Part of me wishes they'd just called it something else (but, then, the other part of me likes how its tied to the franchise).

Gotta wait until the 9th for the next episode. *Sigh*

Even going back to the first couple episodes, I bristled at the idea of calling the show "The Exorcist."  Now that we know how it's connected, the title is more appropriate, certainly.  I do wonder what an alternative might have been that wouldn't have so directly reminded audiences of a cheap cash-in while also still allowing for there to be a connection to EXORCIST mythology.

They could have called it THE HERETIC, since an argument could be made the show is the real EXORCIST 2!  Heh heh...

AIt's like HANNIBAL. Getting people to watch that was like pulling teeth.
A[quote name="Agentsands77" url="/community/t/155936/the-exorcist-fox/30#post_4183303"]It's like HANNIBAL. Getting people to watch that was like pulling teeth.[/quote]
Which pissed me off to no end because EVERYONE who I turned on to it came away loving it. Without exception. And I turned a LOT of people on to it. I lost count of how many seasons of it I bought as gifts on DVD or blu just to get them started. Doing the lord's work, I was..